1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A lube for reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Unknown1, Dec 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I have 4 P-W 900 presses and there are a number of places on them I've wanted to lubricate but didn't want to use oil or grease on because it would hold grit.

A friend of mine put me onto a product by Dupont called "Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant". He's a bicycle nut and vows that it's the best chain and all-purpose lube he's ever used. <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

I tried it on several squeaking springs and other friction points on my main loader a month ago and I can still feel it in place after 30 days. It sprays on white but dries clear to a waxy-feeling coating that doesn't transfer to the fingers. I know that there probably isn't enough teflon in it to be useful but whatever else is in it stays where it's put, doesn't hold dirt and it stopped the squeaks. Lowes sells it or it can be mail ordered from places like Amazon.

MK

2. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

TriFlow grease is about the best; also Gunslick.
    Check Shotgun World in the Reloading Sticky Threads section for "greasing the MEC collet.

Doc

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- I must have over 20 different containers, some part full, some unopened, of different gun lubes. After reading your post, I think I will have another one tomorrow. I don't need another lubricant. I will never be able to use the stock I now have, but that is not a good reason for me not to get some more.

Pat Ireland

4. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"TriFlow grease is about the best."</I></blockquote>Doc, the whole point of the exercise is to AVOID using grease or oil in some places. They hold whatever dirt settles on them; the Dupont stuff doesn't. It's not for everyplace; it's just for the places you DON'T want sticky stuff.

BTW, for the collet of my MEC Supersizer I have found that "Sta-Lube Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease" from AutoZone etc. lasts longer than Tri-Flow regardless what the guys over in Shotgun World think:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I also use Sta-Lube Brake Caliper Synthetic Grease. It last a long time and make my reloader feel smooth.

6. eyegoods

eyegoods TS Member

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Another one to look at is Slick 50's One Lube in the 12 oz. spray can at MENARDS (ACE wants $6),$3.99, occasionally $1 off. Kinda like the "Poor Man's Tri-Flow". P.S. Don't spray it on the linoleum if you're planning on walking on it later. ;-)

8. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Old news for most of us."</I></blockquote>Who's "most of us" besides you?

MK

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Like Pat, I have a shelf full of different grease and oils I have collected over the years. The Dupont stuff sounds like the RenDryLube I have. Been around for years. It also has Teflon and is a dry lube. Most of this stuff is the SOS in a different package. Never understood the hoopla over Triflow either. I think I threw it away. Tri is 3, like 3 in one oil or Breakfree, CLP . 3 again. There is all kinds of 3 stuff. Whoopi. The brake caliper stuff is usually a graphite molybdenum disulfide grease . The nastiest stuff I have ever used. It is good for trigger and sear engagement sufaces but too nasty to use elsewhere. STOS is the best grease I have used. I use it on my PW along with liquid Super Lube.

10. Unknown1

The Rem DriLube and the Dupont stuff are completely different in what they contain. The Dupont stuff is a synthetic lubricating wax; the Rem Lube is a lightweight polymer.

Love that brake caliper grease for lubing metal-to-metal resizing collets.. Nasty...to some, maybe; slippery and long-lasting...absolutely! STOS is used to lube nylon-to-metal; heck, Crisco will do that.

Use whatever you think works; that's why there's more than one product on the market.

MK

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Not completely different, they both use Teflon and that will be the key ingredient. Notice the first word in the name is Teflon.

12. Unknown1

You're right...the Dupont stuff contains about half the Teflon of the Remington stuff but they both DO contain some.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.