1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Survey -- Rx Shooting Glasses?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GW22, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GW22

GW22 Active Member

A couple weeks ago many of you helped me develop a strategy for visual focus prior to calling for the bird. Now please do me a favor and tell me how much benefit you got when you first started using prescription shooting glasses (instead of your regular Rx glasses/sunglasses):

1) IMMEDIATE, SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT (consistently better scores)

2) SLIGHT, BUT DEFINITELY MEASURABLE IMPROVEMENT (better scores)

3) NO IMPROVEMENT OR TOO LITTLE TO BE CERTAIN (it would be no big deal if you had to compete without them)

Thanks,

Gary

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

help!

[​IMG]

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Gary...It helped me find my way to the Silver Dollar from the Tampa Airport....

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Settle down, Funnypants - this is a serious thread!

-Gary

PS: Did you happen to see my trophy while you were down there?

[​IMG]

5. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I'm near sighted so Rx lenses do wonders for me, experiment with colors everybody perceives color differently. Good Luck----Ross Puls

6. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

mega benifits. I need to give you my trophy from the cardinal it may be better than the geese. oscar

7. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Any of you shooters that are one eyed shooters...just have the prescription put in the eye that you keep open ...Even if you shoot with a patch you will only need one lens Rx....

Hey Gary...that trophy looks like the one I won in Mi....

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I can't imagine shooting without RX shooting glasses.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto wireguy......breakemall

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I have cataracts and they limit the brightness of the sunny day, but my fave Decot is clear prescription. Medium target orange sometimes, but clear should be good for a lot of shooters.

11. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Gary, it's the frame design allowing the shooter to look into an area of the frame not usually offered with regular frames that give the most benefit, all else being equal. Certian lense color(s) offer other benefits, depending upon personal preference. Since eye protection is required anyway, it's in the best spirit of trap shooting to spend as much as possible on any shooting related accessory.

Best....mike

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I'm far sighted and a weak distance Rx works best for me. HMB

13. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Fred has the best explanation yet. Also like it was posted above just because one color works for one person doesn't mean it works for another.

Two Dogs....Having only one eye I can tell you that having the RX on only one eye might not be the answer. The weights of the two different lenses will sag the glasses to one side. Even with my regular glasses the prescription is the same in both lenses.

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I reviewed this question and thought process with my eye care doctor and his optician. I wear a nicely fitted clear lens', and occasionally use a Clip-on lens tinted yellow for dark cloudy days. I never received any benefit personally from a lot of differant shaded lens colorations. Although many shooters place a lot of money into shaded optics. Good Lord made us all a little differant!!

15. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

Best decision I ever made was to get RX shooting glasses....

16. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

When I went to CLEAR lens shooting glasses with ANTI GLARE coating I found the perfect glasses for myself in all conditions. When it's really bright I wear a hat. No hats unless it's really needed, the more light the better to see the birds. Bill

17. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

18. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I cant believe you guys can shoot better if you can see better? Jeff

19. GW22

GW22 Active Member

But that's the thing, Jeff - I feel like I can see just fine with my regular prescription glasses & clip-on sunglasses. So I'm trying to determine whether the Rx shooting glasses will make much difference, and understand why.

Slayer mantioned anti-glare. If I don't ever recall glare being a problem with my regular glasses, does that mean I don't need this option? And what about polarized? One could easily spend over $500 with all the options and a few colors so I'm trying to eliminate what I don't need.

-Gary

20. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why don't you try the Autumn Gold from Morgan Optical with your distance correction. That's not to hard to figure out is it? It just might be your next 200 straight. Not that expensive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.