1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Pennsylvanian shoots Airport GC in Lancaster, OH

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Dec 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Having visited Chris' booth/tent at the Cardinal Classic, we decided to accept her invitation to visit their trap range at Lancaster, while here in Greenfield. Barb & I were surprised to find 2 banks + a practice trap, along with Skeet and 5 stand clays offered. The ATA target offering was for 50pr doubles, 100 singles & 100 caps in that order. Since it was in the teens when we arrived Chris warned that the turnout could be small and there may not be enough shooters to fill squad requirements for caps. Since I'm a 25yd hcp we ended up with just enough to get in the targets after lunch, and no problem with Singles or doubles, before. Speaking of lunch, it was a world class vat of chili with snacks & fixings, all for a free-will donation.

I know y'all want to hear about the targets....they were PERFECT! The traphouses are built alike, facing North, and the birds were thrown at the proper speed and angles....you couldn't ask for better doubles. By 10:30, when we shot the first round, it was up to 25 or so and by the time the caps were thrown, nearly 40, with clear sky's and no breeze whatsoever; excellant weather in my view.

The name of the place is Airport, and it's so named for a reason....there is one. There's activity in the background, and I'm sure I shot the vertical stabilizer off that Moonie; but I never got to shoot at any of the advertised sky divers, evidently being too cold for 'em. Some complain about background activity but I'm so used to it at our local clubs back home that I've learned to concentrate on the targets, and the airport activity didn't bother me one bit. Although I got scolded for dropping 4 singles by Mrs Score-keeper.

Our hosts were congenial and friendly, and the shooters were the same great folks we encountered at the the Ohio State and Cardinal Classic. Will I return to shoot at Airport? Definitely, a resounding yes, and encourage my fellow shooters to do likewise. We need to support our local clubs, ladies and gentlemen, or they will disappear. They occupy valuable real estate, y'know.

best...mike & barb

2. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Gary's post about clubs carrying shooting supplies was a reminder that Airport has a good selection of reloading supplies in good quantities, along with gun care products. Also, while at it, Frank did the scoring for our squad on all three events. "End, unload and move, please" followed by the scores. It was the first time I've heard a scorer do it that way, and think it a good practice. Did I remark that Frank makes a great pot, no, vat, of chili?

best,,,mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.