1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A really Twisted Sister from Kolar

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by eric, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

This is a custom stock I just received from Kolar after spending all day with Jeff Mainland. Quite a bit of cast-off just to get my empty head behind the gun. I will <a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00031.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>try to post a few more pics.

2. eric

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00038.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Another view.

3. eric

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00037.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

And another.

4. Paladin

Paladin Well-Known Member

Now that's my kind of stock,,complete with a 1 1/4" Gooey.

5. eric

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00027.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

I had a 6002 Twisted Sister before, shot it about four years, and did pretty well. I thought it was a pretty good fit until I met with Jeff Mainland at the Grand this year. We did a few measurements and he encouraged me to travel to Racine and spend the day which I did later. Seems my eye was not really behind the rib plus I had a big cant which I could not see on my end. The result is the rather twisted looking stock shown above. Additionally, I have a problem with my right thumb which added some more interest to the whole process.

I have only shot a few rounds with it and have yet to put it on paper but so far, things are going well - but I don't think Leo has anything to worry about.

I was ready to buy another Kolar but Jeff talked me into putting money into a new stock - how's that for a salesman!! I would highly recommend Kolar and a fitting session with Jeff!

Eric Olson

6. finger

finger TS Member

Looks something I could shoot. The first gun I ever had properly fitted was a P gun. I gave the guy permission to put a rasp to the wood and he did essentially what you have there by scooping out the side of the wood so my eye lined up with the barrel. I shot the hell out of that gun. Was not real pretty but worked. Must have been a very thick blank you started out with. Its tough to get THAT much from a single stick. Congratulations! bob finger

7. eric

I bought three different blanks (one from a previously well know poster right here - beautiful but just was not thick enough) and ended up buying another from Jeff at Kolar. This one was almost 3" thick and even though Jeff apologized for the small selection of wood due to being late in the season, he still had hundreds to choose from. There were some real head-turners, too.

Eric

8. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Folks,

Anyone needing a three-inch thick piece of myrtle or maple for a custom stock with radical cast or twist, feel free to contact me at the email above. Since I live in southern Oregon, I have put together a small quantity of high-grade, unique blanks, many of which are three, or slightly more, inches thick. I will provide pictures for potential buyers who can describe at least generally what they want.

I have just put into inventory three fantastic myrtlewood blanks with different amounts of tiger stripe coverage all of which are wider than three inches.

Good Shooting, Mike Mann ATA Life 07-34685

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Active Member

I have a question about the twisted sister stock if you don’t mind and I plead ignorance. Couple of years ago I had the privilege of shooting a gentleman’s Kolar with a twisted sister stock. His placed the rib right between my eyes, and his eyes too. He was working on the stock with a rasp to get the final fit. It certainly fit me, but it gave a binocular view with the rib sitting between my eyes. It took a couple of birds to get used to it then it seemed like I was locked in so hard to the bird I couldn’t miss. And I didn’t miss, still think about it often more than I probably should with a kid in college yet.

Does this stock and other twisted sister stocks line up with your dominate eye directly? It sort of sounds that way and I’m now wondering if his gun wasn’t unique. Thanks for any clarification as to what is considered a twisted sister stock.

10. medic23

medic23 Member

Eric,
    The wood is beautiful and the shaping is fantastic. I am deciding between a Kolar or Kreighoff for my skeet gun and I was wondering which engraving style you chose for your Kolar. Also, how far in advance did you have to book your fitting with the folks at Kolar? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks, Ben

11. eric

Cold Iron: The reason for such as offset was to get my dominant (right) eye directly behind the rib, not between. The one you shot sounds very interesting but I don't thinks thats the generally accepted way to look down the barrel. But if it works for you, explore it.

Medic23: My engraving was the Elite Grade which is the most basic engraving Kolar offers but it does have a bit more coverage than standard. As far as a fitting, just call Jeff Mainland at Kolar and he will work with your schedule and I was able to get in within 4 weeks - and that was at a busy time. Also if you go for a fitting, talk with Jeff about engraving, too. I will post a good pic of the engraving.

Eric

12. 12Gagejon

12Gagejon Member

No lefty going to want to shoot that bugger Jon

13. eric

<a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00028.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a><a href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y62/eric99037/?action=view&current=DSC00026-1.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

Here is the engraving - again, this is the basic Elite Grade with a little more coverage than the website shows. As for the wood, Jeff has some extremely nice stuff, much nicer than I went with. You might also search for samsnyder's kolar that was posted here a few months ago, its absolutely stunning.

Eric

14. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

would you happen to know what the dimensions came out to be on paper? Looks like about what I need, but in opposite hand.

15. eric

I attempted to do some measurements but don't know exactly how they should be done but: LOP is 14 1/2", the offset is about 5/8", the toe out is about 3/4", the comb drops 1 3/8" at front and 1 1/8" at back. The grip is much larger and more curved than my origional 6002 by about 1 1/4" longer with a big palm swell (that fits so well, I don't feel it). Also the forend is the overside one that gives about 1/4" wood on the bottom that protects your hand when the barrel gets hot.

Hope this helps!

Eric

16. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

That is one awesome stock. Thanks for sharing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar custom stock fitting with jeff mainland