1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A scary moment!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rick Barker, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

While casting shot in my Littleton Shotmaker today, I had a close call I was totally unprepared for. I put a few ingots a handful of wheel weights and a cup or more of reclaimed shot in the pot. I was working on my hotrod and figured I could listen to the Shotmaker run and when I heard it slow down I could go add some more lead. The Shotmaker sits between two doors with good ventlation and when I work around it,I have have a full face shield and resperator. I usally wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants. Since it was hot today, I was in shorts and a t-shirt.

While one the other side of the garage, with my hotrod between me and the shotmaker, I head a load k-pow!!! As I put my face shield on, to see what happened, I noticed lead splash around the Shotmaker and on the floor of the garage. From the noise level, I figured it had to be a small round or shotshell primer. Sure enough, on the floor about 20 feet away, I found a 38 bullet that was un-rifled. I never found the case, but figured it had to come from the re-claimed shot I was re-casting.

This recliamed shot I buy is normally clean of any debris, but does have some fine dust in it. I usually pour the shot out on a pan or tray and look for foreign objects, but the history of this shot being clean of such foreign objects caused me to stop that practice. I will never skip that procedure again. I can tell you the round was not mine. When I bought the reclaimed shot, I did not mix it with any thing else and kept in the containers I bought it home in.

While I doubt the round would have caused death, the hot lead splash could have caused some serious burns. I have my Shotmaker sitting about 16 inches off the floor, into a metal waste basket which allows a longer drop through the cooling fluid. This allows me to operate the machine for longer periods of time before the fluid gets too warm. I know some people that run theirs on a bench around 3-4 feet high. My shotmaker came with a warning to operate it close the floor as possible. Easy to understand why.

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Strange things happen. Glad you are ok. A while back I was burning some clay pigeon boxes that I had brought home hulls in and my little dog and I were 25 feet away when there was a loud explosion and my dog squealed and immediately started trying to jump up on me. As I picked him up them was blood all over my hand and there was about a half inch hole in his lower side. I rushed him to the vet and it turned out to be a 22 hull from the fire. No idea how it got there but I check the boxes now before burning. My dog to this day doesn't like fires and won't get close to one, even a fire place. LOL I was sure glad he was ok. Jackie B.

3. Rick Barker

Shooting Jack

I'm glad your little dog survived. I think some people can be very careless where they dispose of their unfired rounds. Whenever I have a dud, I destroy or dismantle it.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

i was told that if you do not have shotgun shell in a barrel, all a shotgun shell will do is fizzel out. a hall of fame trapshooter told me if you put a shell in a vice and hit the primer with a nail, it just fizzels out. obviously, he was mistaken. glad your dog is ok.
    steve balistreri

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I recall reading a very lengthy study on ammo in fires; probably 20 years ago. This study seemed to prove that a "cooked off" cartridge is not anywhere near like a cartridge that is secure in a chamber with all internal pressure having only one escape route (out the barrel of a gun) but still is not something to experiment with while dreaming up silly things to try.

Also, I know of an incident where a lady, wanting some attention, opened up one of her husbands 12 ga. reloads, dropped out all the shot pellets, stuck the shell in a shotgun, held the muzzle to the side of her head, and managed to pull the trigger. The plastic wad within the shell entered the head, punched an exit hole in the skull, and scattered brain matter on the wall and ceiling. A later trial we did at the gun club had a wad-only shell punch a hole through several layers of cardboard target boxes. This was in the '70s and I don't recall just how many layers of cardboard but it was impressive to us.....Bob Dodd

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Now, if you take a trap shell and place it in a Winch M-12, then remove the bbl, place a double brown grocery bag over the end, the shot will not leave the bag.

I won a few $5 bets at the club many, many years ago.

I've also been hit in the arm from a round going off after dropping it into the reloaded bucket. The BBs bounced of my arm and didn't leave a mark.

Doug

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have burned a lot of trash at my club. I have absolute proof that a 22 going off inside of a 55 gallon metal can will produce a noticeable dent inside the can but will not go through the can. A shotgun shell will make a sizzle noise and cause a lot of sparks to fly out of the fire and can cause a small grass fire. A small grass fire can lead to a modest section of woods on fire. The fire Department has only been called to my club once (so far).

I am also convinced that White Flyer, Remington and Federal target boxes all burn with equal vigor.

Pat Ireland

8. capvan

capvan Active Member

All of our household trash goes to a large, commercial incinerator. I once asked someone who works there what would happen if loaded rounds (any type) ended up in this incinerator. His response was "a few more BTU's". Seems the commercial incinerators are impervious to this thing. BTW, home burning outside (except for campfires) is now banned in Vermont. Used to be that every home had a "burn barrel" outside.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

it's well documented that a loaded cartridge when heated will explode sending the lightest part (the case) at significant velocity to do some damage.

be careful out there...

10. Rick Barker

Fred.........

I was not trying to tell the world I was dumb. I was trying to share a personal experience so that others might benifit from it. While I was watching what I was doing, someones' careless disposal of a pistol round into a barrel of lead shot ended up in my shotmaker. Even though I watched the shot pour into the ladle, I did not see the round.

I short cut one of my self imposed rules to inspect all the shot, (before putting it in the melt) because my past experience with the source had proven it was clean before, but I will not make that assumption again. Anyone can have an accident, but your odds can be tilted against you when some dips--t gets careless and does not properly dispose of an unfired round of pistol ammo. Why in the world would he/she toss it in a barrel of shot being sold to the public?

11. crusha

crusha TS Member

We appreciate your story, Rick, and it was a good one. Even if that round had been an empty case, it could have had water in it.

Historically, due to economics, most trapshooters purchased the shot they reloaded, and have no experience running a small foundry shop in their garage. The economics have changed, pushing more people into making their own shot, so all stories of the type you offered are appreciated.

12. Rick Barker

buzz-gun

I know it was a live round, due to the report and the slug I found on the floor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.