1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A REAL car crash. PICs too.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by JACK, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I wrote this email to a friend in town that noticed I was driving a different car. and then sent it on to my shooting friend, fellow TS-r "Golani". Then I thought some of you might like to pass this along to some younger drivers that are prone to use cell phones while driving or texting. Here is the body of the email send to my town friend.

I stopped at the gunshop at about 11:30 and then on to the post office about the 13th of April. I picked up my mail and headed north to the stoplight at US-35. Turned left when the light turned and headed home. Funnels you into the left lane as you know. I neared Canton St and looked into my right mirror as I changed to the right lane. I looked back and saw that it was going to be the “big one”. She (Debra Oldenburg?) was doing about 30 and making no attempt to stop at the 35 stop sign. Prob texting. I was travelling about 45 as it is hard to go faster or slower on that stretch. I had less than a second to decide how to avoid her while realizing that I would not. She was coming South on Canton. First thing that went thru my mind was that you are warned by traffic people to not try and avoid them by going to their rear and I opted to try and avoid her by veering left. I then wondered if I was going to die. Next thing I wondered about was did I have my seat belt on. And acknowledging to my self that it was too late to worry about that. I Prob was able to get my foot on the brake and attempted to turn the wheel to the left. All in about a half a second. The maneuver I made (what ever it was) allowed me to strike her front port section just in front of the driver door. The sound you hear is a short loud CLUNK.

The impact is huge. The caddy stops her cold. It veers into east bound traffic just in front of the bank. I am alive and the car is on fire and I wonder “how can that be, too soon for smoke to fill the cabin”? I am now in the left lanes and trying to avoid the east bound cars. I have brakes still and some steering and get into the middle turn lane and stop. Smoke is gone as what I experienced was the airbag talc in the cabin.

I sit for about a minute to figure out how bad I was hurt. I had no real pain and again wondered if I was dead and experiencing some “white light” moment. That was just a passing thought, and I surveyed my legs and moved around some and realized that I was not all broken up. All in under a minute. I then tried to open my door and it was stuck. But then a second attempt with my shoulder got it to open. I swung my legs out, surveyed myself once more and decided to hold on as I slid out. I was wobbly to say the least. I stood there for about a minute and then took some baby steps and was able to walk slowly. I looked back to the impact scene and saw her crumpled car. And thought I should try and help the driver. I was about 120’ away. I got about half way and she climbed out. And I stopped as an Allina medical delivery truck was along side of me and I asked that he call the cops and the rescue. He did. The other driver is now walking toward me and gets to about 20 feet away and begins apologizing I tell her to go away and call her a few choice swear words… Very personal ones that you can imagine.

A couple of minutes go by and I am just standing there in the turn lane on 35 in front of the bank. The bank folk all know me of course and know my car. They are watching. The police come streaking down 35 to the scene. He stops to talk to her first and I am just standing there with no place to go. Wanted to sit down but knew getting up would be very hard. The cop comes over and asks me if I am alright. About then Bill Dravis (rescue chief) shows up and he sees me and comes to talk to me as the cop was now back with the Oldenburg lady. Bill talks to me and asks if I want to be transported and we inspect my right hand which is now grapefruit sized and bleeding profusely. I realize that I have a compound fracture and we wrap it gently to catch the blood. Other than that I was only shook up and wobbly.

And so it is over. I decline transport to Allina and ask to be taken home so I can get my other car in my drive. But about then I look up and see my son-in-law standing in the grass just 2 lanes of traffic away and watching the haps. He takes me to Hastings emergency and I go thru the regular stuff including x-rays and the swelling is going down with ice. I can still move my fingers without pain and wondered if just perhaps, the hand is not broken. Doc comes in and says it is just an impact bruise. The bleeding and hole in my hand (with no bone protruding) has subsided and the hole is becoming quite small. Turns out that the hole was just stretched skin probably from the broken plastic cover that sits atop the airbag in the middle of the steering wheel. They clean me up, bandage the hand and send me on my way. That took about an hour and a half. But by now, I am philosophical and realize I just bought another life. I guess I have been good lately.

The caddy gets towed to the place locally and then towed to Cernohous to be repaired. A couple of days go by and I get the news. The frame is twisted and shot and motor is catty-whumpus. The car is totaled as it exceeded 70% of its value to repair it. I get the word from my insurance company that they will pay for the retail value of the car and I think that I will go buy another Escalade of the EXT model. No good ones around town. I was going to take my bride to check out the caddy dealer on the West side of town, and stopped at Cernohous to talk to the guy handling my car for the insurance company. He tells me they have a couple of similar Avalanches and I take two for a ride and buy the one I have now.

So, that is what happened to my beloved Cadillac. It was a great car. Easily the favorite of my life.

So, buckle up kiddo. When the accident is about to happen it is fast and furious and unavoidable.

I was completely exonerated by both insurance companies. I do have a back issue that I will ask the doc about today. Pain began about 2 weeks ago. Not bad mind you, but aggravating none-the-less.

The Caddy. RIP.

mia_2008_030360.jpg

mia_2008_030364.jpg

mia_2008_030367.jpg

The Caddy (Ripped In Pieces by now)

Both cars were totaled. She took a bigger hit than me. She had blood running out of her mouth. Prob from the airbag curtain alongside her head.

Jack

2. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Glad you are Okay Jack. Jeff

3. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sorry you lost your beloved..she sure was pretty. What happened to hurt the motor....I've seen cars hit worse that the motor survived...I think I would have bought it back from the insurance co and took my time to shop prices and fix it over the course of a half year or so
    Glad you are ok Jack

4. JACK

Fixing it was beyond my ability. the car had a buyer but Wisconsin law dictated that it had to have a "Salvage" title.

I posted this to emphasize how many accidents are caused by inattentive driving. I read that cell phones and now texting cause nearly 30% of all accidents.

And too, I was a million and a half miler without an accident. But when it comes you cannot avoid it and it is violent. And now I am a "noid"

Short for paranoid.

5. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

WOW.

Glad you are okay.

It's absolutely amazing the number of people you see looking at their phones while they drive these days.

6. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Sue the bitch for negligence. If you run into me while you are on a cell phone,you will meet the nastiest a-hole lawyer that I can find. I don't want money, just your ass.

Glad you are OK.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Glad your Okay, RIP Cadillac ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. JACK

Well the engine took the impact and it is pretty obvious when the hood was lifted. I imagine the motor was still OK but it was driven back and twisted up. The car could have been fixed with a "frame-off" and a new frame, but the cost would have been in the 20s. The BB value on the car was about 27 thou. I got 29,5 back. Royce... ya got me thinkin. I'm being chased by two law firms now.

9. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Too many people today don't understand the difference between driving and making it go. Lotsa people behind the wheel today who only know how to make it go.

10. Chichay

Chichay TS Supporters TS Supporters

Glad you're OK. Saw a bumper sticker the other day: "Honk if you love Jesus. Text if you want to meet Him". Chichay

11. Royce10

Royce10 TS Member

Jack, did Onstar call you, or are you buying/paying for it?

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Praise Jesus. Twelve + years of secondary schooling couldn't get him to spell right if his life depended on it. One good ka-whopping, and now he reels off 6 paragraphs without a miss.

It's a miracle!

(Nancy-the-Obama-Lover reports he can now also belch the alphabet in two octaves and hit the toilet 3 times out of 5...only slightly higher than his handicap average).

Time to start playing the options, Jacques. The gods have smiled on you.

13. JACK

Buzz. A plan buzz. Bought a new gun. NOw I'm in fine fettle.

Royce. Interesting abotu the onstar. I did not have it activated but form what I can figger (giving buzz a heads up here)I think those uits arenever deactivated. Otherwise how would you be able to do it from a deactivated unit. Had that unit styed on for any period of time, I'm guessing that they would have been legally remiss not to report it to the authorities. I fooled withe the system some about 3 months ago and I was able to make contact. Even tho it was not set up for calls.

But never sure agbout this stuff. Buzz willknow.

14. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Jack, I am glad you are OK. I had a near miss yesterday on the way home from the Kalispell shoot. I was on a 2 lane highway just East of Sparwood BC and was behind a slow moving truck. I was going to pass the truck but had to hold off because the passing lane ended. On the next chance to pass, a guy behind me decides to pass me and the truck and just as he got by the truck, a cow moose runs across the highway from the right side. The guy jams on his brakes and swerves and the cow moose crosses in front of him but she was followed by a small calf. The calf stumbles on the pavement but is just missed and gets up and heads back into the bushes from where the moose came from. The cow sees all this and crosses the highway again to join her calf who looked to be un-injured. The truck was at a complete stop and so was I. If I had decided to pass the truck at the same time as the other guy I would probably have hit the cow or run over the calf. I guess God was with me on that one. Hitting a deer is a bad scene but hitting a moose is a lot worse because they are tall enough to go over the hood right into your wind shield.

15. Janet

Janet TS Member

Glad you are ok. I got an email the other day of accident where guy was texting
    and hit a semi - pictures followed and weren't pretty. Cut him in half!!!!

I had to look, but glad I did cause I am doubly careful now when driving -
    defensive driving today is where it is. You know you'd think common sense
    would prevail regarding these cell phones, texting etc., but alas it doesn't.

(P.S, did she get hurt badly? Or do you know)

Janet

16. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i have nearly 4 million miles driving a semi.i should/could write a book on things i have seen people do while driving.one that has always stuck out in my mind was a guy masturbating in los angeles traffic with his windows down..i have wished a million times that i would have had a BB pistol that day. i bet i could have got his mind off masturbating...dwain

17. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Glad you are ok.
    Texting while driving is going to be voted on in Florida this year. Hopefully it will pass and soon be against the law. Believe it or not, Triple AAA Ins company is a major player in getting the bill in commitee.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.