1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A REAL Corker!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by mike moncilovich, Dec 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Now I know what the term real corker means: Senator Corker, Shelby and other neo-cons have sold their political souls to the Japs. Instead of demanding the asians to pay American wages and benifits, they want U.S. citizens to lower their standard of living while they are collecting huge sums from lobby firms working for the alien manufacturers. Yes there a few American vets of WW2 who bravely fought the Japs and Natzis and now surving on pensions from the auto industry that Freshman Corker wants taken away. Now the Viet Nam vets are entering retirement age. I wonder how many of these avaricetics spent their Christmases in a fox hole,jungle or rice paddy. Real patriots?.

No! I don't like bail-outs either, but history shows that during a economical melt down, only the government save us. Or JP Morgan to loan the gov. money to stay afloat...Mike

2. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

The problem is the Asian companies are paying good wages for the areas where they manufacture their autos in the United States. They have located their plants where the cost of living is not as high. From a radio talk show I listened to this morning, the average Detroit auto worker makes $30 per hour more than the average auto worker who builds cars for the Asian companies in the U.S. They also mentioned that U.S. auto workers have nearly 100% coverage on health benefits; the cost of health benefits alone for active and retired workers adds $1500 to the cost of each General Motors car. I have no reason to doubt the information provided on the program, as they are normally very reliable.

I think the U.S. is now building cars that are every bit the equal of the top Asian manufacturers. Unfortunately, we got started a little late in matching the reliability of Toytota and Honda; and, I wish it wasn't so, but the U.S. manufacturers can't compete with the hourly wage they have to pay.

If the auto makers don't create a better business model, then any bailout would just be a short term fix that will come back to haunt us again. Ford, G.M., and Chrysler are all trying to use the same manufacturing/mangement philosophy they had when they owned 70% of the market share. Those ideas don't work when they are struggling with 30% of market share.

I, for one, hope our U.S. manufacturers can make it. We have produced some of the greatest autos ever manufactured in the world.

Tom

3. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Why should a UAW worker get three times the average wage of Firefighters and Paramedics in this country? The wage and benefits package for the UAW is no longer affordable. Wake up and smell the coffee or the industry will surely die. JRM

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Wait until China floods the auto market with even cheaper cars {slave wages}. Then those southern workers will be over paid by market standards.

Other plants will be moved to third world countries that can employee barefoot natives to beat out the Chinese... Where does it stop?

5. letts

letts TS Member

I have a friend who is a retired firefighter. HE said when he retired that if he did not retire that he would be working for $.90 per hour. Is or will your pension compare with that? Oh, I forgot to mention that the four years he was in the US military prior to be coming a firemen counted towards his retirement. It seems that those who are employed by the good old goverment are in for the good stuff, No one else should be though.

Letts

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

What all the talk show people don't tell you is that a 2 tiered wage system is in effect in most uaw plants. The new hires, since about 1998 come in at about $14. an hour with lower benefits. They never receive cost of living ajustments nor do they ever get to the $22/$24 hourly rate. What is never said is the indirect labor costs, when I started work 40 yr.s ago indirect costs were in the 15% range, today they are in the %50 range. Technical,support and management people at the local UAW shop START at $50,000 plus better benefits than the senior UAW people. They get time and a half and double time for OT. These people add COST to the product, at least the hourly add value. The upper management can be obscene superintendents over $120,00.

Oh, did any senators or congressmen offer to cut their wages?

I have been in management over 40 years if this bail out is in the form of loan garuantees like the 70's for Chrysler, it is not a horrible idea, but don't lay blame on the UAW. Management policies have put the auto business in the toilet.

7. mike moncilovich

Imagined if we added all perks and benifits of politicians and divide it by actual hours worked, not campain fund raising, could be $7,000.00 per hour with all their legacy costs...Mike

8. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

John Thompson is correct. What hurts the Big Three, is that the last hired (at the lower wage), are the first "fired" when layoffs occur. All of the Big Three have offered buyouts to persuade older workers to retire, but it's only partly successful.

If legacy costs are discounted, the Big Three workers make very near to what Toyota pays. In fact, Ford comes in a little under Toyota.

Corker wanted "parity" by 2009, and he also wanted the UAW to trade legacy liability for stock in the companies. Allegedly Gettelfinger balked at the wage parity, saying it couldn't happen until 2011, when the new contracts were to be negotiated.

Best,
    Dennis

9. mike moncilovich

Oh, Corker said they where maiking 70 bucks per hr. Eliminate Co. pensions and workers put their money in the hands of people like Bernie Madoff. His and his cohorts brand of conservetism is like Tennesse Ernie Fords 16 Tons. Break the unions and the PEOPLE won't have a voice, the only voice with its corruption as we found is also rampant in both political parties in states like Al.,CAL,Ill.,La. and many others. Remember the best government MONEY can buy...Mike

10. djpk69

djpk69 TS Member

OK, youve now got WAGES under control.But, isn't the REAL problem the PAYOUTS to retire's?...the UAW made a pact MANY years ago to "protect" their workers (laveshly......till death)....It's coming to fruition NOW. Try going on S.Security like other people.The only people I see making these retirement "fringes" are GOVERNMENT......which is another B.S story in itself.

11. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

I am a retired,UAW member.

Our last contract the plant replaced the workers for over six months.

Now all new workers start out at $11.75 per hour,and pay for their insurance,plus no retirement benefits.

Guess what they can't keep help.

Most of the new hires are going to work for the company that has most of our out sourcing.More money and better Bennies.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.