1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Retirement Story - OT

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by timb99, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Not me, mind you. I won't be able to retire for a loooong time.

A friend of mine just announced his retirement, so I shot him an e-mail with the usual good luck sentiments. He sent me back this little story, which I thought was pretty good:

A wandering wise man came to a village where he found a old man who beat his head against a wooden post in the town square for the entertainment of others. Passersby would drop coins in his bowl in appreciation of how very well he did his trick. In fact, the entertainer was so good at his 'job' that the bowl had quite a few coins in it. The wise man threw in a coin of his own and sat down in the shade to watch the act.

After several hours of beating his head against the post, the entertainer took a break and came over to sit next to the wise man.

"You are very good at what you do," said the wise man, 'but I have a question for you. Doesn't it hurt your head?"

"Oh, yes," said the entertainer. "It hurts every time, but it's what I do to make my living. I've done it all my adult life. I made enough to raise my children to adulthood and to buy a small house at the edge of town. In recent years, I have been able to save quite a bit of money as well."

"And how much money will you need to have saved before you can stop beating your head against a post and have the confidence to go on to something less painful?" queried the wise man.

The entertainer didn't answer for a long time. He just sat there in the shade, obviously calculating furiously in his head. Then, without a word, the entertainer got up, collected his bowl, and walked away for the post in the town square forever.

<i>Moral: Every man needs to know when he has enough coins saved to stop beating his head against the post and try out something less painful.</i>

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Lucky stiff, no taxes. He would have had to beat for another decade or so.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.