1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A short story about.......

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by neofight, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neofight

neofight TS Member

....good folks in Minnesota. A few years ago, my brother, who lives in Hibbing, Minn, asked me to fly out that summer and do a little Walleye fishing. I was born in Minnesota, but had not been there in 60 years. My brother, who lives in Hibbing, picked me up at the airport, took me to his place and we left the following morning to go fish. We stopped at a place called Joey's Bait and Tackle, not far from Hibbing as i recall. We picked up some live bait and a package of hooks and made our way to a nearby lake, about 3 miles from Joey's.
    We were fishing off a dock on a lake created by the filling of a played out iron ore mine, when we heard someone cry out:"hey mister, did you just buy some things at Joey's Bait and Tackle?(I don't think he spoke in upper case letters)"Yes we did, but who are you?" This boy, who was riding a bicycle the three miles to the lake on a warm summer day, was the son of the store owner.

He went on to say that his father had over-charged us .25cts for the hooks. I said to him:"you gotta be kidding me, you didn't ride out all this way to give us a quarter!" He did and he did. I was blown away, while my brother thought little or nothing of the event. Joey had given me a pencil with store advertising on it and as it turned out, it would be put to good use.

We fished every day, killed many Walleye and a few Pike and ate like royalty before settling down to a good bourbon before calling it a day. I meant to go back to that tackle store and thank the old man, but fishing and visiting with brother got in the way.

I came home a week later and the first thing i did after putting my gear away was to call Joey on the number on that pencil, which i did and thanked him, not for the .25cts, but for the lesson in integrity, fairness and just doing what's right. I also thanked him for being such a good model for his young son.

Three years goes by and it's winter. My brother calls. "John, you have to come out here again, we're going to go ice fishing" "Oh sure", i said, but i did and it was cold as i have ever been. We fished Red Lake to the North, in a tent, wind howling like a Banshee, ambient air was about -20, probably -40 with the wind-chill, but we were fishing, after we got the auger to work for the 31" of boring ahead of us. I was just a little bit envious of the guys in their custom, heated ice houses with 6" of insulation and flat screen tv's.

We caught fish, had a lot of fun, but i told my bro that i needed to go do something before i went back home. We drove back South, then over to that little town ( name escapes me) to drop in on Joey who had only met once, about three years earlier.We stopped out front, got out of the car, started to walk in and Joey, who was at the counter, said to his wife:"Look ma, it's that fella from California".

This all sounds a little silly, i suppose, but after living most of my life in busy Kalifornia, putting up with a certain amount of rudeness, so many people having little or no time to relax and enjoy the day, it was so refreshing to meet some really salt-of-the -earth folks who gave me .25cts and a million dollars worth of good feelings.

Joey and his wife and son were not the only ones. The guy at the counter where i bought my fishing license, the station attendant, the waitress at the coffee shop...all good people who behaved as though the business i gave them meant something and i suppose it did.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Short??

3. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

Nice story!

Shane

4. TC

TC TS Member

Thanks for sharing a good story. Think this is pretty typical for Midwestern values. Not like some other places.

5. neofight

neofight TS Member

TC, the more i speak with and get to know midwesterners, the more i think you're right.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Great story.

Almost like being transported to Mayberry RFD.

7. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

I bought equipment at Joey's also. The young man rode out to where we were fishing and said his dad had overcharged us fifty cents. We gave him five bucks for being such an honest kid. The next year, we again stopped at Joey's. The same kid came up to us at the place we told his dad we would be fishing. He said his dad had overcharged us two bucks and gave it to us. We again gave him five bucks to reward his honesty. This year, we're going to stop at Joey's, go fishing, strip that kid down and get our ten bucks back. We'll be $2.50 ahead, plus whatever he returns to us this year.

8. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Eightbore, are you from New York or Chicago?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.