1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question for etiquette gurus

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fla_native, Oct 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

I have a bit of a problem that Im hoping someone can shed some light on...

I belong to a local trap and skeet club, not huge but nice, 5 skeet fields- 7 trap fields. Took my son to shoot a couple of rounds today.
    One trap field was open, thats all that is ever open unless there is a registered shoot.
    When we arrived, apparently several folks that are apparently in a league was set up and started shooting. We dont belong to any league and dont shoot registered birds. When speaking to the guy in charge it quickly became apparent that opening another field for just 2 guys wasnt going to happen so we packed up and left...will try Thursday night.
    What would be the proper "trap" etiquette is this situation? the guy in charge is unconcerned, the league geezers arent exactly cooperative. If you dont shoot registered or a league youre just SOL?
    BTW, this hasnt been the first geezer problem. At this point my son has pretty much lost interest in trap which sucks because hes really good at it.

EdH

2. 548

548 Guest

You are the consumer. Spend your trapshooting dollar where you have the best experience. I would have left also. This sport is just getting too expensive to spend any of your shooting budget at a location that doesn't give you the experience you are looking for.

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

I'd be having a chat up with the club president and the board. If they won't give satisfaction have your dues refunded and go elsewhere as 548 suggests. Small clubs seem to have small minds thinking there's an endless supply of new members just waiting in the wings.

Surfer

4. need to shoot more

need to shoot more Active Member

Maybe You and your Son could have waited watched the squad go through then its your turn? Use it as a learning time, watch the shooters, foot position, gun movement, safety concerns etc. You cheated yourself and your Son.

Jim Z

5. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

That very well may be the case, unfortunately , we were informed that they would be shooting 10 rounds and wanted no interruptions. Add to that the fact that my work schedule requires me to work part of Sunday resulting in limited free time. Besides, I pay the same membership dues that everyone else does.

EdH

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Sporting Clays has benefitted greatly from Club Geezers driving young shooters away as you describe.

Speaking of this, is it time once again for me to re-post my "How To Tell If You're A Club Geezer Quiz"? If so, everyone needs to refrain from hostility and vulgarity. That's what always gets the thread taken down. You need to be able to take a joke (especially if you're one of those nasty Florida Club Geezers who hates everyone under 70 that outshoots you).

-Gary

7. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

LOL! " Florida Club Geezers" .... thats funny!

EdH

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

You are a member and they wouldn't open an unused field for you? Am I understanding this correctly?

9. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Yep.... with just 2 shooters it wasnt "cost effective".

EdH

10. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Welcome to Florida! $9 per round, and grouchy a-holes to boot, LOL.

Thankfully, there are exceptions.

-Gary

11. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Yup. A change in management and attitude is definitely in order.

12. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I've run into this at nearly every club I've ever gone to. It was only a problem when I was trying to teach my sons, and grandsons. Here's what I learned.

Most clubs don't have enough involved members. A few guys get burdened with opening and closing, loading traps, hauling targets, etc. I decided that I could help while I was there and asked what I could do to help things along. It was never long before I had worked my way into learning about the operations and gaining the confidence of the guys in charge. My sons and grandsons learned something about it too, and how to deal with people in charge.

I never got turned down when I would bring newbies or kids out to the club and needed an open trap. My sons and grandsons are frequent shooters and only one club is no longer in business....shut down over lead issues.

IMHE,
    Kip

13. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

Kip, thanks for the idea, Im going to give that a shot!
    Maybe I can get my son interested again. right now hes back to his rifles but he hasnt thrown the trap gun out yet!

EdH

14. YOTESLAYER

YOTESLAYER Member

I would have told them to bad we are going to shoot. They have no right to tell you that you cant shoot. If this happened at our club those guys would get laughed right off the trap field, ten rounds in a row? I would have made that guy look like an idiot in front of his buddies. JMO

15. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Why didn't you get there early and shoot before the league shooters? Does the club have a league and open shooting schedule? Was there more than one manager there?

Many clubs including ours, only shoot league on specific nights. Just talk to the manager and see what time frames work out.

16. Fla_native

Fla_native TS Member

No mention of specific league dates, just registered shoots. I even checked the bathroom walls!

EdH

17. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

I just spent 5 hours at my club, setting up our 5 Stand, pulling targets, helping two new shooters, by helping them shoot targets other than the regular menu, and then putting everything away. I got to shoot one round myself, but I did shoot a 22. :) We are currently throwing more targets than trap. A pleasant helpful attitude goes a long ways toward shooter retention. Sorry you had a bad experience. Mark

18. rwtii

rwtii Member

10 rounds and they don't want interruptions? Politely but firmly ask that another trap be opened or you can shoot after they finish the round they are on. Some of these clowns think that their membership dollars are worth more than yours. A lot of these clubs have some long time members that are running things and do not want anything new. The only problem is that they don't want to shoulder the entire club financial burden themselves. Our closest club is mostly a trap only club and I see members come and putter when the club is not open. What they are really doing is drinking free beer. They also want it to be the cheapest bar in town. You can confront them. Politely but firmly.

19. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

"Cost effective" my patoot. I'm sorry but things like this really upset me. It's the selfish old farts, like those you describe, that prevent our sport from getting young shooters! I'll open a new trap for any new or young shooter, set it for straight aways, give them their first round free and if they are recoil sensitive, give them a box of my soft shooting reloads. I have never regretted doing this. If you are ever up my way (Lancaster County, PA) please stop by and bring your son, his brothers and sisters, if any, and his friends too.

20. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Well God Bless you Big Dave, but you'll never be allowed to retire to Florida with a sh!tty attitude like that!

-Gary :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.