1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for the experts on handicap shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bodybuilder, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I never shoot handicaps except sometimes for fun. My question is at what distance do things change, Leads and the way you shoot? I know a fairly new shooter that shoots good scores from the 16, He told me the other day he shot practice from the 24 yard line and shot a 23, He said does'nt seem so hard. My limited experience always told me back to the 25 you shoot pretty much the same as 16's is this true or not? Thanks

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

IMO FWIW (I'm 23 1/2),

I think this idea that at some specific yardage the whole game somehow "changes" is pure bull$hit. I think instead it just gets progressively more difficult as you move back, the targets get progressively harder to see as they appear ever smaller and it becomes progressively less forgiving of any sloppiness in your technique.

John C. Saubak

3. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

First of all, I'm no pro.

Nice thing about handicap, 27 yards anyway, is that I don't have to ever move the barrel much, and in some caese, none at all. To me that's easier.

I hate shooting singles because it is so darn much work, and easier to make a mistake.

Also, if you practice from long yardage, you WILL eventually get good at it, AND then shooting singles is like shooting garbage can lids. Most short yardage folks don't like shooting practice from long yardage because they don't do so well at it. Fortunately for me, all my friends were 27 yarders when I started and I HAD to shoot all those games and practices with them.

It worked because I was on the 27 very quickly then - like 13 months.

IMHO.

Whiz

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I agree with Whiz 110%! Well said. I have very likely shot my last competitive singles event and certainly my last doubles. Best Regards, Ed

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

But Whiz, shooting practice from the 16 yard line and smashing 25 or 50 can be fun. Serious practice from the 27 is a lot of work and not a lot of fun. I opt for fun. I frequently do not shoot handicap very well. Any suggestions on how I can shoot better from the 27 and not have to work hard?

Pat Ireland

6. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I can't speak for Whiz, but 16s seem kinda tedious and sort of boring, although I frequently do not run 25 and 50 straight; then, there is no close-by place to even practice doubles which I find a little too frantic and fast-paced; handicap always seems interesting and challenging (I am at the 23 but shoot further back in leagues) and not hard work. So, a good score in handicap seems more rewarding. But, hey, that is just a 70 year OldGoat talking. Enjoy the sport you like! Best Regards, Ed

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If as you move back to longer handicap yardage you shoot the target quickly the distance you break the target at will be closer to the distance you break a 16 yard target at. HMB

8. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

I shoot the same(as @ 16yrd)back to the 23. Passed that I decrease my move to the target, timing stays the same. After the 25 you can't make a bad move without it costing some targets. I also like to go with 1oz #8s @ 16, Fed paper Extra lites #7.5 for 27.

Aaron Holguin

9. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Old Cowboy and Whiz have good responses.It takes serious practice to get good at handicap.

Jim 25yds.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I also agree with Whiz and Old Cowboy basically but remember well that at 21 yards or so, I learned to shoot'um just like the 16 yard line with very good success. It was when those extra feet of concrete in front of me got in my head that I couldn't do well at beginner's yardage......breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.