1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about drying walnut stock blanks

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by GoldEx, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Question I have: is there a preferred method for drying the wood to stock making levels that will minimize the amount of warpage or checking? I recently obtained a 2 1/2 cord trailer load of black walnut slab wood for firewood. Couldn't argue with the price as it was free. Anyway, as I was pulling the wood out of the trailer to cut to length, I noticed several of the pieces were 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 inches thick. Closer examination showed some of the pieces has pretty nice figuring in them. I pulled out a dozen or so pieces that I thought might make good project stocks for a novice stock maker (hack)like myself to tinker with. I currently have them in the garage on stickers so air can circulate around them and keep them off the floor.

Jeff

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Jeff, Seal the ends with wax. It is ok if the wax laps up the face of the wood. But if you don't seal the ends then they will dry much faster than the rest of the wood and it will crack. Jake

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

and put them in the rafters of the garage or second floor if you have flooring up there

or attic of your house might even be better

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. cimmaronkid

cimmaronkid TS Member

And remember to forget about them for 4-5 years. Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.