1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A Great Trip to Fallon and Capitol City, Nevada

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bucko43, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

The wife and I went on vacation for a week to Lake Tahoe, and I went shooting at a couple of great clubs. If you ever get in the area, you need to visit these trap clubs.

My first visit was to Fallon gun club in Fallon, Nevada. I was in communication with Greg (runs the club) and he greeted me with a great handshake and a smile and invited me to shoot a few rounds. I met Mike (club President) and a few of the regulars and shot some trap and skeet. This is a great club with friendly people and super targets. The trap ranges overlook a valley, and you are standing on a hillside. When the targets release, they are in nothing but sky. No background to distract you. I believe they have 6 trap fields and 2 skeet fields. I want to thank Greg and Mike for their hospitality while I visited there. Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next club I visited was Capitol City gun club in Carson City, Nevada. I met James and Wally and Rusty Wolbers (club President). This also is a great club with super targets and allot to offer. They have 6 trap fields, 2 skeet fields, a 10 stand and a sporting clays course. I shot my first 4 rounds while it was snowing, and this was a true oddity for me (being from San Diego). I came back the next day and shot 6 more rounds including 2 rounds of Skeet with Ed and Robert. Nevada has some great folks, very friendly and helpful. Rusty doesn't shoot any more, but he spends his days reloading shells for the youth of their club. He is very proud of their accomplishments, and is a great guy for doing so. He reloads gun club hulls for the kids, so if any of you folks out there in trapshooting land want to donate any hulls to them, the club and Rusty would appreciate it. Thanks go out to Capitol City Gun Club and Rusty for their hospitality during my visit. Here's a few pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Itchyb

Itchyb TS Member

Thanks for posting this. Especially the pic of Rusty. I shot with him a little, he had some health problems and other bad luck. He indeed is one hell of a good person and good guy. I haven't seen him in 7 years. Miss the fellow and the other good guys in Northern Nevada.

3. Bucko43

I was good friends with Rustie's Daughter Ginger (Bass) Wolbers, and she was murdered by her husband back in 2008. Ginger sponsored me and several other guys when we wanted to join a private shooting club in the San Diego area. Ginger was a very good person and we miss her terribly. I started a Ginger Bass memorial shoot that happens once a year and we take the funds from the shoot and donate it to a battered women's shelter in east county of San Diego.

When I started the memorial shoot, I contacted Rusty to see if he could make it. He said he wasn't up to that yet. Her death was pretty hard on him. When I went to the club last week and told Rusty who I was, he broke down and cried like it happened yesterday. But we got to be good friends, and he's a great guy. Here's a pic of just Rusty by himself.
    [​IMG]

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Thanks so much for posting these. Good people, high desert, and trap and friendship..are you sure you didn't make a wrong turn and end up in heaven?

Along lines of nice clubs in Northern California/Tahoe area, include the El Dorado Gunclub in El Dorado County, Diamond Springs area. Despite a bad cold, I had a great time there yesterday getting in 5 rounds of trap with wonderful spring weather.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

With a daughter and grand kids in Carson City and living in north CA area most of my life, I can attest to the ratings on most of the clubs mentioned on this thread. All the fine individuals at these and all other clubs caused me to keep ATA and PITA membership books close at hand when traveling often dragging a trailer. I knew I could find any needed help from the "fraternity" of shotgunners anywhere, rather than counting on other sources. Of course, TS.Com has expanded my appreciation for we shotgunners......breakemall

6. Bucko43

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Glad you had a good time in the Silver State Kevin - hope you can make it back this way for some of our shoots.

BTW, we have a couple of blackmail photos of Kevin shooting a round of skeet .....

8. Bucko43

Ah yes, but I didn't wear a skirt like all the regular skeeters do...

9. wolfram

I guess I forgot to tell you we have rental tutus in the clubhouse - next time pard!

10. SBray

SBray Active Member

I have never shot at Fallon but a number of friends have and think the members do a great job. Everyone says how welcome they feel there. As for Capital City, NV., a friend and I shot sporting clays there a couple of weeks ago and really liked the club.

Steve

11. Aussie Dan

Aussie Dan Member

Thanks for posting this thread, they seem like a couple of great clubs.

I love the pic of the first club layout in the desert with just the sky in the background.

Regards Aussie Dan

12. wolfram

We do love the blue sky background at our Fallon club and it took a whole bunch of fill to get it. But for every good feature there is a downside which in our case is the dreaded north wind. The embankment works like an air dam and net result is targets that head off into the stratosphere. Really makes you keep your head in the gun and the eyes on the target. Must not be too bad though because there are usually a few clean scores at every match.

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nice thread..

14. Bucko43

I figured it was time to post some good things about our sport and how the trapshooting community sticks together. Greg and the folks at Fallon and the folks at Capitol City treated me like I've been shooting there for years. We all hit it off and joked and had a great time. That's what it's all about.

Thanks,

Kevin

15. warren

warren Member

Both are great clubs to shoot at, that's a golf course on the hillside abouve the Carson City Club nice contrast in the summer. The Fallon Club hosts the PITA State and does a great job, they also have a Basque shoot in the fall with a fantastic dinner. No. Nevada has a lot of neat clubs including Winnimucca and Elko I reccomend them all. I've seen Lovelock use prisnors in striped suits from the local state prison as score keepers and attendants that's where OJ is at I wonder what kind of scorekeeper he'd make.

warren

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rusty wolbers