1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A money saving idea for Dog owners.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Jul 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

In the entrances to wall mart they have bins to drop plastic bags for recycling. They dont mind if you grab some. They make good dog clean up bags.

2. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I always carry some with me in a WWII ammo satchel for cleanup, along with camera and water for the dogs. Out in the bush I don't care but in town people really think well of you when they see you clean up after your pet.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Wireguy, what kind of camera does your dog use? (I gave mine my old Leica M6 & can never get it back from him...)

4. Milkbone

Milkbone TS Member

My Wal-Mart doesn't have a bag recycling bin, so it would be best not to assume they all have them.

5. WS

WS Member

Been using the plastic bags for this for years, always have a stack of them at home as the bagger at the grocery seems to try and see how many bags he can use each time.

6. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Just throw the droppings in your neighbors yard!!

Curt

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

With the advent of digital photography I can afford for both of us to "shoot" but the camera takes quite a beating if I let Max carry it all the time. Here's one he shot last season.

8. YUKONJACK

YUKONJACK TS Member

The best that I have found for "CLEAN-UP" after your dog is the non-ziplock foldover sandwich bags.
    They handy,and in-expensive.A box of them contains 150 count.You just put your hand in it like a glove,pick up the droppings,and then turn the bag inside out and all your friends and neighbors are happy.Yukon Jack

9. K-Hornet

K-Hornet Member

I had a Short-Hair named Blue that was Twelve years old when I came onto an idea after watching him in the horse stalls one day. My neighbor has a wood working shop and he gives me his waist saw chips to use in my horse stalls. There is about 200# a month I get so when ever I put fresh chips down Blue would be in there trying to eat them. Well I got the idea to start mixing wood chips with his food to cut the feed expense down. Every week or ten days I would cut his feed back by 10% and add more wood chips. All went well and by the time I got to a 50-50 mix when ever I picked up his yard waste it was nice and solid and easy to dispose of. I started to burn them in my wood stove in the shop and very little smell. By the time I got to 80-20 mix of chips and dog food the smell went away and I thought about starting my wifes dogs on the mix, then I wouldn't need fire wood any more. Blue did drag his bottom a bit more but I figured that was normal for his new diet. The wife had to remove a wood sliver every now and then from his bottom and told me that was enough and quit fooling around with his feed and "NO I could not feed her show dogs any wood chips". But with the money I was saving I could shoot a few more rounds of trap each week. Well by the time I got Old Blue to 100% wood chips I found him stiff as a board one Sunday morning. Being it was the middle of Winter and I could not dig a hole to plant him in I decided to creamate him in my wood stove. Lo and be hold he took about 6 & 1/2 hours to burn. Even in death that old boy warmed my heart.

I think I just tried to change his diet to fast and should have taken more time to let his old body to adjust to the wood chips. I now have Two new pups and their at about 30% wood chips in the last 6 month. Will let you know on how they are doing with a later post.

10. 700X-user

700X-user Member

ROFLMAO!

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.