1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A quick review of the FABARM XLR5!!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bob Schultz, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Fabarm XLR5 Adjustable rib/comb auto.

Weight as tested (empty) 8.2 pounds. No additional barrel weights were put on the test gun.Pull trigger, 3.7 lb.

We have had the XLR5 guns from Fabarm for a couple weeks now and today was the first time I had the opportunity to take it to the gun club and run some shells through it. All I can say is WOW!

First impressions are important. My thoughts, when assembling the gun, were that this gun is built like Fort Knox. No stamped flimsy parts in the action. Big, tough machined steel and alloy parts look like a target auto should. The action spring is in the front of the gun around the magazine tube so no issues with long spring tubes going through the stock! Cleaning is a snap as all the parts which get dirty are right there in front. We'll get to that later...

The gas system is unique as it uses a polymer/plastic brake/buffer to compensate for different loads. We went to the range today with 7/8 oz., 1oz., and 1 1/8oz. loads in light, heavy and handicap variety. regardless of the shell the gas system operated flawlessly and the shells were ejected about 4 - 5 feet to the right and 2 -3 feet in front. I did not think anyone would be bothered by the empties being ejected. We'll put a shell catcher on it when they come in from Brownells however.

The 14 1/2" Right hand stock was kind of universal. Everyone who shot it had no problem with the stock when it was set up for me. I had the POI set at 90/10 and the gun absolutely vaporized targets (we shoot biodegradable White Flyers...)! I had the #7 (trap light full) choke in the gun and from 16 to 27 if we did our part the gun really toasted the targets. The gun comes with Skeet, IC, MOD, LT FULL(or TRAP FULL) and EX Full. We'll do some extensive pattern work next week and publish the results. To continue reading this review click on the web link above..... Thanks! Bob

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Good review Bob. I guess what's left are the patterns, who will do the service work, and where to get parts like Cole's for Beretta. And.........how many rounds can it take in total before it's shot out - obviously will not know this for several yrs.

3. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Shot one at the Pa state shoot. Very impressive shotgun. Many nice items. Weight system, oversized bolt handle, release trigger was nice.

4. docbombay

docbombay Well known trouble maker

A member of our club purchased one of these guns during the Buckeye shoot at the Cardinal Center. I have had the opportunity to shoot the gun several times. It is indeed a clay crunching machine.

I will differ with the review above only on one item. I have shot several rounds with the member who owns the gun and have been on the post to his right and have been pummeled with ejected shells. Sometimes they went in front of me but on numerous occasions they have either actually hit me or hit my gun.

He finally put a rubber band around the receiver to catch the shells. A shell catcher is a must for this gun!

doc

5. slickhead

slickhead Active Member

Who makes the release?

6. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Is the release by Fabarms?

7. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Yes release was by Fabarms. Nice feel to release

8. Bob Schultz

Just got a standard grade in....call for info! 800-684-6329

Thanks, Bob

9. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

They make a great looking O/U competition as well!!

i_shoot

10. Bob Schultz

11. kentuckyduke

kentuckyduke TS Supporters TS Supporters

I shot the one that CG had at the Ohio State just because their has been so much hype about the gun. Good shooting gun, plenty of adjustment range, and very simple to adjust. I shoot a very high shooting gun normally, and had no trouble hitting with the xlr5, breaking 24/25 from the 27. Really liked the left side bolt release, that a good idea.

1.They say it has a shell deflector. If it does, it absolutly does not work. From the 27, it would throw the shell about one yard forward at head height; Perfect for knocking out someone standing on the 26 yard line. It might work better on the 16, but I expect you would be dinging some guns

2.The adjustable stock seemed unnesssarily complicated. The CG rep wasn't able to loosening it to raise the comb to my liking because someone had taken the special tool. I wish they would have just gone with a simpler system and given you a bag of washers.

12. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

Up for interest.

When will it be available with the release?

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Selling a gun without a release trigger available is in my mind like selling a car without a steering wheel.

14. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kinda like buying a gun you have to wait for huh?

ss

15. Dickgshot

Selling a gun without a release trigger available is in my mind like selling a car without a steering wheel.

16. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Kinda like buying a gun you have to wait for huh?

ss

17. Danny56

Danny56 TS Member

The only thing that makes me a little nervous about this gun is the Aluminum receiver. Wondering about longevity.

18. Dickgshot

Beretta autos have an aluminum receiver and they last forever-better than Remington receivers which are steel.

19. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Bob, thanks for the insights on this very interesting new gun. Your shooting impressions are a great measure of this gun. We dont often get such insights, and the typical gun mag articles are generally lacking. Can't wait to see one!

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.