1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A. Greener double barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SteveD, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveD

SteveD TS Member

I inherited an A. Greener side-by-side double barrel shotgun. It has double triggers with hammers. There are no other inscriptions on the gun. It's in decent shape. The gunshop I took it to thought it was probably made in the early 1900's but couldn't find it in any reference guides. Does anyone have experience with this make of gun or know where I can get more information about it including its value? Thanks, Steve.

2. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

could be a copy of a W W Greener but i have not seen one with hammers ric

3. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

The Greener is a great gun to have. I have always wanted one. In a John Wayne in one of his movies told someone to go get a shotgun. As he was going out to do so John turned around and said " Make sure its a Greener". Let us know how things turn out.

4. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I dont know where you are ,,but when I have old shotguns to be looked at ,or apraised,,,Griffin and Howe is one of the best,,,,see above web site

5. K-80 GUY

K-80 GUY TS Member

Steve,

My first "real" trap gun was a Greener. That sucker weighed about 11 1/2 lbs and had a block on it the size of a 105 howitzer. Great shooting gun, no recoil. Unfortunetly it went West with one of my brothers when I went in the Army. Wish I still had it.

I got it in the early 50's and it was old then.

682 LINY has it right with G & H.

Jon.

6. 100straight

100straight Member

I don't mean to be the bearer of bad news, but "A. Greener" was not the name of the "famous" Greener family of fine shotguns. All the Greener guns were preceeded by W. or W.W., but not A..

My guess is that it is a Begian made "hardware gun" that was made under the name A. Greener. Not that that is all bad. Many of the hardware guns were well built and very shootable (I have several that I shoot regularly). And MANY of them use take-offs on famous names such as Henry, Greener, Holland, Richards, and others. In the late 1800s there was little if any concern over name infringment, especially between guns sold in Europe vs. the US. Sometimes small changes were made so an exact name copy was not too obvious. I suspect that is what we have here.

An inspection by a competant gunsmith familiar with older firearms should determine the outcome.

Shoot well and often,

Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
a greener double barrel

john wayne greener shotguns