1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A serious question about a strange thing I do

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Happened again yesterday. In doubles, I broke my first bird and my release trigger must have hung on the second bird. The gun did not fire. Without thinking, I took two awkward steps forward with just enough balance to keep from falling over. Why do I, and some others, move forward when out gun does not fire? Are we leaning into the recoil without being aware of what we are doing?

Or, do we do this to just get the rest of the squad to snicker?

Pat Ireland

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

It might just be proof again that those that use release triggers still anticipate recoil. (Flinch)

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Subconsciously you think you're on a battlefield somewhere and that if your gun doesn't fire, you have to attack with bayonet.

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer Pat. I tried a release and I cant let go, just move forward and lean into it like you.

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Hey, if you can't shoot it, run it down.

6. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Normal anticipation of recoil. No different than I've seen (or done) when shooting singles and the gun doesn't fire. Generally when your shooting at a bird on your dominant side....

jim

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Sportshot: BTW with all due respect, you ought to learn the allowable failure to fire rule by now.

8. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Pat, I remember doing that a few times some time ago when I first started reloading. It was almost like I was trying to trying to throw the shot at the bird. Mike

9. AAA 27 AAA

AAA 27 AAA TS Member

If a man could slip a dud into anyone's trap gun, including All-Americans, you would witness very similar results. Don't be so hard on yourself, it's natural.

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Ya know if you used a pull/pull trigger you would not have that problem.

BTW ... dont you consider yourself a possible safety risk if your taking 2 akwards steps with a loaded gun while on post?

11. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

Pat:

I watched the good doubles shooters on Sunday to see if I could pick up some of the things that they do to get myself better at shooting them. Myself and the shooters sitting next to me saw that exact same thing. As a matter of fact one of them told me to watch them lean into the second target. All of the good shooters leaned into the target. Now I'm not sure if thats a good thing or bad. I was going to practice doing that the next time I shoot doubles.

12. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Jerry ... have you ever thought that possibly concerning rule 17.48.A3 that Pat could be declared a safety hazard and be asked to leave the line because of his awkward walking with a loaded gun? Suggesting that he practice it and that it could be an advantage to him might actually be a ... oh ... never mind I get it now.

You want rule 17,45.A3 to be used and then he will be disqualified ... good thought, never mind ... keep practicing Mr Ireland.

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Newbius, and who do you expect to enforce that rule-a 16 yo female puller!

Pat-you have a normal reaction to "no recoil" that is experienced by many. Sure does upset the systems for a few shots-doesn't it!!

14. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Pat,

Whether you believe it or not, what you are doing is correct for proper gun technique. You are swinging to the second target and leaning into the bird. The recoil of the second shot is what you use to counter act all of these forces. When the gun fails to fire, you keep swinging and it will throw off your balance.

Don't change a thing!

ec90t

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Several posts above is one by Gary Stallard. He was scoring when I did my two step. Several people have stated that leaning into the gun is good technique for the second shot on doubles. But, I have also made the forward movement when shooting singles. I seem to have a no fire about once every two years and my body remembers how to stumble during the interval.

Pat Ireland

16. Hank Cross

Hank Cross Member

This is a great reminder of the "ball and dummy" exercises we used to practice shooting the M-1 service rifle offhand. The rifle would be loaded by the coach and even the most Distinguished Rifleman would give a wild flinch with a dummy round. A quick road to humility.

Hank Cross

17. otnot

otnot Active Member

Pat if you want to break this dancing habit. Have someone load your gun for you alternating live rounds with a snapcaps,and after a couple of boxes of shells you will be cured. That is until the next time you have a dud. LOL

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Your anticipating the shot. Simple as that.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

otnot- But what do I do if it turns out that I am a dud?

Pat Ireland

20. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Pat,

Try Terry Jordan's wall chart. I found it to help with recoil anticipation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.