1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A simple poll - 1 oz for ATA?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dverna, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dverna

dverna Active Member

Haps post on another thread raised a question. Hap alluded to the dumbing down of the game. It seems the ATA is afraid to act for fear of losing membership.

Therefore, how many ATA shooters would stop registering targets if a 1 oz load at 1250 fps where to become the maximum load permitted?

Please do not vote if you are not a current ATA shooter. "Club shooters" are the backbone of small local clubs but are not currently supporting the ATA. Although the ATA is interested in attracting new shooters, it seems paralyzed by concern to retain the members it has.

I agree with Hap's view that we lose new shooters because of the "perfection" perception. If the ATA had a study that showed it would lose x% by accepting a change it would be dealing with "facts" (or at least a relative number) in evaluating a change. There must be an acceptable risk to justify a change.

For example, if the downside is a membership loss of <1% it may be an acceptable risk to effect a long term gain.

I would shoot ATA with 1 oz loads. How do you feel?

Don Verna

2. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

I think 1oz loads is an idea whose time has been long overdue --- and I wouldn't have any problem supporting a reduction to 7/8oz loads. Either one would have more than a few beneficial effects.

3. 682Fan

682Fan TS Member

I have been shooting 1 OZ loads for years, at 1180 FPS. I see no difference, in fact I believe this load patterns better in my gun.
    Arnie

4. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

No problem here for 1 oz loads. Less shot on the ground, Less shoot offs, Less targets to use. Less perfect scores. Maybe lower cost to shooters.

5. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

1 oz is ok by me -- 7 1/2 or 8?

6. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

I can miss just as good with any size of load

7. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

One ounce, yes! With a 1325 ceiling, for the 27. This will allow me to approach 1300 at the 27. This would help to match a 1200 load at the 16.

8. smsnyder

So far 9 for 1 against

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I have no problem with 1 oz @ 1250.

I shoot 1 oz. and 1 1/8 oz. To be honest I see no difference in my scores with either. In fact, my average might be ever so slightly higher with 1 oz. but I haven't kept accurate enough records to prove it.

10. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I only shoot 1 oz loads from the 16.
    I would have no problem if the ATA mandated 1 ounce only.
    I'm an ATA Life Member.

Mike C.
    Groveland, CA

11. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Since 1 oz. is what I use now, I certainly wouldn't have any problem with the new rule.

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd still shoot if they mandated 7/8oz loads and threw verticle targets. It wouldnt be my ideal game but it's still shooting. I'd just suck more than I do already.

13. smsnyder

12 for , 1 against, 1 no problem if manditory

14. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

1 ounce max.1200 fps.fine for me. The standard trap load in earlier days was 1-1/4oz @ 3 1/4 DE. I plan on shooting our Zone handicap this Sunday with 1 ounce of #8s. These are Federals @ less than $5.00 a box with tax. I'm only a 23 yard handicap. Clyde

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

I'll vote for a 1 oz. max load.

Curt Jones

ATA Life Member

16. smsnyder

WOW 14 for 2 against.

17. wtjohnso

wtjohnso Member

1 oz. loads @ 1250 fps are fine with me.

I only started shooting in the Summer of last year and registered in April of 2011. I've broken 500 of 550 registered singles and, 300 of which were at the State Zone shoot. I won my class with 193/200 using 1 oz. GC's.

I'm thinking of going to 7/8 oz. for singles and starting handicap with 1 oz. @ 1225-1250 fps.

18. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I'm against it-I would quit and just shoot local clubs.

19. magicman

magicman TS Member

I agree,1 ounce max.

20. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I stopped shooting registered targets in 2006 due to a vision problem but I'm an ATA life member, so I guess I'm eligible to vote.

An ounce - actually 15/16ths of an ounce - is all I've used for 16-yard targets, registered or not, for 14 years. I buy new STS one-ounce shells and reload them to 1,150 fps. They shoot nice and soft and the only targets they don't break are my fault. I broke a lot of 100-straights and two registered 200-straights with them from 16 yards, so I don't buy into the theory that they are much of a handicap - at 16 yards.

Now for handicap, since I'm a 27-yarder who was never much good from back there, I don't know if dropping from 1-1/8th to an ounce would hurt or help! But I'll vote for them for everything.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.