1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Interesting Trap Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by gunner x, Jul 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gunner x

gunner x TS Member

Is there a advantage in having a Narrow Stance Vs a Wide Stance in Trap, and
    if so, Why? And what would you recommend. It must go beyond comfort, yes or no.

Thanks for Sharing,

Gunnerx

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

I've always heard that your stance should be about as wide as your shoulders. YMMV.

Eric

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Whatever feels right to you. Daro's CD has some good info on foot position.

4. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Unless the wind is blowing hard. Then a little wider.

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Shoulder width, but if it's really windy, then may want a bit wider stance.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Women tend to have wider hips, shallower pelvises, narrower shoulders, and shorter legs and arms. The distinctively female pelvic structure gives us women a lower center of gravity. The biomechanics of the pelvic structure can make women more prone to knee problems. The wider pelvis does require women's femurs (thighbones) to swoop towards the knee at much more of an angle than men's, which can cause some structural trouble where the thigh bone connects to the knee bone.

Women tend to be more slack in terms of connective tissue than men. We tend to be more flexible on average, which like most elements of physiology is a mixed blessing. This flexibility results in a greater range of motion, but when joints are lax, they can also be more easily injured. Pregnant and premenstrual women in particular have circulating hormonal environments that relax the connective tissues even further.

Given all of this, I have often wondered if women shooters are not better off in the long run with a slightly wider stance than men. It would be interesting to hear from women with knee and/or hip problems. I know that when I was going through rehab for my hip, a slightly wider stance on post 1 helped to reduce the pain.

If I still had access to the human modelling programs that I used in college, it would be a really interesting excersize to delve into the stance issue from a lot of different perspectives. I bet I could get Neil Winston and Phil Kiner to come out and play that game... *smile*

7. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Miss Recurvy ... you forgot to mention that women just tend to be far better looking before getting into way to much technical information.

8. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Yes I agree that some are beautiful, A few that come to mind would be Kristi Williams, Stephanie Sandler, and our own LAURA! (that is her handle when she posts on this forum). We have some really pretty women in our sport, all great shots, too.

We planted these people in the sport to distract you guys, so that we would have a competitive advantage. :)

9. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Please and I really mean please do not take this the wrong way but I have yet to notice one of these beautiful women when I am shooting ... now when I am not on post shooting I notice them all over the place but when I'm up there trying to get my mind on shoting and do my best to break at least 10 or 12 targets I just dont even think about or know they are around.

Sorry no distraction for me ... well ... maybe I should let them distract me a little and maybe I might be able to bust into the teens in my scorers.

10. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Mr. Newbius, do you live in San Fransico?

11. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Nope ... they dont shoot ATA out there, they shoot that PITA stuff and we all know PITA women are nothing compared to our ATA women.

12. nipper

nipper TS Member

as wide as your shoulders and do not lean foward ie- do not put most of your weight on your front foot. shoot well

bill

13. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Devi, Viva la difference.......

Hope to see you at the Grand!

Hauxfan!

14. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

when I went to as wide as my shoulders (not quite as wide as the love handles though) I found I was fighting thru myself to swing at all!

Just after I went to a narrow stance, and got my swing back! I found a book by Missildine, and low and behold what was now working for me, LOOKS like the pictures in that book!

With my large feet anything toes apart is about shoulder width, but bringing my heels closer together was a great help. so I will vote narrow, with the we are all indiviuals so what I like may not be fore anyone else, thrown in.

By the way my 100 straight came after I went to a narrow stance!

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.