1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A new shooter

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Haskins Bill, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

We had a guest at our little indoor 22 pistol league Wednesday evening. A nice Japanese fellow of about 35. He was in this country on work related business and one of our members invited him out to shoot. This man had never shot any type of firearm in his life! After introductions and comments about only police,military and gangsters having firearms in Japan, we set him up with a Ruger pistol with a red dot shooting from a pistol rest. You should have seen the look on his face after the first couple of shots. We then let him shoot normally and he was puttin many of his shots in the bullseye. We all had a good time sharing our sport with him. He was amazed to hear of the fine firearms manufactured in Japan but of course off limits to his countrymen. Time did not allow us to have him as a a guest on our Thursday night trap shooting. We could have opened up the trap Wednesday but no one had a shotgun with them. What a shame there is no or very little shooting sports over there. Guess we can thank Douglas McAarthur for that one, he did write their post war constitution. Bill

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

One of our club members is of Oriental descent. He picked the game up with astonishing quickness. Shooting less than a year, he has shot a 98 on the Skeet field. He regularly has two shells left on Low Eight.

When relatives visit, he brings them to the club. They also pick the sport up VERY quickly.

If there are nicer folks at the club, one would have to look long and hard.

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Similar story. One the guys in our local pistol club brought a friend vacationing from Japan to a bowling pin match. This guy thought he was just going to be a spectator but we like new shooters and want everyone to 'play'. So club members got together and pooled equipment to provide a pistol, holster rig, mags and ammo and showed him the basics of gun handling. We entered him in the C class division thinking that he would at least get to go to the line three times before washing out. He lost his first bout but not by much and then went on without a loss to win the class. He followed the safety instruction perfectly and showed remarkable eye-hand coordination. After vacation ended, he went back to Japan and later EMailed the club that the bowling pin match was the the most fun he had ever had on a vacation and he is planning to return on this year's vacation. We are all looking forward to seeing him.

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

December 07, 1941. My uncle was killed there. MacArthur (this is the correct spelling) knew what he was doing.

5. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Wayneo, I did not meant to take anything away from your uncles or anyone elses sacrifice.I had an uncle that was with Patton's army when they helped the airborne out at Bastogne. I spent 1967 in Vietnam. I had a brother in law that ran a machine gun in Korea also. I guess I could really start a mess if I mentioned that the real reason MacArthur wanted to get back to the Philipines was to get the family Coca Cola busniness up and running again!!! The US could have still won the war without bothering with Manila etc. I was just trying to pass on a good experience for what seemed like a nice enough man that lives in a society that does not have the freedoms that we take so many times for granted. Bill

6. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

PS. I stood at the Arizona memorial and it was the highlight to our trip to Hawaii a few years back. Not too many dry eyes. My wife at the time could not understand why I and her brother in law got so emotioanl.

7. crusha

crusha TS Member

You should see what asians are doing to competitive archery at the world championship level. You can go on You Tube and watch the Koreans shoot off against the Italian team in Ulsan...Frangilli is considered by many to be the "dominant" recurve archer in the current era...but the Koreans stood there and piled up 10's on his team like they were eating cookies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.