1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Question For BDODD

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by psfive, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psfive

psfive Member

Bob, you said when and if I get a universal charge and shot bar to let you know. You would help me make it work correctly. Well I have one the MOdel D for my loader ( Mec 650 ). Anything you can tell me to make my learning experience less of a learing experience would a great thing. Thank You
    Paul Leeper

2. calilori

calilori TS Member

I'm going to jump in here to say thanks Bob. I got the package in the mail this weekend. Tell your wife I said thank you very much!!!

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

OK, here goes. Because there is some "lash" in the adjustment mechanism, you can turn the knobs a little this way and that and never actually make anything change. Then all of a sudden it will make a bigger move than you want. The key is you want to get well below your desired setting and adjust slowly upward to where you're close and then fine tune while loading shells. You must have a really good, reliable scale. If it's a balance beam scale you must re-zero the scale any time you move it from one place to the next; maybe just a few inches on the workbench. With a digital scale you'll likely never have to re-zero once you've set it up per instructions.

Install the bar and make sure everything is working properly with no shot or powder bottles on the machine. When you're satisfied that's true, install the shot bottle and some shot. It need not to be a lot of shot. Operate the loader in as normal a fashion as possible so that you drop some shot in an empty hull and weigh it. If it's too much shot weight, turn the adjustment knob on the shot side well below the original setting. Drop another shot charge and weigh it. If it's still too high, adjust further down. When you finally get below or if you start right out below the weight you are shooting for (sorry), then start adjusting up a mark or two at a time or if WAY low, maybe more marks. When you are near and approaching the weight you want, adjust up a mark or even 1/2 mark at a time. The theory is make the final adjustment in only one direction - up is my preference. When you get the shot drop within 10 grains but still on the low side, stop the shot adjusting and remove the shot and bottle.

Put the powder bottle on, maybe 1/4 full of powder. Using the same process, drop powder from well below what you want it to be and work your way in one direction, up, until you get within a grain of the drop you want to use. When you are at this point, put the machine, bottles, powder and shot together and begin loading shells. When you first drop powder, weigh that drop and I'll wager it will be heavy or dead on just because of all the fiddling around and settling powder in the bottle while installing and filling the bottles. Do Not Adjust yet. It's good to weigh the first few shells just to see if there's a serious need to adjust well below your starting point again. Those first 5 shells or so will likely be stuff you'll just want to blow away.

So after loading 5 or so shells, settling everything in and working well, start weighing each powder drop and each shot drop and consider any adjustment. I'm hoping you'll still be below your target settings and will adjust upward a mark at a time until you're within 2 or 3 tenths of a grain on the powder side and a few grains +/- on the shot. If you're consistently short of either make very small adjustments at this point until you are "close enough" and can secure the adjusting knobs and begin loading with seriosity.

Once you're at this point, I'd suggest you weigh powder every 10 or so to see if your drop remains "close enough"; maybe a tenth over one time and a tenth under the next but the average of the tests is where you want it. If you DO find you're too high, make the correction by turning the powder knob down several marks - maybe 8 or 10, and then return to a mark below where you were. Understand that you and the gun and the target won't ever know the difference between 2 tenths of powder so be willing to be "close" and don't expect perfect. It will be closer to any printed recipe than than any bushing will deliver. With the shot, I'm happy within 5 grains +/- from the target setting and you can drive yourself crazy trying to improve that but it will, too, be much closer to 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz results than the standard bar. And, the reason for the shot difference is basically due to the consistency (or lack thereof) of the shot you're using, not the bar or loader.

After you've settled in and feel the settings are where you want, I'd still check some powder weights like maybe one a box or one a hundred just to re-check how things are going. And, at the beginning of any loading session, weigh the powder on the first two drops, they will be high from powder settling. When there, I remove a few flakes, re-weigh and get busy loading. Whenever opening a new container of powder you should take a few weights of the drops and ensure the new keg weighs like the last. Just remember, any adjusting should be finalized in just one direction, not back and forth, up and down.

Good luck and breakemall....Bob Dodd

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

BTW, how you operate your loader will affect powder drops. If you slam it down and back sometimes then become suave and gentle for others, you'll see considerable inconsistency in the powder weights. I've noted even weighing a lot of shells, weighing often, the consistency will waver. Be consistent as possible in how you operate the loader. Once you're loading a lot of shells and are happy with the settings, weighing every 50 or 100 is a good way to ensure your settings are still what you want is all that's necessary. If after cranking out a couple of hundred and you think you're a little shy or a bit heavy do this: If you're consistently low move up a 1/2 or full mark and "git-r-done" but if you're a consistently high, averaging more than your target, turn the powder adjustment down maybe 8 or 10 marks and come back up to one mark under your original setting and try again....Bob Dodd

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Learning to set the adjustable bar takes a little time. Mine is one of the older ones and I don't use it any more. Now, I use three complete heads for my different loadings with the inserts from MEC. A 7/8, 1 oz. and an 1-1/8 oz bar, each set accordingly for my favorite weight load.

Adjusting the powder or shot is best accomplished with very small adjustments as the opening is expanding. Once you have too much powder or shot, it's hard on the backlash of the screw to force it against the powder or lead. Take your time in learning to set it properly as Bob says and you'll have a good set-up. Hap

Bob, a 98-97-98? Easy to shoot in front too!

6. psfive

psfive Member

Where else can a perfect stranger get help like this from a perfect strangers. Our only connection is trapshooting and trapshooters.com. What a great bunch of people willing to share knowledge and experience so freely. I'll let you know how it goes, sometime in the future. Many thanks, Paul Leeper

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

You can also take heart in the fact that, with Bob's help, you've mastered a "device" that has bumfuddled a number of reloaders. When I had MECs, I had Universals in all three of them. Loved 'em.

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I also have a universal on my 650 Mac. What Bob told you is gospel. In particular the part about adjusting up in weight. I always check weights every 50 rounds and every so often check the set screws.

Bill

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Hey, I may be a stranger, maybe even strange, but PERFECT? Heck no. Just ask anyone in my family....Bob Dodd

10. DeVille

DeVille Member

Bob
    The RV spots are filling fast. Get down here as soon as possible.

DEX

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Dex, I'm not able to make the shoot and knew that for some time. It was ol' "troublemaker" Lynch ;-) that thought I would be going and pre-squadded me. I don't know if he can get it erased in time to matter at this point. He may choose to move to post 4 himself. If you know someone that wants to shoot that post with Sir Kay, tell them to get on the horn with Sue and git-r-done. Thanks for the thought....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.