1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Soldier

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mette56, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

There's been alot said recently on this site and in the media about our military soldiers. President Obama decorated an Army Ranger yesterday with the Congressional Medal of Honor. Second one in recent months. As one who was not accepted in because of diabetes, I have a special love for those who serve. My dad was a highly decorated Bataan Death March survivor. What I want to share is this. Some years back I was invited by a local church in Coffeyville, KS to feed the 891st (and their families) as they returned home from war. I own BBQ restaurants and have mobile smokers that will feed 2000 people fresh food in one day (one smoker will do that). So we donated and raised money locally for the event. When I was welcomed at their facility, I was treated as if I was their commanding officer. It was like I was the hero in the room (NOT). They all had "hat-in-hand" in respect to myself and my crew. We were lucky enough to feed this group and their entire families on three occasions. I have to say that in my 65 years on earth, no human has had an impact on me like that group did. Was it just that group? A year later, we lost our home and business in the flood and National Disaster in Coffeyville (2007). One of the toughest parts of the disaster was the local police who were overworked and overstressed...and it showed. Shortly, the military showed up. Lined the flooded streets and greeted and consoled flood victims as we were all in shock and in a daze from the disaster. You had to have been there but I saw young soldiers cry with victims over their loss. There is more to this story and there are thousands of like stories around the world of our soldiers giving not only blood and guts, but a kind-gentle and loving hand to those in need. I honestly believe that the soldier's "brotherhood" is not just within their own ranks or particular division, but includes all people in need world wide. Wow, what a blessing we have...A Soldier.

milt

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing that. You are quite the 'soldier' yourself for stepping up and providing a service to feed our fine soldiers.

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Milt, thanks for a great story.

Hauxfan!

4. Trapshooter1

Trapshooter1 Member

Great story. This is the kind of subject I know we can all agree on.

5. oldman_1949

oldman_1949 TS Member

http://oldbluejacket.com/americanwarrior.htm

6. Hal1225

Hal1225 Member

Mette56 my neighbors brother was beheaded on the Baatan Death March. His name was Michael Serduck. Also 13 fine young men who lived on my street died in combat. My neighbors brother and her fiancee were killed. She never remarried.
    My Dad fought on the USS ShangriLa aircraft carrier. John McCains father served on her too. I have a picture of him on the ship from my Dads belongings. I am very sorry your father had to suffer the brutality inflicted upon him. Thank you very much for your thoughtfulness. I want our Soldiers to come home now before more get killed and wounded. Thank you very much for sharing your story.

Harry

7. mette56

Thanks Matt and all for the cudoos, but anything I've done in return for their sacrifice is but one drop of water in all the oceans on earth. Harry, my dad was decorated for subversive activity while in captivity. He earned the trust of the Japs, then stole them blind to help his men who were dying in captivity with food and medicine. Dad was with the med detatchment of the 200th Coast Artillery. When he returned after being liberated, he brought with him a list of names and address of families of those who died under his watch. He promised each that, when and if he returned, he would contact those families direct and relay last words. That he did. Then as a typical soldier, helped others over and above the call of duty for the rest of his life....

Best thing I can say about my dad...he was A Soldier!

milt

8. Champion II

Champion II Active Member

9. bigunn

bigunn TS Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=ASETse4oNlI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

10. mette56

try this

11. mette56

Biguun,

This it it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what is a trap shooter soldeir