1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Little Consistency Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by R.Ewing, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R.Ewing

R.Ewing Member

Maybe some of you out there can shine a little light on this for me. I am having a problem with consistency of my scores. Two weeks ago at the state shoot i was breaking 98's, and 97's. Yesterday at a smaller shoot i broke a 74. I was so pissed and embarrassed i didnt know what to do. Anyone have any ideas on what i could do to correct this problem? Anyone have any stories of this happening to them? Thanks

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

R.Ewing- Similar things have happened to me. This year, I had scores of 25-25-25-19 on a singles event. When I miss a couple of targets, I become frustrated and convince myself I need to change something. Unfortunately, rather than concentrating on keeping into the gun, I change something else that makes the problem worse. Then I make another change that compounds the problem. Things can go down hill fast.

I would advise anyone to return to the fundamentals of looking at the target and keeping their head down when problems arise. Ignore all of the other minor points, such as foot position, that make little difference. I do wish I could follow my advice.

After the shoot, make sure you do not have some sort of gun problem such as a comb out of adjustment or a change in trigger pull.

The days where everything goes wrong make the good days that will follow a lot of fun.

Pat Ireland

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Just make sure your head is screwed on straight also helps.

4. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Pat and hippie are 100% correct. If you are shooting good scores and suddenly find things falling apart, most times it is the result of missing 1 target for whatever reason...bad move, etc. Then, anxiety sets in and you start lifting your head (you don't even realize you are doing so) to see if you broke the next target and - miss! Now the anxiety meter goes way up and you lift your head again and again. One poster on here suggested that if you start missing, stay in the gun until you see pieces of the broken target fall to the ground...good advice. Remember you can shoot good scores and need to keep your head down. Best Regards, Ed

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Practice. Practice. Practice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.