1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

&&& A Little Tech Information &&&

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dennis DeVault, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

I don't know exactly what I want to say but here goes. Ladt week we received a stoxk and forend in the shop for a repair. In the 16 years that we have been doing custom stocks this stock is by far the worst fit to the metal with a piece of wood that my guys have ever seen. The gaps in the back of the tang area are about an eight of an inch away from the metal. All of the pressure was on the ears of the wood. The gun was shot less than 150 times and the stock broke in 8 places. The left ear was broke completely off and there is at least 1/4 of space or gap were the back of the stock is not bedded into the pressure block in the back of the receiver. This is also another situation where the person that had the stock did not send the gun to the stock maker to fit all the metal parts to the wood. I know that it is difficult to give up your gun for an extended period of time but stocks take time to produce when all the work is being done by hand. I am not saying that we have never made a mistake before everyone has but I hope that it was never as bad as this job has been. Also I want shooters to understand that if you buy a used stock take it to a good fitter to be sure that it fits your receiver. All of the receivers out there are not created equal and there can be small differences in the pressure areas from gun to gun. This is going to be an expensive repair and it may have been avoided if the person that owns it took the time to have it properly fitted. I am not trying to throw anyone under the bus here I just want shooters to take a deep breath and be a little patient when it comes to wood and metal fit. Wood is expensive and with a little TLC this situation may have been avoided. I did not shjow the forend but it is broken in 4 places and is in need of repair as well. I will post the finished product when we are done and I hope that the new owner has many years of shooting success and enjoyment. Thank you for taking a look.

Dennis Devault

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

That is bad. Real bad. I can't wait to see it after you work your magic. You sir have your work cut out on that one.

3. Peter Sinclare

Peter Sinclare Active Member

I've seen many beautiful custom stock work by Dennis, I'm sure this will come out great, but Perazzi factory stocks are generally very inexpensive on the used market. IMO, unless it's a very special custom stock, a factory Perazzi stock broken in 8 places doesn't worth fixing.

4. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

We are now into the repair of this stock and the crew has found the source of most of the problems. The bolt hole that is in the rear of the stock is not in-line with the hole going to the receiver. It is so far off that when you tighten the bolt the stock lifts and puts all the pressure on the left side of the stock. This preloads the grip and puts the wood in a tremendous bind. The crew is going to rework the hole and get everything in line to relieve all the pressure from the ears. When the stock is completed we will post the photos of the repair and finish.

Dennis DeVault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.