1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A shoot with no-class awards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ronbo142, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Wanted to get the opionion of all those who shoot Trap and Skeet.

Would you shoot in a Major Championship where there were NO CLASS awards. There would be added money for CH-RU-3rd

You sign up pay your fees.

<li>Would add a "Division" for every 25 shooters, and use a Lewis class system</li>
    <li>The top score(s) would come out of the calculation and get an award</li>
    <li>Would then calcualte the Lewis winners</li>
    <li>Ties could be shot-off or split</li>

So if 100 shooters entered the event there would be 4 division. The top scores to include CH - RU - 3rd (ties shoot off or split) Then run a the scores through the lewis class calculations and shoot off or split purse or prizes.

Thoughts

Ronbo

2. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

I will loose a lot more shoots than I will ever win. I am just starting out and I am a D class shooter.
    Having said that, I would rather shoot practice than to shoot in a shoot where I have a snowball's chance at winning.
    Why pay the extra money unless you need the targets.
    Most shoots I shoot at will give you a pat on the back if you win anyway (there are no awards, just cheap targets) But at least you are shooting against shooters of your own level.

This is my take on it...

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Ronbo- It would not be my idea of the best program but I would rather shoot it than stay home and not shoot. When I look at a program, I pay attention to the location of the shoot, the date of the shoot and the number of events so I can bring enough of the correct shells. I don't pay attention to much else in the program.

Pat Ireland

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Would work fine at large shoots, but anymore a lot o ATA's at the small clubs are lucky to have 50 people shooting an event, let alone 100. The reason more people shoot 16's than handicap is the class system.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Some of the people I shoot with have no class. Would that be an advantage?

Don Verna

6. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

The intent is to come up with a way to draw interest. I will shoot not matter what but again need ideas what will make you want to go to a shoot as a NEW shooter or a OLD shooter who is disenchanted with the game.

7. Aggie.

Aggie. Member

Down in South Texas they have "Fun Shoots" where they have a $5.00 purse, $2.00 is paid to Champ & R/U 60% 40%, and then all of the rest of the money is divided into 3 lewis classes, BUT everybody from the top of the first lewis class down to the bottom of that lewis class are in a shootoff. And so on for all three Lewis classes. So everyone but the top two scores are in a shootoff. That way you are shooting off against people that should be about your ability. But they shoot 27 yard Doubles, or wobble trap etc in the shootoffs.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are no shoot offs in the Lewis Class. The reason there are more 16 yard competitors than handicap shooters at local shoots is because we don't like having to sit arournd for 3 or 4 hours between events. HMB

9. Rick Barker

HMB

Yeah, too bad the 16's and Handicap events can run concurrently.

10. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"what will make you want to go to a shoot as a NEW shooter or a OLD shooter who is disenchanted with the game."

A chance at a very valuable prize like lots of money, a vehicle, an all-expenses-paid vacation, a new Perazzi combo with a custom wenig stock, free shells for a year...you know, stuff like that. This is said somewhat toungue-in-cheek, because I don't think anyone can afford to offer these kind of prizes.

I heard we used to have big shoots like that. In today's world, though, we would get people complaining that they wouldn't attend because all of the big dogs would be there taking everything, although that could be somewhat countered by having a number draw for a special shoot off, like they do for the K-80 Special at the PA state shoot or the Parliament Coach at the Grand.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There's a no-class award?

I could win that!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Rick,

If they tried to do that the moon would leave orbit and crash into the earth. But maybe some day they will take a chance and run them at the same time. HMB

13. Rick Barker

HMB

I would think this would speed things up especially at small clubs with only 4-5 traps. Have 2 doing 16's, one long yardage and the last one mid-yardage. Shoot 50 birds at each hanidcap trap, then switch to the other one.

Let people shoot on a 1st come, 1st shoot basis. Run the Special Event before any shooting and run it for 1/2 hour only. Make up some 2 part tickets for both singles and hanidcap, clearly identified with event and shooters name. Give one part of the ticket to the shooter and he can surrender it at the 1st trap, where the puller attaches to score sheet, maybe sticky labels.

14. Rick Barker

Missed Some

I have never shot Sporting Clays, can you please enlighten me?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.