1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

~~A practice round~~

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by biff, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biff

biff Active Member

What's your feelings about shooting on the practice traps at shoots? Do you feel it helps you or maybe hurts when you go to shoot on the competition trap? Do you always shoot a round before you compete?

My feelings are different now than when I first started shooting trap. I used to think that by shooting bad, or illegal, or any kind of target would make you shoot better because you learned to hit any target that came out of the house. I now feel if the practice trap doesn't throw targets identical to what you are going to be shooting, it will be worse for you than not shooting at all!

Consistency is the name of the game in shooting trap, therefore when you practice with targets out of the realm of good legal targets, it will hurt rather than help. If you need to warm up, do some kind of exercise, no need to shoot anyway as you already know where your gun is shooting!

One of the things I like about shooting at Sparta is the consistency of similar targets from trap to trap; unlike some clubs which use different makes or traps which are hard to adjust to throw similar targets field to field. Biff

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I like to shoot a practice round before registering targets. Kind of a confidence builder or at least smooths out some jitters. If possible, do this with the guys you are squadded with.

3. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

I would shoot a practice round of 16's and handycaps if time allowed. Most of those times I was or would have shot with at least two to three others that I had been squadded with. Sometimes we would start shooting right away. That can be good at times. It usually don't give you very much of a chance to get the jitters or nervies. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

4. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

I like to warm up if I can. If it's just me, I'll shoot 10 - 2 at each station.

Jim

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

If i shoot singles first I like to shoot a 27 yard practice round before the event to get my timming right.

6. biff

biff Active Member

When you shoot on a practice trap are you sometimes aware it possibly is throwing softer targets or targets which are different than what you are going to shoot for the competition! What I was alluding to was that by shooting on a practice trap which is not set right, might affect your score and not for the better! Biff

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I don't think it makes any differance. I just need to get use to the angles at the 27 and timeing for the distance. Every trap is different anyway. I really don't let is concern me.

8. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

biff

I shot a practice round Sunday prior to my caps event. This was at the South Carolina Hall Of Fame shoot in Spartanburg.

I couldn't hit an angle bird and the fellow tending the field wanted to cheer me up by saying - you were hitting the straightaways really hard.

Needless to say I went out and broke 24-24-22-24 and then a 24 in a shootoff.

I didn't let what happened on the practice trap change what I wound up doing in competition.

I use the practice to take the edge off so to speak and to get a feel of the gun.

38-01615

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I'll "maybe" get talked into a 1/2 round with a buddy. Otherwise, it tends to hurt confidence more than help - for me....Bob Dodd

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

the late and great j.o.bates once told me to practice while shooting. he said that if i'm hitting the front of the targets that i was leading too much and if i were hitting the rear of the rear that i was not leading enough.(he never mentioned missing).

11. biff

biff Active Member

Lets put this in blunt, straight talk here, OK. At a shoot, knowing the practice trap is throwing targets unlike what you will be shooting---WOULD you shoot a round of practice at that shoot?

Can you look at targets on any trap, practice or not and know if they are legal good targets. I can't! I have shot on different traps at different locations and had a squad of great shooters following me ask to have the trap I just shot on reset so the targets were better(legal?). At that point in my shooting experience I didn't know any better and missed targets thinking it was just from my poor skills.

Now after that digression; I have shot on practice traps and just had a feeling that something wasn't right on with the targets! If I ran them all I went out superconfident and chances were that I would miss a target early in the competition. Or they were so bad and hard that I missed several, so when I went out to shoot my confidence was dragging out my tracks and I just knew I would miss(and I would!). So for me no matter how much I want to shoot a few targets to "warm up", I just won't. Now, that said, some clubs have good practice traps which are no different than any of the other traps and a warmup on those shouldn't hurt. Biff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.