1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

a little info on Alliant Extra Lite

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by R.Kipling, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been passed on or not. I do know that there are a number of lite load shooters on this board, always looking for reloading news.

Personally, I've been very interested in the new Alliant Extra Lite powder, but concerned about volume in the hull. I found this on another web site and thought that I would pass it on:

Alliant Reloading

Post subject: Re: MEC Bushings Chart for Extra Lite PowderPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:27 pm

benniesdad,
    I don't know when Extra-lite will be included on official bushing charts, but I can tell you I designed it to be lighter than Red Dot(R) (as well as Clay Dot(R) and Clays, which are all the same nominal density).
    In our automated charging device, the bushing on that machine throws 18.5gr of Red Dot. Extra-lite throws 17.7gr on that unit, so 0.6 - 0.8gr should be about the range of difference, depending on your bushing. All the normal caviats apply, different machines, different techniques, different lots of powder, ect, ect...
    I hope this helps, and thank you for buying our American made shotshell powder.
    Shoot well,
    Paul

Read more: http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=249115#ixzz1HLM9oMoJ

Just FYI,
    Kip

2. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

I asked Alliant, about a year ago, about VMD's for Extra-Lite. Based upon the mass information I was given, the VMD for Extra-Lite was running approximately .1393. That puts it somewhere between Red Dot and Am Select. After using it, it was evident that it is significantly LESS dense than Red Dot, and probably has a VMD closer to .15 (think Rex 0). Maybe the current formulary data was unissued at the time, or maybe I calculated wrong.

That is a great property (fluffyness) in my opinion because it helps fill the hull and larger volume charges seems to meter more accurately.

Do not be wary of this powder based upon charge weights and perceived charge volumes. EL will do everything Rex 0 will, burn cleaner than E3, and is made in the USA.

respectfully K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
alliant extra lite mec bushing

alliant extra lite powder bushing chart

alliant powder bushing chart extra lite
alliant powder bushing guide xtralite
extra lite bushing chart
mec bushing chart fo r extra lite alliant powder
mec powder bushing chart clay dot
pw bushings for extra-lite powder