1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A huntig/camping tip!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by kolared person, Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kolared person

kolared person TS Member

How to have a warm lunch after many hours sitting in a frozen tree stand? Before I leave the truck I rubberband one or two hand warmers around a can of ravioli or chunky soup. When I return{usually mid-day} I have a nice warm lunch.

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Why not just pour hot soup, stew or ravioli into a thermos? Then you can pack it into the field.

3. steele

steele TS Member

Many, many years ago, after freezing most of the morning during a late winter bow hunt, my buddy & I returned to my Dad's borrowed truck to warm up & get something to eat. We got the idea to put a can of Dinty Moore beef stew on the engine to warm up. Sounded like a good idea, until we feel asleep & got woke up when the cans of stew exploded!! We smelled stew for 6 weeks, every time we drove the truck.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

muzzleblast.......that's an old trick we used to do on heavy equipment during the winter months, trick is to poke a hole in the top to let gasses escape. I have seen the results of not doing that also. lol

Bill

5. Force Break

Force Break TS Member

Every GI knows about heating food on an engine, yes with the holes.
    These new turbo cookers with the canned fuel are great for a quick HOT meal in the field. My buddy had one on an elk hunting trip and it boiled water in 30 seconds and we just added freeze dried whatever. Now one resides in my duck boat dry storage, no more frozen sandwiches and tepid coffee.
    The only problem is that they are spendy for all the accessories.
    Live Well and Eat Well

6. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I used my Coleman canned fuel single burner stove as a heater and could cook on it too. Ray

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

MRE'sare self heating with a little water.

8. steele

steele TS Member

FB, That is the difference of us being young & dumb, & now we are old & dumb!!
    My Dad still mentioned that stinky truck & that happened 42 years ago. All good hunting memories aren't about the animals.

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I had a buddy with truck, boat, and family who would pack the hot dogs in tin foil and lay them on the valley created by the intake manifold of his inboard ski boat. After a round of water skiing for all who wanted same, they'd anchor the boat off shore in any of the N.Calif. lakes and enjoy the dogs without ever lighting a fire or packing a BBQ.....breakemall......Bob Dodd

10. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

What you all need is a Benghazie Boiler or Volcano Boiler. i have one. It will heat 2 quarts of water to boiling and heat cans of food all in under 4 minutes using twigs, grass and paper. It's a neet tool and one I wouldn't be without.

http://www.thermette.com/thermette_history.htm

http://www.kellykettle.com/

I have the Kelly Kettle with the cooking assembly pack.

11. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

You could always drink the squeeze and throw the soup out. But... It's probably not to good for you.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.