1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A reason for the massacre

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by halfmile, Dec 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Just on Fox News site:

The gunman who slaughtered 20 children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school may have snapped because his mother was planning to commit him to a psychiatric facility, according to a lifelong resident of the area who was familiar with the killer’s family and several of the victims’ families.

Adam Lanza, 20, targeted Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown after killing his mother early Friday because he believed she loved the school “more than she loved him,” said Joshua Flashman, 25, who grew up not far from where the shooting took place. Flashman, a U.S. Marine, is the son of a pastor at an area church where many of the victims' families worship.

“From what I've been told, Adam was aware of her petitioning the court for conservatorship and (her) plans to have him committed," Flashman told FoxNews.com. "Adam was apparently very upset about this. He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry. I think this could have been it, what set him off.”

A senior law enforcement official involved in the investigation confirmed that Lanza's anger at his mother over plans for “his future mental health treatment” is being looked at as a possible motive for the deadly shooting.

"He thought she just wanted to send him away. From what I understand, he was really, really angry."
    - Joshua Flashman, Newtown resident familiar with Lanza family

Flashman was told Nancy Lanza had begun filing paperwork to get conservatorship over her troubled son, but that could not be confirmed because a court official told FoxNews.com such records are sealed. The move would have been necessary for her to gain the legal right to commit an adult to a hospital or psychiatric facility against his will. A competency hearing had not yet been held.

Adam Lanza attended the Sandy Hook School as a boy, according to Flashman, who said Nancy Lanza had volunteered there for several years. Two law enforcement sources said they believed Nancy Lanza had been volunteering with kindergartners at the school. Most of Lanza's victims were first graders sources believe Nancy Lanza may have worked with last year.

Flashman said Nancy Lanza was also good friends with the school’s principal and psychologist—both of whom were killed in the shooting rampage.

"Adam Lanza believed she cared more for the children than she did for him, and the reason he probably thought this [was the fact that] she was petitioning for conservatorship and wanted to have him committed," Flashman said. "I could understand how he might perceive that—that his mom loved him less than she loved the kids, loved the school. But she did love him. But he was a troubled kid and she probably just couldn’t take care of him by herself anymore."

The Washington Post reported that the distraught mother had considered moving with her son to Washington state, where she had found a school she thought could help him. Either way, according to Flashman, Nancy Lanza was at her wit's end.

A separate neighborhood source also told FoxNews.com that Nancy Lanza had come to the realization she could no longer handle her son alone. She was caring for him full-time, but told friends she needed help. She was planning to have him involuntarily hospitalized, according to the source, who did not know if she had taken formal steps.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/18/fear-being-committed-may-have-caused-connecticut-madman-to-snap/#ixzz2FRLtUcTt

HM

2. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Try as you will, you can not subscribe reason to such irrational acts.

The Devil's greatest accomplishment is that he's convinced so many people that he does not exist.

Kip

3. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

If this is true then why did she allow him access to the guns?

According to what I read the guns used were hers.

4. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

How do you know she "allowed" him access?

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

391 shooter,

I agree. If this story is indeed true, she(his mother) failed in her responsibility to keep her firearms from her mentally ill son. If he had killed her in some other way and THEN broke in and stole her firearms, that would be another story. However if he was able to gain access to the guns in order to kill her, they were not very secure.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

dont jump to conclusions guys. It will all come out in time

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

This gal has a pretty good handle on it. ^^^^^^^

"Gun-Free Zone" - That's like you and I putting signs in our front yards that say "THERE ARE NO GUNS HERE". Who is foolish enough to try that? I'll provide the signs.

Bob Falfa

8. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

She gets it.......

Jerbear

9. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I have always believed that something like this was the thing that sent Adam over the edge. The behavior of young males of about 18 and older can be a warning sign of the onset of schitzophrenia (sic) or some other "persoality disorder". With the current absence of a mental health system, what do you do if you see this? There may be nothing you can do since the afflicted party is a adult and cannot be committed involuntarily without a lot of legal hassle. This is the root cause of these occurrances, NOT video games or guns.

10. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Meaning no disrespect to the poster, but why he did it is irrelevant. There are plenty more Adam Lanza's out there. What is the government school system going to do to secure the kids? This is the only relevant question until the kids have been made as secure as reasonably possible. What is the government going to about security at THEIR schools?

11. mcneeley5

mcneeley5 Member

Where was the Dad? It sounds like he was able to "cash out" on his son, leaving just the Mom to sort out a difficult son.

12. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

How much training does it take to "shoot fast" When my boy was 8 I bought a model 60 Marlin .22. He emptied 10 rounds out it it in about 2 seconds. I spent the rest of the afternoon handing him one bullet at a time.

And how much marksmanship does it take to hit a little kid that is on the floor in a classroom. It isn't like he was hunting them on a 1500 acre forest. If they were in fact cuddled together in a corner like has been reported, 5 shots of #6 field load would have been enough

13. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

"A reason for the massacre"

When I first read this, I thought our government had finally explained why they burned to death all those children in Waco, and why no one has mentioned this as a horrible incident, but I guess that also was a Democrat President and cabinet.

I think since those poor children were home-schooled, this was another senseless school massacre, but it was OK because it was conducted by our Government forces!

I guess Janet Reno and Slick Willie can always claim a "concussion" like Hillary has to avoid prosecution ??? What, no charges filed, you say......how handy!

What do you think?

14. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

If this is in fact a true statement, that she was trying to have him committed, then she knew he was a threat and she, as a parent should have him arrested. Would have saved a lot of lives including his.
    And damn sure should have had her guns locked up where he could not access to them. I have many guns, but I will be Damned if I will allow any one with a mental problem to have access to them.
    RB

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Some will ask "how can God allow such atrocity?"

With God being taken out of our country, just what is it that you expect?

God is not the author of evil, but there is another that is.

16. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Leo,,,,,sadly you are correct,,,,,,the duck and hide, lock the door mentality does not work. You flee from danger; you don't sit and wait on it to find you.

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

I agree with the first poster. Adam probably felt second or third in line of his mothers choices and took it out on her and those she cherished . His mind was warped due to his mental state and he was left out in the cold believing he was going to be hospitalized leaving him his last alternative. No arguing with his mother would change her mind so he took it out on her and the children. Sad to say this incident will be the tipping of the balance board for us gun lovers which he too must have loved to shoot also but that never entered his altered mind, just to have revenge. The NRA will be pressured and may have to give in on some concessions on gun control and modifications of registering and purchasing but the whole problems stem with mental illness and that will unfortunately never go away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.