1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A new thread for an old question, please answer

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SL900LOADER, Jun 24, 2013.

1. SL900LOADER

SL900LOADER Member

Please forgive me for starting many threads, but ive had a lot of questins answered, so i keep asking.

There was a recent thread about why a barrel bulged and burts for an unknown reason, and i had a thread asking about how many times i should reuse a hull,

I see pro's and fellow shooter blowing the smoke out of there barrel and checking to see that it's clear, i only shoot winchester AA reloads, should i be doing the same?...sometimes i look most times i dont.

Is there a chance of a Win AA basewad coming loose and staying in my barrel?
    I never thought this is something to look for.

2. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

There is a chance of a Win AA basewad coming loose, but only on certain versions of that shell. Identifying the new and improved model is important, but I don't remember the answer. Someday this will be relevant to me when I work into my stash of AAs.

Consider changing your thread title to something like 'which AA empty is safe?'

3. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I reload AA hulls exclusively and have confidence in the hulls with HS on the brass base. I pitch my empties after their 3rd reload as I have plenty of once fired AA hulls. I would be much more nervous if I had Federal Gold Medal smooth hulls.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Let the smoke clear on its own then look down the barrel. Your breath down the barrel can cause condensation / rust pitting.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I'll preface my comments by saying both AA families are safe, but a two-pc hull can separate easier than a one-pc...

I like to look down the barrel just before dropping in the next round... I'll blow down the barrel after every five... on the move.

Jay

6. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

I used to but had a complaint that it made too much noise. I don't do it anymore but I don't think it's a bad idea. BTW, I don't shoot with the complainer anymore.

7. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

I had some of the dark gray AA Handicap hulls that were possibly the version mentioned above. The base wads on several came loose when the primer was seated which made the shot noticeably high in the hull before crimping. Shot and powder were weighed and found to be right on. Since that experience I load none of the two piece AA hulls. One less thing to be concerned about on the line.

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I've shot hundreds of thousands of reloads and never looked down my barrel after a shot. Although, the old Blue Magic shells would bust in half some of the time, and when I pulled out a half a shell, I knew a piece of hull was stuck in the barrel. Maybe, I've been lucky?

9. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

SL900, when and if one does come apart, you should sense a different sensation/noise resulting from it. At least I have. Never had a AA do it but several GM's.

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

An old time trapshooter from PA always smelled his ejected empty cases after firing. Sadly, after several PA titles, he died of lung cancer at age 52-never smoked a cigarette!!