1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Tribute To Leo Harrison III & Family

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 548, Aug 23, 2013.

1. 548

548 Guest

Please post your favorite picture and/or story.
  2. SF SGM

SF SGM Member

Sep 21, 2006
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Several years ago at the Grand during the Winchester Open, I ran the first 100. Ran into Leo and of course, he ran them as well. Told him I got you this time Big Guy. He laughed, said good shooting and stuck out that big paw, needless to say, there was no triple figures in the afternoon 100. The following year at the Dollar, he, I and others ran a 100 during one of the preliminary singles. Sitting in the golf cart with several friends, the Big Guy walked up wi that Beretta slung over his shoulder, asked how I shot and I told him that I have him right where I wanted him. He laughed and if course congratulated me on my 100, smiled, laughed and replied, carry over. Dropped the first target out and I let him off the hook again... Yeah right. LOL

We have not just lost perhaps the greatest trap shooter but more importantly, a truly great man and I know Leo would want us to remember him not as a great shooter but more as the man he was. That is what we should all strive to. A great man, husband, father and someone who leaves this world a better place. Leo did just that.

Lord must have had an empty spot on his squad and he surely picked the right person to fill it but watch out, for we all know Leo will run them on you. Rest in piece Big Guy, you truly left us too soon but blessed all of us with who you are..

3. zeebheath

zeebheath Active Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Mt. Zion Illinois
    On a very chilly day in October, 2011, we traveled from Mt. Zion, IL to Ka-Tonka Sports Club in New London, MO for our kids to have a day long clinic with Leo. Our children, Regan & Garrett are pictured here with Leo. It was a beautiful autumn day and the kids learned so much!

When we were getting ready to start the clinic, we thanked Leo for taking the time for the kids that day. He smiled and said, "Oh, this was no problem at all. You see we are having a family auction next week. You just got me out of having to help get ready for it!"

Believe me, it was our pleasure.

4. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    God's Country
    At the 2003 Grand at Vandalia, I had my Jr. and Sr. SCTP teams there after winning at the Texas State Shoot. Myself and several of my kids were walking thru an area, and one of the kids said, 'There's Leo Harrison'. Leo was sitting there playing cards with a couple of guys. So, I said, 'Well, go up and say hello'. The kids went up there and stood at the picket fence thing and said hello to him. He got up and came over and shook all of their hands, and said a few words to them. They were in awe of him. He was very gracious, and a kind gentleman. That's all the kids talked about on the way back to Amarillo. That is how I would like to remember him. Charlie Henderson
    Stretch28 thanked this.
  5. extopfuel

extopfuel Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Beretta Tribute to Leo

Leo Harrison

On August 22, 2013, the shooting world lost a legend and a great friend in Leo Harrison. Leo was universally beloved as a generous competitor, taking time to help fellow shooters, even during competitions, in giving tips, mentoring, and coaching. Among his professional accomplishments, Leo was inducted into both the Missouri Trapshooting Hall of Fame and the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame. He served as captain of the ATA All American team 12 times, more than any other shooter, and won 26 Grand Championships. He was also inducted into the ATA Hall of Fame.

A lifelong resident of the state of Missouri, Leo is a legend in that state, where he was known not only for his award-winning shooting and other hobbies, but for his great kindness as well. That is what most will remember him for, and certainly what we at Beretta will remember as well.
  6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Fortunately, I was able to grab some pictures of Leo with friends and with peers at the California State Shoot, 20012. Gentleman in power chair is Phil Ross, blond lady is Mrs. Karla (Leo III) Harrison, and candid shot between vehicles is Leo just hanging out for a time visiting with Phil, who he knew back in "the day", and with friends from So-Cal. These pictures were taken on a very beautiful and happy day. May Leo again be finding that happiness and may Karla and Family once again feel the sunshine of

Will post pics later, this is via Android, primary computer just broke with a virus...
  7. Janet

Janet TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    As I said in another post, Leo's gun lays silent, but the echo of his shots will remain.

My story is a simple one. When Leo was losing weight after surgery in Tucson, Arizona, he stopped by my shooting accessories booth to look at some shirts.
    My partner, the late Craig Duda and I were talking with him and he picked out a shirt, I believe it had a picture of a Tiger on it. Anyway, it was a 2X and we all laughed as he told us he had never seen a 2X shirt. A couple of months later, he appeared (as he did so many times on the cover of Trap and Field) wearing that shirt and I was so proud, there he was with that fabulous grin wearing our shirt.

Again, R.I.P Leo and sympathy to family and friends.
    Janet, formerly CJ Enterprises
  8. seitz245

seitz245 TS Member

Jan 11, 2009
    I first met Leo when i was a young junior shooter at the Md. State shoot years ago, i was about 13. I was sitting down in the clubhouse eating a fruit bowl. Mr Harrison came and sat down next to me with 2 fruit bowls. I was so shy and was so scared to say anything to him knowing he was one of the best. We chatted for a while and then went on our way. a few years later my father and i went to the Grand in Ohio and i walked up to him and introduced myself just to see if he would remember me, and you know what? He did! As years passed i have had the great pleasure of shooting with him all over the country from time to time! Trapshooting has lost The greatest shooter of all time and his shoes never be filled in my opinion! RIP my friend. You will be missed by all! And thank you for the memories of shooting with you! It was a true pleasure.

Dave & Andrea
  9. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Camdenton, MO
    Maybe 4 years ago at the Fall Handicap at Linn Creek, I was standing with friends in front of the clubhouse just after the doubles championship. Those tied were called for the shootoff. Leo was standing close by with his Beretta over his shoulder waiting to be called to the line when a gentleman and his teenage son walked up to me and asked..."Do you know Leo Harrison"? I said yes. The man said "Would you introduce him to my son, Leo is my son's hero". I said yes, but if you would just go up to him and introduce yourself, he'd be happy to meet you. They both did just that. Leo stood talking with the boy for some time and missed the shootoff entirely.

Karla comes from a dedicated trap family. Her dad, George Herron was an avid shooter, supporter and gave much of his time to the MO MTA organization. As many of you know, Karla was by Leo's side for most shoots. What more could any man ask for. A good wife from a good family, a friend, confidant and his biggest fan.

Two of the most special people I've ever known.

10. Rach's Mom

Rach's Mom TS Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Karla and family, our deepest sympathy for your loss. From the beginning of our venture into the trapshooting world the one name that always came up of the "Best of the Best" was Leo Harrison. When we had the privelege of meeting him and watching him shoot we knew why. While at first you might have been intimitated by his shooting and his presence his kindness and humility put you at ease. He has been the greatest of inspirations for many and I know that we have had the greatest of respect for him. Not only for his amazing talent but because he was a true gentleman. I see that as the common theme of all that has been said of him. Leo set a wonderful example of sportsmanship, he was one of a kind and we will surely all miss him. Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family Karla. Monte and Dana Hoover and Rachel Hopkins
  11. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Sep 26, 2010

In 2012, I signed up to take two back-to-back Leo clinics at Casa Grande, Arizona. Karla called me to question such a decision as she thought there might be too much redundancy from taking the two clinics back-to-back. I insisted that is what I wanted to do mostly driven by my difficult schedule. I learned a lot from Leo during those four days.

On my first relay from the line, I shot one of my rare 25 Straights. Leo joked that I was supposed to miss some so he would have something to work with. I assured him that I would miss quite a few before the four days was up.

When it came time to fit our shotguns, I did not have any adjustable-comb spacers for my Browning Citori. No one else had any spares either. Leo found an assortment of loose or unnecessary metal washers in his pickup truck and used them to fit my shotgun to me. I will keep those metal washers on that shotgun with fond memories.

On the third morning, I accidently got sprayed with suntan spray in my eyes. With my eyes burning and staggering around blind, I knew that I would lose that whole day. Leo personally drove me to a local pharmacy and got me taken care of. By mid-morning I was back on the line.

We discussed old farm tractors a lot during the breaks.

In those four days, I learned what a very fine gentleman and human-being Leo Harrison was.

12. The Greek

The Greek Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Magna, Utah
    Many years ago I was in Tucson for their shoot prior to the Spring Grand that was in Phoenix. I had gone down with a couple of friends who's squad was already filled for the Spring Grand. We had gone out to dinner one night and we were joined by Leo, Frank Hoppe, Ricky Marshall and Jim Overstreet. They happened to have a hole on their squad and Leo said no problem,you're shooting with us. During the week, Leo and I broke the only 100 straights in the preliminary doubles and of "course" I lost to him in the shootoff, LOL!!! In one of the handicaps, he was 99 straight and the last target was a flipper that went several hundred feet straight up in the air and was clearly an illegal target but he shot at it anyway and just smoked it!! He was a wonderful man and I always looked forward in seeing him when he came out to Vernal. May his memory be eternal.

John Vosnos
  13. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2007
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin
    Years ago at the Wisconsin state shoot, a friend of mine tied Leo in a handicap event. The shoot off was held under the lights and my friend shot from 20 yards and Leo shot on another trap from 27 yards.

My friend beat Leo by one target and Leo went up to him and gave him a sincere congratulations and a hand shake. My friend said that he felt bad that he won only being on 20 yards and Leo on the 27.

Leo told him he won fare and square and he should be proud of his accomplishment as he was proud of him.

Later that year, my friend ran into Leo at the Grand in Ohio and Leo remembered his name and again congratulated him for a good shoot off win. Although my friend no longer shoots, this was the highlight of his trapshooting career.

When someone of Leo's stature remembers your name it means a lot, especially to a 20 yard shooter as Leo treated him as an equal. The greats from all sports could learn something from Leo on how to treat people.
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2016
  14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Scottsdale, AZ
  15. yukon_870

yukon_870 Member

Jul 14, 2008
    He was a true gentleman and always seemed to take the time to chat with you or sign a autograph when at the Grand American. He will surely be missed!!

16. rossi690

rossi690 Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Leo came to Canada a couple of years ago and put on a clinic I attend. I learned more in one day from him than in all of the years I've been shooting. He'll be sorely missed, and I'll never forget him. All the best to Karla and family.
    Keith Arkley
  17. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Feb 25, 2008
    This picture was taken in 2004 at the COC and it is one of my favorite pictures.

I remember hauling Trap&Field to 10 th grade study hall in 1971 and reading about Leo in his younger years.

We had him put on a clinic at the Watauga Gun Club several years back and he was quite the gentleman.....

Our prayers are with all of his family.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2009
    IL(The gun friendly Southern Part)
    Some Sparta Grand pictures of Leo...........

My oldest son and myself with Leo at a Clinic 2009

Simon Engraving thanked this.
  19. Not1/2Bad

Not1/2Bad Member

Jan 8, 2013
    I remember going to vandalia in 1976, they had a special event, i believe it was call the modified olympic but it is known now as wobble trap. I was 16 and remember it like it was yesterday. It
    Was dark and they were shooting under the lights, Leo called for his target, smoked it and spun the center out of it. Then with the second shot, shot at and smoked the center disc. I thought holy crap, that was the luckiest shot i ever saw. Yea well i stood there for
    The remainder of that 25 targets, and i watched him do that same thing several more times, on low targets, high targets, and angle targets. I am still amazed by that today.
  20. Red Dot 1

Red Dot 1 Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The Big Guy was the best in every category of shooting, playing cards, being a friend, assisting when needed or asked, being a wonderful individual and just being Leo. I would bet my last penny that all would agree to these comments. The mold was broken after Leo as there shall never be another individual like him. Attached are some older pictures and I am sure you can find the Big Guy in them. R.I.P. Leo as you will be missed by all that knew you.

Roger Smith Wichita, KS

Search tags for this page

leo harrison

leo harrison 111
leo harrison 3rd

leo harrison iii

leo harrison iii trap shoot

leo harrison lll

leo harrison trap shooting
leo harrison trapshooter