1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A long shot from secure, Kim Rhode (Article)

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Sep 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A long shot from secure

BRIAN GOMEZ - THE GAZETTE

All Kim Rhode wanted Thursday when she pulled into a California shopping center was a nice rug for her new home.

She got one, and thieves got away with the shotgun she used to win four Olympic medals.

While the four-time Olympian bought a $600 rug with her mother, two men smashed the passenger-side window of her father's pickup and snatched her custom-made, 12-gauge shotgun.

Rhode, 29, of Monrovia, Calif., competed in a USA Shooting final Tuesday for the first time since her Perazzi MX-12 was stolen, placing second in skeet at the World Shotgun Championships selection match at Fort Carson.

A top-three finish secured her spot at the August 2009 event in Maribor, Slovenia. She will compete Sept. 29 at the World Cup Final in Minsk, Belarus.

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department is searching for two Latino suspects, who were in a red or maroon Ford Expedition before they broke into the 1992 Nissan owned by Richard Rhode at an outlet plaza in Lake Elsinore, Calif.

Detectives have fingerprints off the truck, as well as surveillance footage showing the men driving past the truck and walking toward the shopping center.

"It carried me through four Olympics," Rhode said of the gun she shot en route to gold medals in 1996 in Atlanta and in 2004 in Athens, a silver last month in Beijing and a bronze in 2000 in Sydney.

Without the gun she used for 18 years in firing more than 1.5 million rounds, Rhode was inconsistent, struggling to adjust to a "really springy" air cushion - the mechanism that absorbs the recoil - on a replacement Perazzi MX-12.

Still, she hit 23 of 25 airborne targets, including her first eight and her final 10 of the competition won by Haley Dunn. Jaiden Grinnell took third.

"It could be pretty devastating," Olympic bronze medalist Jason Turner of Colorado Springs said of a shooter losing a gun. "Kind of makes you question the next time you go out. Is it me or is it the gun?"

Said Richard Rhode: "It's hard not to have doubts when your equipment is taken. It's all a mental game."

Kim Rhode called her stolen gun a "part of you. It would be like an ice skater having her skates stolen and having to get brand-new skates. That's tighter leather, and new laces, and maybe not quite the right fit. You have confidence and faith in that gun."

If a $5,000 reward doesn't lead to the return of her gun, Rhode admits it's probably gone for good.

"It's not the end of the world," Rhode said. "It just means a lot more work, a lot more determination, a lot more practice, a lot more on my end."

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

"It's not the end of the world," Rhode said. "It just means a lot more work, a lot more determination, a lot more practice, a lot more on my end."

I LOVE THIS GIRL!!!! She has the attitude of a true champion.

3. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

She shoots 83,333 rounds per year ???????????????????????????????????

4. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

DoubleAuto, I find it hard to understand why so many folks tend to blame the victim. A F**king thief is just that and there is nothing that suggest's that the victim asked for it. See the other thread about this unfortunate incident and you will have some insight. BRGII

5. recurvyarcher

N. J. BOB, last year I shot 3 flats per day on most days for about 2 months to get ready for the season's ATA competition, so it's entirely possible for her to do that during the whole year.

6. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I am sorry she had her gun stolen, no one is to blame, to bad we can't leave things in our vehicles. It really must be hard to deal with still shooting in competion with your gun being gone.
    I really hope they are able to track her gun down and hope no one has damaged this gun.
    It seems funny that they picked this vehicle, they must have seen her put it in the truck or there is no way they just stoped at this truck.
    Hope they catch them while they still have the gun. Bill

7. Joe Potosky

re: rounds shot

Here is an article written about her just prior to her winning silver this year.

-----

One key to Rhode's success, her father said, is her uncommon hand-eye coordination. But she also works hard at her sport, shooting as many as 1,000 rounds a day -- at a cost of more than $350 -- at the Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall, which built a modern skeet range for her to train on.

She is phenomenal. I take breaks to go out and watch her shoot," said range manager Gene Gulseth. "I've seen her shoot standing on her head. She's taught me things I've never known."

Gulseth isn't the only one for whom Rhode has put on a show. Before her second Olympics, she did some trick shooting for George W. Bush, who was then running for president.

"We got bored," Rhode said, explaining how she learned to shoot everything from pennies to aspirin. "You can always find a challenge, but it was just to break up the monotony and keep it interesting."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olyrhode13-2008aug13,0,3443687.story

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been a victim of gun theft. I will not leave a gun case in open view in a church parking lot. The theives are the culprits but why go to a mall with a gun case in plain sight? As I recall there were alerts about car break ins at a sporting goods store in Vegas. This happens all the time. You have to know this could happen.

9. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you had read her report you would know that the gun was NOT in plain sight.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

As I said on another thread it's very likely the miscreants here knew what they were after and followed Kim from her photo shoot. Once she was in the parking lot with the gun hidden under several items in the locked truck, the creeps simply went for the prize leaving money and tools intact in the truck. There should be no blame at all for Kim in this episode.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I feel terrible that Kims gun was stolen but I question if it was secured as it should of or could off been being as it is of such great value ... We all know that thieves break windows on homes, cars, trucks, store fronts, and every place else you can think of so fill in the blanks (hell you see it on the television all the time) ... There was another article that stated she was buying shoes for her up coming wedding but that really doesn't matter being as the fact is her gun was stolen ... It does not seem to be a ramdom selection of her fathers pick up so someone had to know the gun was in that truck or did they just get lucky ..? If that gun was that important and a piece of American History as stated on another thread it should of been better protected ... Thats just the way it is plain and simple ... The thieves did what they do on a daily basis and if we are not careful we become the victim but not without some degree of fault on our part because we know and read about crimes all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

12. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

WPT

I guess you just don't get it either! If I wanted to steal the trap gun you shoot everyday, there is nothing, I repeat nothing you could do about it...period! There are NO steps to protect something you use in public regardless of your efforts. If a thief wants it bad enough, they will have it without harm to you or kill you dead in your tracks to get it. It happens every day.

Mark Rounds

13. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

DoubleAuto, I find it hard to understand why so many folks tend to blame the victim. A F**king thief is just that and there is nothing that suggest's that the victim asked for it. See the other thread about this unfortunate incident and you will have some insight. BRGII

14. recurvyarcher

N. J. BOB, last year I shot 3 flats per day on most days for about 2 months to get ready for the season's ATA competition, so it's entirely possible for her to do that during the whole year.

15. roscoeparker

roscoeparker Member

I am sorry she had her gun stolen, no one is to blame, to bad we can't leave things in our vehicles. It really must be hard to deal with still shooting in competion with your gun being gone.
    I really hope they are able to track her gun down and hope no one has damaged this gun.
    It seems funny that they picked this vehicle, they must have seen her put it in the truck or there is no way they just stoped at this truck.
    Hope they catch them while they still have the gun. Bill

16. Joe Potosky

re: rounds shot

Here is an article written about her just prior to her winning silver this year.

-----

One key to Rhode's success, her father said, is her uncommon hand-eye coordination. But she also works hard at her sport, shooting as many as 1,000 rounds a day -- at a cost of more than $350 -- at the Oak Tree Gun Club in Newhall, which built a modern skeet range for her to train on.

She is phenomenal. I take breaks to go out and watch her shoot," said range manager Gene Gulseth. "I've seen her shoot standing on her head. She's taught me things I've never known."

Gulseth isn't the only one for whom Rhode has put on a show. Before her second Olympics, she did some trick shooting for George W. Bush, who was then running for president.

"We got bored," Rhode said, explaining how she learned to shoot everything from pennies to aspirin. "You can always find a challenge, but it was just to break up the monotony and keep it interesting."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/olympics/la-sp-olyrhode13-2008aug13,0,3443687.story

17. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have been a victim of gun theft. I will not leave a gun case in open view in a church parking lot. The theives are the culprits but why go to a mall with a gun case in plain sight? As I recall there were alerts about car break ins at a sporting goods store in Vegas. This happens all the time. You have to know this could happen.

18. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

If you had read her report you would know that the gun was NOT in plain sight.

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

As I said on another thread it's very likely the miscreants here knew what they were after and followed Kim from her photo shoot. Once she was in the parking lot with the gun hidden under several items in the locked truck, the creeps simply went for the prize leaving money and tools intact in the truck. There should be no blame at all for Kim in this episode.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Personally, I feel terrible that Kims gun was stolen but I question if it was secured as it should of or could off been being as it is of such great value ... We all know that thieves break windows on homes, cars, trucks, store fronts, and every place else you can think of so fill in the blanks (hell you see it on the television all the time) ... There was another article that stated she was buying shoes for her up coming wedding but that really doesn't matter being as the fact is her gun was stolen ... It does not seem to be a ramdom selection of her fathers pick up so someone had to know the gun was in that truck or did they just get lucky ..? If that gun was that important and a piece of American History as stated on another thread it should of been better protected ... Thats just the way it is plain and simple ... The thieves did what they do on a daily basis and if we are not careful we become the victim but not without some degree of fault on our part because we know and read about crimes all the time ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.