1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

a question for the wood guys

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by AveragEd, Jul 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I bought a new gun yesterday with oil-finished wood. The wood's figure is very nice but I think it could look a lot better. If you wet it with oil, the change is dramatic but as soon as you wipe it off, some of the grain is hidden. I've read threads on here where some products for oil-finished stocks (aside from Tru-Oil) were mentioned but can't recall their names now. Could a get a memory jogger?

I'm guessing that I might have to have the current finish removed first but perhaps someone will have a better idea.

Ed

2. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I always liked Lin-speed better than Tru-oil. I would take the existing finish off with a stripper. It may not be oil. I would then use a good, clear filler, depending on the grain, more than 1 coat. When the grain is filled, start applying the oil. I sand with progressively finer wet paper after each coat of oil. End with a thinned oil for the last coat and sand with a 1500 wet paper. You then can polish with a wood wax. It should buff out beautifully.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Much ewasier to thoroughly clean off all oil and dirt and rub in a couple of caots of Tru-Oil or Lin-Speed. Either one will give you a nice glossy finish that you are looking for.

4. Jerry944t

Jerry944t Well-Known Member

Ed go to the Brownells's site and look up "Permalyn." It's easy to work and yields spectacular results.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.