1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A stupid question????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by fritzi93, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

My opinion: Porting is a gimmick, the benefits claimed for it are, shall we say, minor. But that's just my opinion, so everyone can suit themselves. [wink]

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The only reason is to anger the poor fellow(s) next to you. Well, there is to support your gunsmith....Bob Doidd

3. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mike...I've been asking myself that same question ever since I spent a pile of money and Magnaported a whole bunch of shotguns and rifles back in the 80's.....pisses me off to think how many cases of AA's or Blue Magics I could have bought for the same money!!...loved them Peter's Blue Magics!! Gimick indeed!!....

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

There are a couple of Brownings that I'd own if I could buy them without porting!

I have shot numerous guns with and without porting and can't tell a difference in felt recoil or muzzle flip. My biggest gain in quickening up the second shot in doubles was to go with a 7/8 oz load on my first shot. This also saved me money at the same time. It's hard to beat 7/8 oz of 8.5's going 1250 fps for the first shot on doubles.

ec90t

5. tcenfarms

tcenfarms TS Member

it hasn't made a difference for me

6. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

Porting a shotgun barrel does nothing except make them louder than hell! None of my barrels are ported and I stay in the gun and see the target break just fine.

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Making them loud is as good a reason as any to port your shotgun- plus it looks really cool.

8. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Mike,

I might be able to diprove your theory about making a Model 50 feel like shooting a .410. I found a box of Federals that I loaded a long time ago that have 37.5 grains of Blue Dot and 1 1/4oz of Kentucky 9's! LOL.

ec90t

9. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

The purpose of porting is to reduce muzzle rise therefore reducing cheek slap. You might question whether or not porting does this effectively but I'm having a hard time following your logic that it might be beneficial for the first doubles shot but not otherwise??

John C. Saubak

10. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

Bigbore, have someone take some video of you shooting and I think you'll see your muzzle rise even with your perfectly fitted stock.

11. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

My Grandfather once told me liquor was made to sell not drink! Could porting be the same theory??

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

OK Mike------so if YOU don't like porting then don't get it, you pays your money & you makes your choices.

So------why'd ya bring the subject up?

John C. Saubak

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Am I the only one who gets sick & tired of the monthly "porting" thread??

At least the monthly "7 1/2's or 8's" thread has a little humor to it for chri$$ake

John C. Saubak

14. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

I used to have a Mauser conversion in .270 Winchester. Had it Magna Ported (they are just down the road) and the next time I took it to the range the guy next to me swore it was a .300 mag!!

15. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

Mike.......My 101 did not kick any more then my Perazzi, so if it had been ported I would have said it helped.

I have had Angle Port do some for me, maybe because it looks good and might help also.

My TMS was already ported when I bought it.

Then again my late model Cole is not ported and shoots smooth. Ray.......

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I tested this recently using my two Citori Plus guns...both are as new and tight 32" barrel guns...1 ported and 1 unported(pretty rare)and can honestly say there is not one bit of difference..not even on doubles...but them holes sure look sexy don't they?

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

deckart,

yeah----gettin cabin fever here, not much snow tho'. Might fly down to Billings this saturday for the Darryl Graff shoot weather permitting?

John

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

John the constant repeat of some threads is that some feel the need to continue to put their presence in front of you for what ever dumb reason.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.