1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

a question of ethics

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by theshooter, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theshooter

theshooter TS Member

Ok, here it is, last year my trap gun broke and needed repairs. So I had to use another gun that had a very incorrect fit, but was all I had, this was reflected in the worse scores and averages I have ever registered. The ATA saw fit to give me 2 reductions in my handicap yardage, due to my scores. I just received the second reduction. I have however gotten my old gun back and my hits and breaks in practice and at my club are back to nothing short of amazing. The dilemma do I take the second reduction or reject it. I have lost many times to sandbaggers, I know who they are. Would I be guilty of the same thing, even know my poor scores were not intentional. Would like to know your feelings on this.

2. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

If it were me (and it is not), I would reject at least one of the reductions, largely because I wouldn't get any personal satisfaction out of winning anything based on these clearly aberrational scores.

Ted K.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Ditto Ted!......Bob Dodd

4. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

You know how to answer that question, and you know what is right. Don't betray your integrity by trying to justify keeping both. You're better than that. Known ability! You know yours. Bulge.

5. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Should you take both reductions, that would qualify you to run for congress

go for it lol.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Now that you have your machine back and feel your capabilities are better than where this all began, ask ATA to allow you to compete from the 25? You paid to shoot those targets (at least 2500 or so?) according to our rules and did the best under the circumstances, did you not? That certainly isn't sandbagging at all and you didn't intentionally drop targets to get either of those reductions.

This is a personal decision only you can make and not allow guilt to be a part of that decision either way.

Hap

7. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

what if you don't take the reductions and your gun breaks again??

tony

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Do the "Right" thing......

Curt

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

You have the right to reject both of them. I have decided not to accept any of them. I will keep shooting that yardage till I win and get a punch.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

You've done nothing wrong or unethical and taking or rejecting one or both reductions should be a guiltless decision. That said, should you take the reductions it wont take long to get the yardage back.

Congratulations on your thought process though. A lot of people give little regard for fair play or ethics. I'd shoot with you anytime.

11. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

I have to agree with User 1 and Mike Michalski. If you made an honest effort to break every target and couldn't get it done with the equipment you were using, you are entitled to said reduction. I doubt you broke your gun on purpose.

If you shoot registered regularly, you will have your yardage back in a matter of 2 to 6 shoots. At the time, if you shot for money, purses or lewis, there is no doubt you were not as competitve and likely suffered in that arena as well. ATA makes the rules, you have the right to play by them without feeling guilty. Also, as mentioned above, what if your "good" gun breaks again?

Just remember, making an honest effort to do your best with what you have to work with at the time, all of the time, is not sandbagging.

John E.

12. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

If you truly feel that you can be competitive at the longer yardages then refuse the reductions. This way, when you do win a match you will be satisfied with yourself in knowing that you met the challenge as opposed to just playing a game with the rules. You are the only one you need to impress in this deal.

13. warren

warren Member

As I recall there is a claus in the rules about known ability, I would say this is related, maybe some one more familiar with the rules can fill us in????

warren

14. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

How about if you take one reduction and send the other one to me.........

I could use it! lol

Hauxfan!

15. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

The only one who really knows his ability is himself. Therefore it his and his alone to make the decision. Don't look at this place for the answer because all you get here is comfort or discomfort for the decision. Make it and keep it to yourself.

Don

16. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a question of ehics...either you have them or you don't. You know in your heart what you should do.

17. kruzin55

kruzin55 TS Member

In golf, the definition of an 'sandbagger' is anyone who misleads others about his ability level, claiming to be worse than he actually is. So if you know that your skill level with the repaired gun doesn't warrant the reductions, isn't that misleading?

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good on you for even considering this.

I have no opinion, but it would be funny to see the sandbaggers get their butts kicked for once.

19. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Your heart is in the right place but, you don't make the rules and it shouldn't take long to get back up there. GOOD LUCK

20. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Ask yourself..."What would my Congressman do?" For example, Rep. Charlie Rangel...naaah, forget I said this. Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.