1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Rather Difficult Rules Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by phirel, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

John Hiter got me on this question. I did get a part of the question correct but not the entire question. ATA rules specifically state that a shooter may not win more than one ATA trophy in a single event. But, there is an exception to this rule. Can anyone come up with a way one shooter can win two ATA trophies in one 100 bird event?

Pat Ireland

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

Thats an easy question ...

3. Joe Si

Joe Si Member

Pat, A past Grand American Handicap Champion has the opportunity to win 2-trophies. This year Kay Ohye won two trophies in the Grand American when he came in 7th with a 98 and also was high for all the past GAH winners and won that trophy too.

He "double dipped" legally.

Is that the answer you were referring too?

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

Pat ... why were you not at the Corn Shoot or the Coin Shoot this weekend? It aint all that far from where you are ...

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Lumper- It is about 4.5 hours away from me. Kettlefoot is only 2 hours away from me. I shot at Kettlefoot.

The trophy for past Grand Champions is awarded by the ATA but it is not considered an ATA trophy with All American points.

No correct answers so far.

Pat Ireland

6. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

A category shooter that shoots off or outright wins for event champion. If there is no other same category shooter present that day, could the shooter also win the category trophy?

Ex: Junior shoots a 99 in handicap, wins outright, no other juniors shot in the event....junior trophy as well?

Otherwise the trophy would go "unawarded"

Bob

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Bob- Not a bad incorrect guess.

Pat Ireland

8. Don Rackley

Don Rackley Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

At the Grand, how about if a person won event champ and also was on a winning zone team or doubles zone champ?

9. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

J. CONCURRENT STATE AND ZONE SHOOTS
    When a State or Provincial shoot is held concurrently with a Zone
    telephonic shoot a shooter may win both an ATA state trophy and an
    ATA Zone trophy. Gary L.

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"ATA rules specifically state that a shooter may not win more than one ATA trophy in a single event. But, there is an exception to this rule."
    There's either no rule, or no exception, since they are mutually exclusive.

Next question, please.....

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Is this one of those up to interpretation rules?

12. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I would say Slugbug has it unless Pat has one of his way-out situations involved.

For Lumper it's not an interpretation situation and there is no problem w/ the rule wording being mutually exclusive as this refers to concurrent events, not one event. It's the same 100 targets but two concurrent events. I can't think of any other "ATA" trophies that would apply. Note that the issue of All-American points which has made its way into the discussion is different, as AA points may be awarded in situations where no "ATA" trophy was won.

So Pat, does Slugbug have it or have you come up with a really odd one for us?

13. phirel

phirel TS Member

The answer is clear and Gary L. got it correct. If a state organization elects to have their state shoot concurrent with the ATA Zone shoot, scores in the state shoot would also count as scores in the zone shoot. This is the only way a shooter can win two ATA trophies in the same event.

code5coupe-You have failed to recognize that the only rule lacking any exceptions is the rule that there are exceptions to every rule. Isn't that a nice circular argument?

Pat Ireland

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Circular argument is just like target management ... just another interpretation for what it could be. ;-)

15. Bluzman98

Bluzman98 Member

Subject: A Rather Difficult Rules Question
    Email:
    Date: Wed, Sep 05, 2007 - 09:49 AM CT
    Website Address:

If you are a transvestite and you won the mens and ladies trophies.

Now that was funny.

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

In all reality it aint funny at all cause if your a trany your neither a man or a woman so how could you actually win either one at all?

17. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

Lumper,

Lets' suppose they had some "major reconstructive" surgery, or just implants.

They could expose their topside for the ladies trophy, and their bottom for the mens'

Let me know before the exposure so I can be far away!

Danny

18. lumper

lumper TS Member

Could that "major reconstructive" surgery possibly be considered a form of sandbagging?

19. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

"You have failed to recognize that the only rule lacking any exceptions is the rule that there are exceptions to every rule."

I stand corrected by the gentleman from TSC.

20. bulgie

bulgie TS Member

John sure as hell made a bad ruling at our state shoot in 06. Had to do with a shooter shooting 5 targets from the wrong yard line. Bad ruling.
    Thomas

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.