1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A nice story about old men and a Savage 311A *****

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 682b, Aug 20, 2013.

1. 682b

682b Member

A nice story about a savage 311 and some old men

I had been dating my future wife for some time when she told me she needed to go see her uncle. He was not in good shape and requested we come by. After the reminiscing and family talk he said look in my closet and get my old rabbit gun. I retrived the old savage 311 A with no s/s/ number. He told me to give it to my son. I looked at him sort of funny and said I didn't have a son I wasn't even married to his nice and we weren’t sure about our future. I worked construction and moved frequently. He said he wanted our son to have it. Several years later We got married and had a son.
    I had gone dove hunting with some guys I did not normally hunt with and took the 16ga 311. It shot well, well enough they did not invite me back. My Dad had stopped by and saw the gun and asked about It. He liked the story and when he left he took the barrels to clean them up. The next time I saw them they had a nice Matt finish on them .
    Lets go 15 or so years into the future, My dad had passed and my son did not shoot so I did not mess with the gun. I saw it, the case coloring was in bad shape and Lawrence had engraved his initials in the receiver. I deiced to polish them out and get the remaining metal crecoated. When it came back it looked good enough to need some new wood. I had had a chunk laying around since before my Dad passed in 2005 I sent it to Silver Hill to be turned and then I fitted and finished it. When it was finished I told Tom that he could not sell the gun. When times got tough like all young men go through and if he needed money that bad there would be a 100.00 dollar bill in the stock if he really needed it. ill to be turned and then finished it.
    In the end his Great uncle, Grand father and Father all had a hand in his gun.

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/jted1952/media/DSCN1421_zps9930805e.jpg.html" target="_blank"> DSCN1421_zps9930805e.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s110.photobucket.com/user/jted1952/media/DSCN1420_zps0c5bcf87.jpg.html" target="_blank"> DSCN1420_zps0c5bcf87.jpg </a>

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Definetly one of a kind. Beautiful piece.

3. kenf

kenf Active Member

Great story and a beautiful 311. I had one of those and they never came with wood like that.

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

I wouldn't expect so kenf;) couldn't agree with you more--great story.

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That is a beauty.

6. Mapper

Mapper Member

Thank You Lord! I am not the only one to do this. My son inherited his uncle-in-law's 37 Winchester. He had it reblued and I put on a fiddleback walnut stock.
    When my son died, his bro-in-law got it. I doubt it has been fired since the fancy up.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Nice.

Alas, inlaws wheedled my uncle into letting them have my grandfathers guns, then they promptly sold them.

At least I have my dad's bolt action .410 shotgun.

8. 682b

682b Member

Thanks for the fine words. They say it is the journey that counts but with every journey you just don't know outcome. This one was good. Granted I could have used better wood or had the action re cased hardened but the fact is it is just a 60 or 70 year old Savage 311. The Savage had some upgrades available and the early problems were addressed. The main one was the gun barrels did not want to stay open and would start to close thus needing to have to hold them open while trying to load them. Most if not all of her bad habits were fixed with a Wolf spring kit. I have to give credit to H&H gunsmithing in north western N.C. We had good communication and he was reasonable with his fees. That is always a plus. I feel that was due to the expertise working on these old guns.

9. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

A wonderful story.

My only regret is having a Grandfather, who instead of passing down his guns to his two Grand-sons who loved to hunt, he sold them. He was one of those fellows who cherished money over his family...That would be another story. We have nothing to remember our Gandfather by now.

Thank You Big Boy for reminding us that there are some wonderful families out there.

Dave in SC