1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A legal question child protection

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by copper, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. copper

copper Member

A friend of ours, a single mother moved to TN a couple of years ago. Her eight year old son has been bullied by an eleven year year old boy. The bully ran him down and beat him with with a stick to the point the boy had to go to the emergency room for sutures the other dayl. The mother went to local police who told her they could not do much because the attacker was only eleven . This is very disturbing to me - I was wondering if she should go to state office , I hate to think of some child being killed by a bully. The bullies mother said boys will be boys , she has a monster not a boy. Any advice welcome I am very concerned. thanks very much Dave

2. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

There is no need for me to go into any background regarding my experience in the field, but YOU need to act quickly. Call your friend NOW and tell her to call The Tennessee State Government, Child Protective Services 24-Hour Hotline at 1-423-634-6254. Tell her to explain the situation in detail and tell her to expressly request HELP!

3. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

A childs life and future depend on you making the call. This has become and epedimic and is the result of little or no parental controls at home for most of the bullies.

4. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

So if the bully maimed or killed the other child would they do nothing???? sounds like a little passing the buck.....

5. gotbass

gotbass Member

She will have more success talking to the District Attorney's office that she will with Child Protective Services. CPS's mandate is to protect children, generally from their parents or caretakers. They do not routinely become involved with stopping the criminal activities of kids. I would also consider having a talk with the police chief. Make an appointment and calmly explain that it is your position that his officers should have referred the matter to the DA and not made the the decision regarding disposition of the matter on their own in the field. I have some experience in this area as an attorney having represented CPS, the DA at times, and our sheriff's office over the last 22 years.

6. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

Gotbass,

Thank you! Kit

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

You are getting good advice above. I would consider doing a couple of other things. First, I would tell the police officers (go to the chief if possible) that you demand a report be made and that you are establishing a "special Relationship" between the police department, the suspect and the victim. If you are not happy with anything you hear from the police, contact the city managers office and the mayors office...document all of this. Next, contact an attorney and tell him you want to offer him the legal suit, on contingency, against the parents of the older boy and the city for malfesence. Then, I would contact the school principal and put him on notice. The local newspaper will generally jump on this kind of story.

You have put everyone on notice and set the stage for a stay away order, TRO, as well as told the world you are serious about this. CPS and the state agencies might get involved, but you should have rattled enough local cages to at least get the older boy in enough hot water to make his mother at least pay a little attention. Any kid who uses a "weapon" of any type on a younger kid needs immediate help. Parents must take all action available to protect their young ones.

The other note is, do not get physical with the kid or his parents.

JON

8. copper

copper Member

Thanks very much for all the advise I have passed along we live in NE PA not near this girl, I just feel for her and her son no one should have to deal with this let alone be told nothing can be done. regards David Lester

9. copper

copper Member

Thanks very much for all the advise I have passed along we live in NE PA not near this girl, I just feel for her and her son no one should have to deal with this let alone be told nothing can be done. regards David Lester

10. copper

copper Member

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

David- You live in PA, the fight took place in TN. Somehow, I have the feeling that you do not know all of the facts involved in this incident. The local Police did become involved but did not satisfy the young boys Mother.

Some posters above have given you their well meaning advice. My advice differs from others. I suggest you keep out of the matter. You live a long way from the incident. Your total information is based on something like a telephone conversation from the victims Mother. Young boys often do not tell the whole story about a fight (I certainly didn't). Mothers are not always totally objective about their children. Sounds like it is time to mind your own business.

Pat Ireland

12. WS-1

WS-1 Banned User Banned

When stitches are required to close a wound inflicted by a weapon used by an eleven year old on an eight year old, the time for "minding your own business" is over. Copper, get involved, stay involved, and follow up. Ask you friend if you can get personally involved. You can make calls, gather information, and translate municipal gobbledegook. Everyday, kids die or are maimed because adults "mind their own business."

Kit Thomas

13. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I agree with you Kit. Problem nowadays is nobody wants to get involved. As stated in the opening thread the Mother is a friend of theirs. I don't know about others but i don't walk away from friends. Bulge.

14. shelly

shelly TS Member

Copper, this is the perfect site to acquire legal advice regarding an incident you have no first hand knowledge of in a state in which you have no knowledge of it's laws. The legal advice offered here is well worth it's cost to you.

My legal advice is to obtain legal advice from qualified persons, not anonymous people on the internet. No charge for this advice.

15. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This has been covered a lot lately on Dr Phil. You need to have her call Child Prot services like WS-1 said. This could end in a death very soon. A lot of these kids who are victims end up suicidal Pat - you are totally wrong on this. Go to Dr Phils webste and you will see how important this is

16. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

I would also write some letters - to the mother, the police, the school, the state agenbcy in charge. They can ignore a phone call or try to put you off but a letter ALWAYS brings action.

Also, she will be on record and will have a basis to sue if this occurs again.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    ANd have her show up at the next city council meeting and complain that the police department is failing to protect children. That will stir up a hornet's nest in a public forum. There often is a local reporter covering these meetings and it might get the attention of a local paper.

What burns me up is that a lot of police departments want to disarm citizens and they tell citizens to not take the law into their own hands. Then they refuse to provide services to protect citizens.

18. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Pat - you are totally wrong on this. Go to Dr Phil's webste and you will see how important this is"

Just curious can anyone tell us what Medical Degree/title that Dr. Phil has and then show proof? Dr. Phil is an entertainer he isn't a Dr. in the medical sense. He IMO is a phony nothing more.

Which makes Pat's opinion even better then his as Pat is making no false claims. More than we can say for Dr. Phil.

Bob Lawless

19. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ivanhoe, read his background. Bulge.

Phil McGraw

Phil McGraw photographed by Jerry Avenaim for the cover of Newsweek magazine, 2001
    Born September 1, 1950 (1950-09-01) (age 60)
    Vinita, Oklahoma, U.S.
    Residence Beverly Hills, California, U.S.
    Alma mater Midwestern State University (B.A.)
    University of North Texas (M.A., Ph.D.)
    Occupation Television host
    Salary $80 million in 2009[1]
    Spouse Debbie Higgins (1970–73)
    Robin Jameson (1976–present)
    Children Jay, Jordan
    Website
    www.drphil.com

Phillip Calvin McGraw (born September 1, 1950), best known as Dr. Phil, is an American television personality, author, and psychologist, currently the host of his own television show, Dr. Phil, which debuted in 2002. McGraw first gained celebrity status with appearances on The Oprah Winfrey Show in the late 1990s.[2]

2 Career
    2.1 Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists

20. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Bulge I have many times and by many different sources. You have chosen to use this one. So I would suggest you keep reading you might find some interesting thing in his "background".

"In 1990, McGraw joined lawyer Gary Dobbs in co-founding Courtroom Sciences Inc. (CSI), a trial consulting firm through which McGraw later came into contact with Oprah Winfrey. Eventually, CSI became a profitable enterprise, advising Fortune 500 companies and injured plaintiffs alike in achieving settlements. McGraw is no longer an officer or director of the company."

"After starting CSI, McGraw ceased the practice of psychology. He maintained his license current and in good standing until he elected to retire it 15 years later in 2006. Appearing on the Today Show in January 2008, McGraw said that he has made it "very clear" that his current work does not involve the practice of psychology. He also said that he had "retired from psychology".[18] According to the Today Show, the California Board of Psychology determined in 2002 that he did not require a license because his show involves "entertainment" rather than psychology."

His interest in medicine seems to have disappeared once he hit the grave train of big time entertainment TV.

He has been investigated by the Texas State Board of Examiners of Psychologists
    also in this bio you are quoting he was sued at least 3 time for shooting off his mouth. In the Brittany Spears case he stuck his nose in where it wasn't requested and violated Dr. Patient confidentiality which he could not be charged with ethics violations as he isn't a licensed psychologist.

There are more than enough reason for me not to seek any advice from him. Of course Bulge you are free to use advice from anyone you choose no matter how sleazy. BTW any advice given by that person in this matter just might help ruin a young life.

Bob Lawless