1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A little irritation - gun ads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Yes. I know. I'm a grump.

I’m often a little more than “irked”. I might even get a little “peeved” on occasion. However, it isn’t important enough to get angry about. I’m referring to the fancy used gun ads in the various magazines - the ones that list “P.O.R.” - or “Call” - instead of a price. What the heck are they trying to accomplish? Are they fearful they’ll post an inappropriate price - listing too little when they think they can squeeze more from a buyer? Maybe there’s a fear that the listing will be too high and scare off ALL the shoppers.

Regardless of how interested I might be in a gun, I won’t fall for any ad that says, “P.O.R.” or “Call”. Furthermore, I ignore the complete ad if there is just one of those on the page.

I received a call this morning for a price quote on one of the hormone compounds we make in our pharmacy. I gave the price for one, two, and three months worth. The caller commented that I was the first place he called that actually gave firm prices. The other places said something like, “It depends...” My price might be high or low, but it is always fair.

Larry

[​IMG]

2. glock22

glock22 TS Member

Good for you, I agree!

3. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Some manufacturer's will not allow dealers to post any price but MSRP. They are allowed to deal on a one on one basis, but may be required by their contract to only list MSRP, or list POR or Call in their print advertisements.

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Larry. Skeetman has the truth. They have to adhere to the contract

5. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Yep, I work for a car dealership that handles Chevrolet, Merceded, and Infiniti. The Mercedes ada are not allowed to have a sale price ever. I suppose they are of the mindset that if you have to ask, you can't afford it. It is what it is though and that is how the contract works. John

6. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Go to a car dealer, point at a particular car and ask, "How much is that car?" I'll bet you don't get a price. You will have to sit with the "salesman". give him your life story, answer a dozen or more questions like "do you have a trade-in", and eventually speak to the "manager". Then MAYBE you will get a price.

Car dealers are the most crooked bunch in general. If you say, "trade-in", "finance" or "lease" the price of the car changes.

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Some places may be trying to get feed back to see if the magazine ad is worth paying for?

8. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

For sale: Iver Johnson 12 gauge, broken stock, bent barrel, missing the hammer. LNIB. Call for price.

9. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

For sale: Iver Johnson 12 gauge hammer. LNIB. Call for price.

<snort>

10. The Literalist

The Literalist Well-Known Member

BigM, What is the hammer's POI...and has it been ported?

11. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I usulally tell them if they are ashsamed to put the price on the object then its not worth to consider owning. Turn and walk away. They will follow your hindend out as far as you want to drag them. Wild Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.