1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A More Patriotic 4th of July?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by jimrich60, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I just finished watching the 4th of July celebration at Washington D.C (A Capitol 4th) and then the final half of Macys 4th of July. I don't know if it is just my perception, but it seems to me that both shows were much more heavily patriotic themed than in recent years. Of course, the 4th is in and of itself, "patriotic", but frequently the entertainment prior to the fireworks is more or less "secular". That is, it has been pop music, or the like. This year, however, most of the music was heavily patriotic in nature; i.e.,lots of music from George M Cohan like"over there" and "yankee doodle dandy" plus others, and lots of other unabashedly American songs, along with a lot of Souza marches Marine band, Army units, and so forth. Then similar music on the Macys 4th, culminating in the fireworks to the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" None of these are unusual in themselves, course, but the the entire shows seem composed of such music. Wonderful to see and hear, especially this year when there has seemed to be so much anti-Americanism, not from overseas, but righ here at home. I was very much surprised, and pleasantly so, but wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Jim R

2. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I saw a little of it on tv. Since I had not watched in recent years I couldn't tell the difference. I watched Reba sing last night I didn't think she sang any more patriotic songs than usual. I then went to our local fireworks and was entertained for about 40 minutes with aerial bombs that were fantastic to watch. They just keep getting better since I was a kid some 55 years ago and went to watch for the first time that I can remember and commented to my parents that I didn''t see any model T's in rows and they looked at each other and asked me what I was talking about and I said that last time we went there were rows of model T's in lines and they laughed and told me this was the first time I had ever seen the fireworks. I did notice that the parade in Champaign was smaller than usual and particularly missed the bands who used to come. I guess there is no money to send the kids and feed them for the day. Sure makes a parade lacking when there are fewer kids in it. Only saw about 7 older cars and no newer ones so the car clubs stayed away also. Plenty of firetrucks and ambulances though. I liked the parades before the recession better. Dan

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Jim,

I think you're right, but I'm not sure why the liberal media embraced a more patriotic and religious theme than in the last few years?

God Bless America

TNCoach

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

TNCoach

I am not sure either, but I am hoping that it might be an indication, however slight, that the mood of the country (the people) is beginning to shift back just a little and beginning once again to believe in our own country. Just a hope, but I begin to sense that many people are tiring of the marxist pretender in the White House.

Jim R

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe we're just being more perceptive to the patriotic things going on around us, because it has become more blatantly obvious that we are closer to losing freedom than ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.