1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Hell of a Mess: Observations by Lee Iacocca

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerbear, Jan 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Just got this email.... Good stuff.

So here's where we stand:

We're immersed in a bloody war with no plan for winning and no plan for leaving. We're running the biggest deficit in the history of the country. We're losing the manufacturing edge to Asia, while our once-great companies are getting slaughtered by health care costs. Gas prices are skyrocketing, and nobody in power has a coherent energy policy. Our schools are in trouble. Our borders are like sieves. The middle class is being squeezed every which way.

These are times that cry out for leadership. But when you look around, you've got to ask: "Where have all the leaders gone?" Where are the curious, creative communicators? Where are the people of character, courage, conviction, competence, and common sense?

I may be a sucker for alliteration, but I think you get the point.

Name me a leader who has a better idea for homeland security than making us take off our shoes in airports and throw away our shampoo? We've spent billions of dollars building a huge new bureaucracy, and all we know how to do is react to things that have already happened.

Name me one leader who emerged from the crisis of Hurricane Katrina. Congress has yet to spend a single day evaluating the response to the hurricane, or demanding accountability for the decisions that were made in the crucial hours after the storm. Everyone's hunkering down, fingers crossed, hoping it doesn't happen again.

Now, that's just crazy. Storms happen. Deal with it. Make a plan. Figure out what you're going to do the next time.

Name me an industry leader who is thinking creatively about how we can restore our competitive edge in manufacturing. Who would have believed that there could ever be a time when "the Big Three" referred to Japanese car companies?

How did this happen? And more important, what are we going to do about it?

Name me a government leader who can articulate a plan for paying down the debt, or solving the energy crisis, or managing the health care problem. The silence is deafening. But these are the crises that are eating away at our country and milking the middle class dry.

I have news for the gang in Congress. We didn't elect you to sit on your asses and do nothing and remain silent while our democracy is being hijacked and our greatness is being replaced with mediocrity.

What is everybody so afraid of? That some bobblehead on Fox News will call them a name? Give me a break. Why don't you guys show some spine for a change?

Had enough? Hey, I'm not trying to be the voice of gloom and doom here. I'm trying to light a fire. I'm speaking out because I have hope. I believe in America. In my lifetime I've had the privilege of living through some of America's greatest moments. I've also experienced some of our worst crises -- the Great Depression, World War II, the Korean War, the Kennedy assassination, the Vietnam War, the 1970s oil crisis, and the struggles of recent years culminating with 9/11. If I've learned one thing, it's this:

You don't get anywhere by standing on the sidelines waiting for somebody else to take action. Whether it's building a better car or building a better future for our children, we all have a role to play. That's the challenge I'm raising in this book. It's a call to action for people who, like me, believe in America . It's not too late, but it's getting pretty close. So let's shake off the horseshit and go to work. Let's tell 'em all we've had enough.

Excerpted from Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

(Copyright) 2007 by Lee Iacocca. All rights reserved.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Yeah...let's all "shake off the horse-shit" and get to work, just like Lee Iacocca did -

...send your lobbyists to Washington to beg like a whiny bitch for a Government bail-out.

(After all, we all know, the Government isn't the answer, right?)

...then trumpet how "Made in America" means something once again - while selling Dodges with Mitsubishi under the hood.

Then - write a book about it!

What a horse's ass. (At least Ross Perot rode away quietly).

Even if I _didn't_ have the image of his Depends-clad ass riding around in a golf cart with Snoop Dogg, cemented into my mind...the crap above would already be teary-eyed funny.

3. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Lee ain't exactly my hero, but he does make a few good points! I'll give him that!

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Now for the complete version.

Neil

5. marotta

marotta Member

Lee's Got My Vote.

6. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Thanks Neil.... Good read.

Jerbear

7. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So Buzz Gun you didn't like what he said? What's your solution? Oh and by the way no more Mitbushi motors under the hood of Chrysler at this time. I would have to look it up but I think that ended around 1990? Maybe you figure the leaders are Campaigning now? Oh don't get me wrong I do not have the answers either but he made some good points. JMHO BIll

8. ArmySGM

ArmySGM Member

We need a leader to get the gun owners, the hunters, fishermen, smokers and the other groups being nipped at to band together. With that many votes we should be able to vote some decent people in office to work for the country, not themselves

Gary.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Lee Iacocca? Give me a break. This 'genius' thinks all handguns should be banned.

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Yeah! I read the Snopes and still I agree with buzz-gun.

Buz

11. jimx200

jimx200 Member

buzzgun, you either have selective memory or are ignorant of the facts on the Chrysler bailout. Chrylser paid back the gov. loan IN FULL well BEFORE it was due! And this same bailout saved hundreds of thousands of AMERICAN jobs and held off the foreign (Japanese) companies for many years. Please tell us what your prescription is for turning around this country. At least Iacocca has walked the walk.

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

No, Iacocca has written a "book" about somebody walking some kind of walk, or...something.

Uh, jimx200, you need to check your facts about the Chrysler bailout:

1. Chrysler paid back their debt in full? Hah - Chrysler got a sweetheart political deal and was allowed to pay back their loan at a below-market guarantee fee of less than a percent (that's courtesy of the taxpayers...me and, I assume, you).

2. You are totally silent on the issue of CREDITORS. As part of the bailout agreement, Chrysler was allowed to STIFF their creditors to the tune of about 70 cents on the dollar of unrecovered obligations. They basically got the advantages of filing bankruptcy...without filing bankruptcy (ie, the fat cats didn't have to lose the whole value of their equity stakes). Make no mistake - the creditors got left holding the bag, and Chrysler did NOT make them whole on it.

3. The bailout saved American jobs? Uh, have you read any newspapers lately, dude? It simply enabled some geniuses to later sell the company into foreign hands, before bringing it back for the P'Cap guys to strip and flip - at a fraction of the former employment level. That hardly qualifies as "preserving American industrial assets." Only the old union farts who "got theirs" and got out before the fit hit the shan could possibly believe something as stupid as what you wrote. My experience with these Michigan UAW types is that most of them would sell their own mothers down the river for a "Package." "Getting Packages" is NOT the same thing as "Saving Jobs," so you'd do well to learn the difference.

4. The bailout held off the Japanese companies for many years? Oh really? Uh...let's see...hanging around siphoning sales off of Ford and GM somehow staved off the Japanese, and made American jobs safer? Oh yeah...right...I forgot, we're talking "Michigan UAW Logic" here.

Plop your a** on your Harley with the loud pipes and the flag on the back, ride down to the Union Hall, and plaster up some "Iacocca for Prez" signs...maybe if you spend the $24.99 for his book, he'll autograph a copy of his "rant" just for you.

("From one Bush hater to another...signed, Lido")

13. nukinfuts

nukinfuts TS Member

Huh...There you have it.A disgrunted employee!! Give me a break and save the coffee break room talk...Nuc

14. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Iacocca has very selective memory. Buzz-gun covers the 80's. Here's what Iacocca did at Ford:

Iacocca was not the "father" of the Mustang. Mustang's development was well along when Iacocca became Ford Division General Manager. Donald Frye was the father of the car, and Iacocca never gave him the credit he was due. Iacocca was a marketing type, not a designer or engineer.

Iacocca attempted an internal coup when he became President of Ford. He detested Henry Ford II. He used the company's aircraft for junkets to Italy for custom clothing and shoes, and acted as though the company was his private fiefdom. He also steered business to his pal at Fugazi Travel, which violated internal controls at Ford. Iacocca is fortunate that the SEC didn't come down on his a$$.

When Iacocca finally retired, he couldn't leave well-enough alone. He partnered with Kirk Kerkorian when he thought the two of them could take over Chrysler.

He talks a good stick. Problem is, he just doesn't live his talk.

Best,
    Dennis

15. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

But what about the children?

16. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Tripod, THANX!! I was wondering when someone would tie this to "the children".

LMAO <):)

Best,
    Dennis

17. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Their is about 55 billion $ going to each Iraq, Pakastann, Afaganastan, and a couple of more countries over there. This is not to keep of terrousim but to feed their economy. Its not to build their army or learn how to run one. We pay for that seperate. I you pay attention to the news they will drop these little pieces of info. but not say anymore about it.

Afgan, Pakastan will not let us go after Ben, Most all of our allies have shut the money off and went home. Now lets get real here. If we defeated terrousim and came home then the free money would stop. Why in the hell would they want that. Hell in India and Saudia Ar. they get free school and college of the best. They have free medical care for everyone and its better than here believe you me it is. In this country the medical system is run buy the insurance carriers.

There already is a aturnitive enegry source in fact there is more than one and its not that bullshit ethanol that got everyone duped in thinking its good. I have not seen that many plants producing yet but the corn and everything using it is sure the hell high. Sugar never went back down and we don't use that much in our food supply since we subsituted it with corn frotouse.

In Indiana the governer is trying to sneak through several things like doing away with any schools that has less than 2000 students and sending them to county schools. Thats just one more thing to get your kidsk away form any parent control. He wants to do away with the commisioners,trustee and County sherrif jobs. Bullcrap you know that all it amounts to is appoint your buddies and the puplic has no control of what is going on, This kind of thing is been sneaking through in all states. It won't be long you will need to go to the state for anything you do just like in Russia.

I'm not going to proof read this cause I don't have time. Bill

18. crusha

crusha TS Member

The whole irony of this is, with the exception of their different viewpoints on the ethics of government market intervention, Ikey is _exactly_ the same sort of leader as GW Bush. Headstrong, not susceptible to the ideas of others...always there to declare victory and take credit, but not there to face the music later.

Lido never got over the fact that he didn't get the top job at Ford. It scarred him for life. Even now, he can't quit talking about it. He burns with anger at Hank Ford to this day. Even running Chrysler didn't erase that scar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

uses of terrousim