1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

A great day of shooting!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by short shucker, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I went to club with a borrowed gun that I have been wanting to give a try in depth. My buddy Dan, lent me his new CG Impact to try out for the day. He gave me his blessing to use my reloads (I always tryout guns with factory new shells out of consideration). I've supplied shells to him manny times in the past when he's forgotten his and he likes my reloads.

I shot 2 rounds of skeet, 1 round of sporting clays, 2 rounds of continental, and 6 rounds of trap (2 round each of singles,'caps, and doubles). This all in about 5 hours time. Yes I'm a little tired right now.

I tried to find a flaw in the guns design and execution. In the end, the weakest link was me. Once I got it adjusted for me (I marked where Dan had it set so I could return it to its original settings), I set about smoking targets at will. It was amazing how quickly the guns POI could be changed accurately to facilitate the different disciplines. The guns dynamics were up to par for whatever I threw at it. I thought the 32" barrels would be a little slow for the faster target presentations. I couldn't be more wrong. This gun was a blast to shoot and I was a little sorry when I ran out of time and shells.

I shot everything from 1325fps 24 gram loads to 1235fps 1 1/8oz loads. The gun handled them all well without abusing the shooter. I will have one of these guns!

I just got done cleaning the gun to never been shot condition. I also slipped a $50 gift card in the case to his favorite restaurant (he would never allow me to give him anything knowingly).

Sorry for being so long winded, but I thought that I would share this info with anyone who wanted to know. If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

ss

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The first CG I ever shot was the one I got from the big brown truck... but I had read so much good stuff about them I knew I would be happy with mine.. and so far I have been more than happy... glad you enjoyed your borrowed gun!!lol

3. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

Any time you want to try one of my guns for $50, have at it old boy! Tom Rhoads

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Glad you had a good day ss. Just a note of warning, and I'm not saying this to be an a## , but if you buy a gun identical in every respect, for some reason it will not shoot the same. My advice to you is to buy your friend's gun...you will never be happy otherwise. Respectfully-Graham.

5. dverna

dverna Active Member

Graham.

My friend calls it "sniffing the ether". You try a new gun and can do no wrong. You buy it and it turns on you within a week.

Luckily, I did not shoot my K-80 TS before I bought it. I could not shoot the damn thing. It took months to get 'adequate' with it. I will keep it now that I have invested the time to tame it. I NEVER want to go through that again.

Don Verna

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Graham and Don,

The dealer I do a lot of business with won't let me pay for a gun in full. He always makes me pay $1 less than what is owed. His philosophy is that a gun will shoot great until it is paid for.

Yes, I have been on the receiving end of that great gun gone sour. I shot a buddies 870 and couldn't miss with it. As soon as I bought it the honeymoon was over. I still have it and we've yet to come to an understanding after 15 years together. LOL.

ss

7. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

SS, good review, looks like you enjoyed the gun. I think Guerini hit a home run with this gun. I feel a good shooter could be effective with this gun in all three sports once the adjustments are dialed in.

I bought a 32" a couple weeks ago and so far there is a lot to like,great pull trigger,mild recoil, easy and repeatable adjustments,great balance and handling. Only real issue for me is that the 6 provided chokes are all geared toward skeet and sporting clays with the tightest being a modified,will have to pick up an im and a full.

I plan on using the gun for doubles this year, another plus for me is I also use a Guerini trap top single and when I pick up the Impact it feels quite similar.

John

johnr_2008_300840.jpg

8. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

JohnR,

It's surprising how hard the Mod tube will break a target from the 27 yard line with an oz of 8's going 1200 fps in 40 degree weather! It won't turn them into smokeballs, but plenty hard all the same.

The only flaw I could find in the whole gun is the price (I'm a cheap SOB LOL). Even that issue I think I'll be able to overcome.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.