1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A LITTLE OT GUN SAFE QUESTION

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Big Dave, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

I'm about to buy another safe. The only ones I can find at the local suppliers have the electronic combination lock. Being an old fart I like mechanical things that I can see the working of and understand. I had a very old dial type combination one that I know was 75 years old if not older and it worked fine, but after remodelling the house I couldn't get it out of the basement when I moved. Has anyone had any problems with the push button electronics.

Thanks in advance

Big Dave

2. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

I have a safe with an electronic lock that is eight years old. I have replaced the battery once in that time and haven't had any problems. I have another safe with a mechanical lock and much prefer the electronic. It is much easier to manipulate in low light conditions. With my mechanical lock safe I end up keeping a flash light close so I can see the numbers to open it.

3. redix

redix TS Member

I recently switched to an electronic lock & find it a lot easier to use than my old dial type combination.

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Mine has an electronic lock and I much prefer it to the dial type. There is a gun shop in southeastern Pennsylvania that probably has the best prices you'll find on Browning and Liberty safes, but they stock mostly the dial type because it's a hundred bucks or so less expensive. I want to buy a new safe and they have the exact safe I want in stock but the damned thing has a dial lock. I ordered the same thing with an electronic lock one from them.

Aside from replacing a battery once in a great while, the only "problem" I've had is touching the lock while I'm electrostatically charged - a couple of times, the resulting spark has caused the lock to loose its mind or something and I have had to remove and reinstall the battery to reset it.

Ed

5. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I have both types, but I much prefer the Digital type. I was worried about the battery etc. but it has been fine......when I was buying the safe I was trying out both types, but couldn't get the dial type to open, the salesman laughed at me and tried, he couldn't get it open either, after fiddling a while he got it open, by adding a digit to each number....he said that sometimes the dial type have to be recalibrated......go with the digital, you'll never look back

6. Houston6

Houston6 TS Member

If the battery goes dead on the electronic safe, how do you get it open?
    Thanks,
    houston6

7. dsid01

dsid01 TS Member

houston6, the battery is located on the outside underneath the keypad so you can change it without having the safe open. I just bought a liberty safe from Cabelas, their silver series and I love it. I went there to buy an $800 dollar safe they had on sale and when i saw it it looked really cheap. So somehow i conviced my wife to let me get the silver series liberty and I'm glad I did. But the electronic lock is the only way to go.

8. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Fred.....it is alright to be old fashioned.....but once you open the safe in bad light, in 4 seconds.....believe me you WON'T look back....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.