1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A serious question about trap and skeet (I swear)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Feb 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I only shoot sporting clays, so when a buddy of mine asked me this question about the above pictures, I didn't know the answer.

In SC we have a bin in front of every station to toss your empty hulls into. It keeps the range cleaner, and makes cleanup easier at the end of the day.

Why don't they do this in trap and skeet?

394785132.jpg

2. jwells

jwells Member

would you want to bend over to pick up a shell at a skeet club?

3. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

>> would you want to bend over to pick up a shell at a skeet club?

Well played sir :)

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Most trap and skeet shooters could never get them in the bin anyway, either to lazy or not enough talent to hit the bin. They figure it,s easier to let someone els pick them up. jmho, Bill

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

At our Trap club - 2 houses - we ask all shooters to police their our hulls so we don`t have to clean up when our day is over . Eventually some get by and we do clean them up but 99% are picked up by the shooter or their kids . Never had a problem this way in 5 years when we had this posted . Some ranges look terrible if they aren`t cleaned up daily . For us old folks , I made a 5 ft thin wall pipe with a speaker magnet on the end that can handle about 6 steel based hulls so no bending in necessary .

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Our club has buckets at each station and everyone picks-up after themselves. (Almost, some irregulars need instructions to do it.) The club looks nice and neat. Another local place doesn't require shooters to pick-up or bucket and it looks like a disaster zone, such a mess. I think ALL clubs should require shooters to pick-up after themselves.

7. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

They would fill up with snow.
    setterman_2008_030393.jpg

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Trap - Usually has CVR voice releases. Noise from dropping shells in a trash bin would likely result in target losses.

If you have pullers, you could put bins at each station.

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I shoot trap and a hull falling into a bin will not set off a voice release. The main problem is auto's. Shell catchers will work well on singles but doubles hit the ground in either game. Our club is volunteer, no one on the payroll to clean up, so we rule that shooters must police themselves. I am a bit surprised that no one has stated the obvious. Hulls play havoc on lawn mowers!

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I shoot trap and a hull falling into a bin will not set off a voice release. The main problem is auto's. Shell catchers will work well on singles but doubles hit the ground in either game. Our club is volunteer, no one on the payroll to clean up, so we rule that shooters must police themselves. I am a bit surprised that no one has stated the obvious. Hulls play havoc on lawn mowers!

11. hoov

hoov Member

It is very annoying when the shooter before you throws his spent shell at the container when you are about to call PULL. I can see it would work for Sporting, and Skeet, but not for trap.
    This is why we wear a shell bag on our belt. {hoov}

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

guys, we have buckets at each station and i have yet to see one throw a target from the sound of a hull being thrown into a bucket. it's not a drum.

also no one has every complained about them making too much noise when shooting because that sounds is incredibly minimal and never bothers anyone.

but this way the club is nice and clean at all times.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

We use a five gallon bucket in front of each station next to our Canterbury mikes... we also drilled drain holes to avoid accumulating moisture.

BTW, we tell everyone that "Hazel" doesn't work here and that everyone picks up their own hulls at the end of each round - we request that shooters refrain from dropping shells into the buckets during a round. Buckets are then emptied by volunteers at the end of every shooting day into a recycling bin.

regards,

Jay

14. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Our club requests that members and guests pick up their hulls (skeet and trap). At registered shoots they are allowed to hit the ground. We have a device that can be pushed along the ground and it picks up hulls. We police the grounds after registered shoots.

Our Sporting clays range has containers but are seldom used. There is a lot of hulls on the ground there. Our trap boys make extra money policing the SC range and it makes us both happy.

Bob

15. porky

porky TS Member

If you are worried about setting the voice callers off, place one of the plastic grocery bags you get at Wallyworld on the bucket with the edges hanging over the lip of the bucket. Pick the plastic bag out of the bucket at the end of the day and the hulls are all cleaned up. And for the northern shooters, pick up the buckets too.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Well, geez....All the durn burn sportie shooters are so rich they can throw away their hulls.....

Around here guys reload, even the gun clubs and federal cheapies.

We have a barrel on each field that suffices. And periodic mining of those barrels sometimes yields riches.

HM

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The buckets are a reasonable approach but not without their own down sides. Problem #1 comes in the Handicap event where the buckets will have to be moved. Problem #2 is that the buckets will blow over and probably go for a walk in a moderate wind. Problem #3 is that the buckets will get full and need to be emptied during a decent sized event. Problem #4 a lot of guys just don't want mess with the hulls, when they are shooting they want o concentrate on just that.

The good news is that it isn't that hard to police up a fields after the shooting is done ... two guys and 10 minutes and its done. We use plastic hay rake/scoops. No bending and the field looks nicely groomed when we are done. Being the all-voluteer club that we are, there is never a problem with getting guys to get this done and we never leave hulls on the field after we are done shooting. On our registered shoots we pay kids to score and load houses, in their spare time between events they rake hulls and at the end of the day they do a final clean up - thats what their job requires.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Some of you will probably not like what I am about to write. Regardless, this is how I personally feel. Years ago a gun club was a haven for most men to hang out and shoot. We could talk about the shooting sports, light up a pipe, cigar, cigarette, tell a dirty joke now and than, basically we did not have to be on our best behavior like when we were with our wife and kids, or girl fiend, etc. Vic Reinder's did not even want a phone installed at the club fearing wives and girlfriends would bother us.

What has happened to us shooters, as well as most gun clubs today? A few years back a friend of mine struck a match to smoke a cigarette and one of the help at the club jumped over the counter telling him they no longer allowed smoking inside the gun club. So he smoked outside in 10 degree weather. I understand about all the health issues etc, but let me finish. One guy was telling an off colored joke and the person in charge told him he was afraid that someone might be offended. May God help us if we have some fun and possibly offend someone. Nowadays, we have more women shooting than ever before, and I think that is great. What I don't like is how some men and women bring their young children to the club and expect either management to watch their kids while they shoot or ask fellow shooters to watch them. The reason most of us are at the club is to get away from all this crap, otherwise we would have stayed at home.

Whats the answer? I found a gun club that the owner is old school. You can smoke inside their club if you want. If someone does not like it, take a breather outside until that person or persons are finished. If you feel like telling a dirty joke, go ahead. We don't have to worry about kids hearing the joke as there are none at the club. This club is for adults and not children that need to be baby sat. What we have at this club is plain old fun like years ago. Now lets here how terrible this is!
    Steve Balistreri

19. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Before I forget, at this same club we just throw the empties on the ground and they have no buckets. They have the trap help pick up the empties because the owner says that's part of their job.
    Steve

20. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

One of the clubs I shoot at regularily DOES put out plastic 5 gal buckets by every post, empties hitting the bottem of the bucket WILL often activate the Canterbury voice release's. I think they could be "fixed" with a little foam rubber but as it is they waste a bunch of targets. Personally I reload my hulls and drop 'em all in my pouch or bag.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.