1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for Mr. Winston

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Neil Winston, Oct 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

No, I don't know. My guess is that the higher the score, within reason, the less time has been spent getting on the bird. If you were to think that the bird is something like 42 yards from the shooter I doubt you would be too far off, though.

Neil

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

About 15 yards is correct. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

I feel confident that Neil intended to say that the shooter breaks the target around 42 yards from the 27 yard line. HM is very close when he stated the target traveled about 15 yards.

But, there is much variation in shooting styles. Some shoot fast and some shoot slower. The question mentioned the "average 27 yard shooter" and I don't believe there is an average 27 yard shooter. All are very different.

Pat Ireland

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Isn't that what I said, Pat? And yes they do vary a lot, but not many of them in a shootoff shoot other than right away.

Neil

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes Neil, you clearly said that. I just did not read what you said as clearly as you said it. Reminders me of a conversation at the breakfast table by Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Pat Ireland

6. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

A201, if your getting ready to shoot 27 yd targets and don't normally, you may even want to consider 45 yd patterning. There will likely be a huge difference in what they look like in that extra 5 yds.

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you have ever watched a 27 yard match from the side you'd realize that the targets travel further than 15 yards before being broken.

To do it in 15 yards, the shooter would have to see, react to, fire accurately and break the target in ¾ of a second at most.

MK

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- Out of the house, the target is traveling about 21 yards / second and your estimate of 3/4 of a second is about right. But, you failed to appreciate that shooting within 3/4 of a second is not fast shooting at all. To me, it seems rather slow.

Also, when you look at targets from the side it is difficult to estimate the base of the triangle. Your reference points are typically well beyond the target flight. Also from the side, it will appear that the angle targets are broken much faster than the straight away targets. This is simply a visual error.

pheasantmaster- I absolutely will never again pattern anything at 45 yards. At that pattern distance, I can look at a pattern and conclude that I could never break a good score.

Pat Ireland

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Thank goodness for shot string.

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

A201

Continue patterns at 30 yards. A great pattern at 30 yards will be a better pattern at any distance. Nora Martin Ross, tells us in clinics that the only real usable part of the pattern at long yardage is the center core. The rest is too unpredictable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.