1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question that might be upsetting....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nipper, Jul 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nipper

nipper TS Member

its bedtime piddy

bill

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Its an easy answer. Most of us are not 30yrs. old anymore.

Good shooting always....Gerald

3. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

Isn't it good to see there are still good sportsman out there. Hot coffee and good nite Piddy

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

The only one I shoot agenst is me,,,,if I happen to shoot better than anyone eles ,,,well thats good too

5. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

If you have to ask you'll never understand......

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Always compliment 'em; don't upset 'em, you want to dampen their competitive fires...

7. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Frankly I wish you would go back to where you just came from. What are you about 8 yrs old??

Don

8. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

What a douche.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Hoggy and Over the hill said it all. BIGDON - he is right on also

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

11. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

7-1/2's or 8's?

Curt

12. GRR

GRR TS Member

I don't think your shot is round. Go back and check what you wrote!!!!!

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

2grains short of a full load

14. chipking

chipking TS Member

Piddy The problem is your first supposition is incorrect. The only person you are competing against in Trapshooting is yourself. Unless you resort to dirty tricks there is nothing you can do to affect anyone elses score.

That is why I congratulate others when they do well and why I am truly happy for them.

--- Chip King ---

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

I think we should start a trend like the skeet shooters and celebrate after every station!

Ronbo

16. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

It's a fine line, but I think the answer is that we're not trying to "defeat" the other so much as shoot a better score. I know it may sound the same, but it's not. Unlike confrontational sports such as football where there's one winner and one loser, in trapshooting, you can win even if you don't win a trophy. By that, I mean that I can shoot a personal best and still never win a trophy. It doesn't matter. That's not to say that I don't enjoy winning trophies. I most certainly do. But just because I don't get a trophy doesn't diminish the accomplishment.

The best example I can give is what happened yesterday. I'm up in Michigan visiting my parents, and I went over to Mason to shoot a couple events at the MI state shoot. I shot an OK score of 91 in the first 100 of the singles. Not outstanding, but OK. Then, in the second 100, I shot my first 75 and 100 straight. That score, combined with a 91 in the first half of the singles, wasn't good enough to win a trophy in class or category, but it's a win for me, and that lack of a trophy doesn't diminish my experience in one bit. And there were several shooters watching and rooting for me, and then cheering when I did it. A 191 is not my best singles score, but I've got two very important accomplishments in that score.

Bottom line is that this is a great sport because you want your competitors to shoot their best while you shoot your best. Trophies are great, but in truth, when I step on the line, I'm competing against my past performance. And if I see improvement, I'm happy.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

It's a battle between you and the trap machine. Get over beating the other shooters, the machine is not your friend. Do you tell the trap machine nice throwing when it kicks your butt?

18. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Way to go, BrowningGal!!

If you step to the line trying to "beat" the other shooters, you'll seldom be successful. You have no control over what the other shooters do. The game is between you and the bird. Unless there's external interference, which is covered in the rules, whatever you miss or hit is on you, and no one else.

The same is true for any individual sport (golf, bowling, some track and field events, etc. In golf, it's you and the course, and in bowling, it's you against the lanes and pins.

Piddy, take another Thorazine slurpy, and get back to the ward.

Dennis

19. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Its not an upsetting question, its a stupid one.

Good sportsmanship and intense competition are not mutually exclusive.

20. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Piddy, Another simple cast which again caught a few. Do you ever tire of this catch and release of most of the same quarry? Jake

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.