1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A SHOOTER BROUGHT BACK SOME GREAT MEMORIES!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO:
    i was at the waukesha state shoot the other day. a man walked past me with a beautiful rem 870 all american grade shotgun. i told my friend luther, look what this man is shooting. luther told me this guy shot the doubles using this pump gun. boy, did this bring back some good memories. i love to shoot pump guns. i have shot registerd doubles with a pump, but honestly, i stunk at it. i use to watch vic pump the doubles, boy he was good at it. sometimes taking the 2nd shot a foot off the ground. I never saw rudy pump them, but would have liked to have seen this. i wish i could have seen arnold rigger shoot them too. vic told me a secret of his regarding pumping doubles without short shucking them. he would first place a dummy load in the magazine tube and then another shell behind it, and one in the chamber. he said he felt it kept the 2nd shell to be fired in line, and that helped him not to short shuck his 31. the old veterans on this sight know what i am talking about. to the newer shooters, you missed out on a great time period in our sport. did any of you ever see some of the old time greats shoot doubles with a pump at the grand or at other major shoots? if so, please tell us about it.
    steve balistreri

2. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

senior smoke:

I started out pumping a 870 on doubles but wasn't to good at it but I wasn't really to good at shooting singles either but im sure I could shuck em at doubles a lot better than in the past but I wished I could had watched some of the greats you mentioned shooting doubles wished I could start all over again times was better back then for sure.

Foggy

3. trpshtr2001

trpshtr2001 TS Member

I wonder if he shot a release trigger ?

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

The only way to shoot doubles is with a slide gun! I've never saw any of the greats as I didn't start shooting until just a few years ago.

I've done this many times and prefer to use a BPS Trap. These just dump the hulls on the ground right in front in front of you. The action is crisp and clean. I will set up a Remington 31 one of these days as I feel that is the smoothest of all the slide guns!

ec90t

5. senior smoke

ec90t- you are correct, the rem 31 was the best pumping gun i can remember. infact i was told told it had the shorest stroke to pump. i also have a bps trap, it is a great gun. being left handed i really like that it drops the shells straight down on the ground.
    steve

6. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Oh yes, the memories, I saw Rudy shuck em. I learned skeet with a Model 12 w/cutts on it. I once was over 100 straight in practice at the club and won several belt buckles with it. Then the short shucks hit and I was history with the pump. Can't explain it, just couldn't beat it. Love to watch a master at work with one, a tip of the hat to them that can.

7. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

About 5 years ago at the Okla state shoot, squaded with a young man (early 20's) He was using an older 870 Really shot that gun well, 1st bird outta the box and second about the time it apexed. really fast for a pumper and shot 90 something for a score. Don't know his name but it was a real pleasure to watch.

Bob

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

Senior Smoke,

I saw Rudy shoot 'em, but never Vic, unfortunately...one question about Vic's purported "dummy shell" technique - how did he get around the issue of his dummy being dropped onto the lifter after he ejected his 2nd round?

Just curious...

9. senior smoke

watching a good pump shooter is really an art. it is fun to watch. years ago a local gun club owner told vic reinders" vic as good as a shooter as you are, can you imagine how much better you would have been if you would have shot an over and under in doubles? vic had a fit. some of the local waukesha gun club members purchased an over and under for vic as a gift to shoot doubles. he could hardly hit anything. he sold it and purchased a remington typewriter.
    steve balistreri

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have shot doubles at times with my 31. Seem to do as well as with the OU, bout 70, gettin better though. Gonna shoot for 75 next time.

11. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I shot sporting clays with a young man shooting a model 12 and he was REAL good with it.

12. RogerNRA

RogerNRA TS Member

I saw a guy last fall at an Indian shoot at Brittany shooting park shooting an 870 with a laminated thumbhole stock. He was as quick as anyone on the line. Fastest pump gun shooter I ever saw......Roger

13. Rip12

Rip12 TS Member

Maybe you guys are on to something.
    A special division of doubles for Pumps only. My best with a model 12 was only forty. I think it lots of fun shooting doubles with a pump!

14. senior smoke

i miss the days when you would go to an ata shoot and see mostly model 12's, rem 31's, 870's, 1100's, browning o/u and an occasional ithca 4 E.
    steve

15. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I need to practice more, but I can usually break a 90 shooting doubles with a slide gun. 7/8 oz load for call birds and 1 oz for second shots does the trick for me.

I tried a few years back to sponser a trophy at the Indiana State Shoot for the high score, in doubles, shot with a slide gun. There was very little intrest from the powers to be.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.