1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A suggestion for David....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I'm one of the moderators at a site that gets a huge amount of traffic, much more than this one. I was the original moderator, but it grew over the years to the point where one mod could not possibly handle it all. We have a dozen now. Most mods only mod one board, but we can operate site wide if need be. And we prune the offensive stuff and attack posts out, plus any other rules violations, and even ban the violators if need be and block their IP addresss.

One of the main things that helps separate the wheat from the chaff was to have boards based on topics. By this, we have boards for specific topics, plus a general discussion board. This keeps the posts on topic for the main boards.

I don't know why a general discussion board wasn't added here long ago. It would address the issue of those who don't like to see such posts mixed with "legit" trapshooting posts, and it would allow a mod or mods to police up the trapshooting board more easily and quickly.

The other thing is to add more mods. The moderation here is pretty light handed. That's good from the standpoint of expression. But it also tends to overwhelm a mod with a lot more work. The trick is to get people to mod who appreciate having as much free speech as possible but who have no qualms about whacking attack posts and 'crap-stirring'. It would also help for working towards eliminating as many multiple logons as possible. If the mods are too heavy handed, that will drive users away as surely as being ineffective.

Note that we effectively mod our site WITHOUT REGISTRATION. That this site has these problems WITH registration shows that it simply does not have the manpower to police itself.

Also, we have a page set up ONLY for the moderators, which requires a password. This is so the mods can discuss and be on the same page with each other for policy, etc. The site owner also posts there and lets his policies be known. It also works to help ID malcontents, so they can be tracked and dealt with.

The bottom line is this site has grown enough that it needs to evolve. What I'm suggesting is an effective and simple way to do it, without inconveniencing users or making sweeping changes.

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Brian ... great suggestions but to be honest why not delete your message and send it privately to David. Posting it like the way you did only opens it to everyone to comment and suggest and to be honest ... I would bet that about now David and the moderators might be getting a little tired of everyone suggesting (telling them) what they should do.

3. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I would think that David and the Mods would consider any suggestion offered by positive posters. If I were them I would lay back for a while and take notes. I wouldn't be surprised if their assembling their "naughty and nice" list right now.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Setterman ... take a look at the other thread ... it is full of suggestions from telling them that they should make it a pay site to requiring that you must provide an NRA or ATA membership number and all sorts of other things and the worst thing is you have 8 or 9 or even more of the exact same suggestion from people who aint even reading the dang thread before making the same dang suggestion as a lot of others.

If ya have a suggestion to make contact them privately and make the suggestion or else do it this way and before ya know it this thread will also be over 100 messages long and everyone giving there views and opinions and most of the being the same.

I do like though that to be heard he decided to start an entire new thread to do it with a very precise subject line ... and if your able to read between the lines like so many others around TS.com can do with everyones posts he is also giving his moderating resume with the hopes of being a moderator as well.

5. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

I agree totally with what Lumper has said. It would have been more logical to have emailed these suggestions direct to David ,which I [for one] think are a good ideas. Why didn't you do that Brian?

6. Little Limber

Little Limber TS Member

Lumper, I agree with you a lot and allot is not a word.

LL

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When I read about the problems that this site is having with abusive posters, the personality that comes to mind is Lumper. I don't know the person behind that personality but Lumper tends to take a nasty bite out just about every post. Why does it need to be that way? The person behind Lumper obviously knows quite a bit about the shooting sports and really could provide useful advice just drop that juvenile humiliation crap. Your position in life cannot be elevated by bringing others down. Lumper you can improve this site by doing some work on Lumper.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

wolfram ... now who is attacking who. You and others who have problems with people tend to whine and attack them. The problem most have is ... yeah I may not play nice with others at times but when I see somebody do something stupid I will be brutally honest and point it out and if that rattles the cages or ruffles the feathers of some ... well ... to bad but I tend not to sugar coat anything.

I do like though how your taking an opportunity to attack when you really had nothing to say about anything except to act in the a way that is a problem on this site.

9. Vince McNamara

Vince McNamara Member

Lumper needs to go quail hunting.

10. lumper

lumper TS Member

Vince ... nice attack ... shows how some really are.

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Wolfram.............It's sometimes necessary to be able to recognize and appreciate brilliance and not get it confused with your own ideas of what is or is not the smart thing to do. Its alot like the difference between a hero and a coward.....many times there's a very thin difference. Lumper is NO coward.

12. Brian in Oregon

To counter Lumper's assertion, I absolutely do not want to be a moderator here, nor will I be. I've got my platter full as a moderator elsewhere. I gave my moderating resume because I am speaking from experience.

It's a bit late to delete my post and email it to David. The thread would still remain. So whether that is a good idea or not is moot at this point.

My only goal is to try to help see that this site does not go away, and to help improve it without drastically changing it.

If you believe that, great. If you don't, nothing I say will matter.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Brian ... if you delete your post I will delete mine and then ... well ... either the others will delete theres or this post will just hang out there and make no bloooky sense at all.

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Hipshot, I didn't refer to Lumper as a coward, but I do want the person behind the peronality to know that the 'brilliance' has a negative effect on other posters. This is a specific area where Lumper does have the ability to improve the quality of this site. Perhaps this is just my own thought, kind of like saying we don't need more cops just better citizens. Probably a bit unrealistic.

15. Onceabum

Onceabum TS Member

I don't know how this site could get along without lumper hipshot, POD, sawed off and maybe buzz-cut but I'd sure like to find out. I'll bet the idea appeals to David too.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know ... I have said it before ... if the moderators of this sight see a problem with what I say or what anyone says they can do what they feel they need to do. I would suggest you contact them if you feel there is a problem and tell them what you think but but I do remember reading very recently that they were about sick and tired of dealing with whiners.

Now if the shoe fits ... and if it doesn't fit than ya got nothing to worry about.

17. Brian in Oregon

The difference is, Lumper, I'm not whining. I'm making a constructive suggestion.

Since you're so vocal about this, do you have a motive for this not being on a publicly visible thread? Considering your track record, it would give one pause for consideration.

18. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Brian....Please understand that I did not intend to imply in any way that your motives were not pure, I just wondered, as did Lumper, why your suggestions weren't made direct.....thats all! And you have answered that nicely! Thanks!

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Lumpy, I find it hard to believe you have the audacity to suggest anything. I find you and your buddy hipshot nearly as offensive as the P-O-D. Your sense of humor needs much to be desired. Get a life pilgrim. Ben

20. Brian in Oregon

Hipshot, the thought never crossed my mind with your post. It's not a bad suggestion, but as I said, it's a moot point now. Lumper keeps ragging on it, so that's why my eyebrows are rising now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.