1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A question about blueing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by ysr_racer, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I sent a Rem 1100 barrel to Glenrock Blue, and I'm expecting good things. I guess they dip the barrel in a tank to blue it.

Do they have to remove the old blue first?

Does the inside of the barrel get blued too?

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Yes, you usually bead blast or polish the metal. You can use rubber plugs to plug the chamber and bore to prevent the bluing from getting into the barrel.

3. lefthdr

lefthdr Member

Art will show you how it's done.

http://www.artsgunshop.com/Video/RustBlue/videoPlayer.htm

4. running bear

running bear Member

Why don't you type the web site in the web site address so everyone doesn't have to retype it?

Buck

5. slugbug1

slugbug1 Member

GaryL.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

Rich, thanks. Makes sense.

>> Yes, you usually bead blast or polish the metal. You can use rubber plugs to plug the chamber and bore to prevent the bluing from getting into the barrel.

The reason I'm asking here instead of calling them, is I want them working, not talking on the phone :)

7. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Bluing inside the barrel is a non-issue. That is how your barrel left Remington.

8. larryjk

larryjk Member

Rich,, I do blueing and know the folks at Glenrock. They are first class in their work and as human beings. But don't comment on how it is done if you don't know. The old blueing is removed but the barrels are not plugged. Think about it. The barrel is going into a chemical bath for 15 to 20 minutes that is about 285 degrees. If you put a plug in the barrel the heating of the air trapped in the barrel will cause it to expand dramatically and blow the plug out of at least one end. That will cause caustic blueing salts to fly all over the place. It takes you skin off very fast. I know a fellow in Utah that is blind from a similar type accident. NO - THE BARREL IS NOT PLUGGED. For God's sake; don't comment if you don't know what is going on.

9. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Larry, what are those plugs that Art is using in the videos?

10. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I see the degreaser is not that hot. It is next to hot water tank. He said the plugs are wood. The hot water take is not boiling and is not near as hot as the chemical blue tank gets. And Larry is right. The chemical tank gets up to about 285 degrees. Hotter if you don't control the heat by volume of water in the tank. In a very short order of time the temp. can reach over 300 degrees and spoil the bluing salts. Then you need to make a new batch for the Chemical blue is done with great csution. But with the chemical blue the better you polish the barrel the more rewarding the blue finish is and the deep color it becomes. Either way both are a lot of work. I have done this for almost 50 yrs. Herters had the best chemical salts on the market. Wild Bill

11. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Do not worry with Glenrock. They are a first class outift as I have had them do many guns including barrels and the work is always perfect. You picked one of the best and in my eyes the best for your bluing job.

12. larryjk

larryjk Member

Mark425, The wood plugs in the video are used as handles in the barrels. I doubt if they are air tight plugs. If they were, they would eventually be blown out of the barrel. What is going on in the video is "Belgium blueing" or hot water rust blueing, not hot caustic blueing. Hot water blueing has to be used on ribbed, multibarrel shotguns that are soft soldered together. If you used caustic blueing, the barrels might be separated in the tank, or come apart later. The salts used attack the solder. I would not want to have a wood plug blow out even though the water is only 212+-, it still has some blueing solution in it as a result of the reheating. I only know of one shotgun that has the barrels silver-soldered, and I am not sure if all the versions of that model were soldered that way. I blue them all by the hot water method.
    I saw a Winchester Model 21 that some idiot had caustic blued that had the salts coming out along the rib. I told the owner he should go back to the guy and ask for about $800-$1000 to have the messed up job repaaired.

13. Psycho

Psycho TS Member

What do you do with a ported barrel?

14. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

no extra charge for blueing the insides of the little holes.

15. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

What would be the proper way to re blue my Berette 682 x top single trap gun?

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Got it Larry. Thanks for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.