1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Penny For Two Thoughts

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OneShooter, Jul 21, 2013.

1. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

First question, recently I'm having trouble relaxing at ATA shoots. (I can shoot 91 on the first set of 100 and 99 n the second; 89 in singles and 98 in caps, etc). I've tried to tell myself to relax, but it doesn't seem to work as well. Anything else I can say to myself mentally to help? Would telling myself that I can't win it hurt me (considering I shoot better when I know I can't win it).

Second question, does anyone have any personal experiences from dry fire solutions. I know they have testimonies but I like to get a lot of opinions. As is there anyone near NE Iowa who has one that they would let someone try out? Also would dry fire solutions be at the Iowa State Shoot demoing their product?

Thanks, Ron

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Shoot a hundred practice at the registered shoot before you shoot the program.

3. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Would it hurt myself if I told myself I was going to fail before I shot, though?

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Get Phil Kiner's DVD. He handles mental aspect of the game well and ties them into the visual game and breathing, which can be quite helpful. Leo's DVD with the words "mental game" right in the title is useful too.

-Gary

5. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

I sent you a private message.

6. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

GW22, I already have the Leo DVD. It helps, but not completely

7. SBray

SBray Active Member

Try reading this book:

"With Winning In Mind" by Lanny Bassham. He covers every aspect of competitive shooting.

Steve

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Never say to yourself that you can't win. I played a lot of baseball as a young man and my coach told us once you walk on the field of play act like you own the place.

Vic Reinders once told me that every shoot that he entered he honestly expected to win. Vic was so confident in his ability that he would often go to shoots by train and have just enough money to get to the shoot as he needed to win to get a train ticket to go back home.

Nothing personal, but by your question alone makes me wonder if you have the right mind set for competition?

You are obviously a good shooter, toughen up your mental game and I am sure you will be in the winners circle.

Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin P.S. Vic often said that the difference between an A shooter and a AA shooter was from the neck up.

9. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

SBray, I'll give it a shot.

senior smoke, thanks for sayin I'm a good shooter but I'm only B class at the moment. Also, I've been trying to find what is a good mental game so it'll help my scores (only 2 1/2 years shooting).

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Oneshooter:
    For only shooting 2 1/2 years I think you are on your way to some very good scores. You shoot better than myself and I shot for 43 years.
    Steve

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

"I'm having trouble relaxing at ATA shoots."

Try attend the biggest ATA shoot you can. Attend several in a row if possible. The nerves will been non-existent when you get back to your home shoots.

Tell yourself you're only shooting against yourself (your previous scores). Ignore the competition.

Bob Falfa

12. JT 27

JT 27 Member

I went to a sports psychologist and had a relaxation tape made. This along with some relaxation exercises really reduced my nervousness on long runs and in shoot offs. Also helped my avg. and hdcp.

13. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

Stokin, I do try to attend weekly ATA shoots. Doing my first ever state shoot this week (IA State Shoot, hoping to win Jr HOA)

14. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Over the last weekend I put into practice a thing I saw one of the best shooters in the USA do a bit ago. Before the program for the day started he would just wall off the world and take a long, fairly rapid, walk. He then came back and performed the task of breaking targets like a machine. It worked pretty well for me even though I couldn't break out at the top I moved from 'C' to 'A' in doubles and shot the best back to back Singles of my short career. The walk makes that adrenaline your body produces break down. It takes the nervous jittery legs and tires them a bit and the breakdown products from the exertion include the 'feel good' chemicals called endorphins. Then while shooting keep taking deep breaths in through the mouth and out through the nose, slowly and deeply, in between targets and while moving post to post.

That good shooter I watched was Ray Stafford, a personal hero and all around good guy.

Don T. Littleton CO

15. OneShooter

OneShooter Member

How long of a walk are we talking and how long before?

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Another vote for "with winning in mind" by lanny bashum

17. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

Half mile, 15 minutes to recover and rehydrate prior to your start time.

Don T.